Vesc cutoff while accelerating

Hi,

It’s not my first vesc so I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but while accelerating the vesc cutsoff. Gear: 6s 5000mah lipo 25c, 245kv motor. Vesc settings: BLDC Motor max: 85a Motor min: -60a Battery max: 30a Maximum input voltage: 57v Minimum input voltage: 8v Cutoff voltage is very low just for the try.

I tried to change every possible settings I could think of but it acts the same, it even cutsoff while braking hard.

I looked for errors in the terminal but there are non.

Help please.

Ishay

not an expert but motor max and min looks to high for sure

That depends on his motor ratings… Unusual to get a single motor rated above 60A though…

yeah a 245 kv one sk3? maybe but anyway

If its sk3 245kv than 70a is max. rated for that motor.

60a mot min is ok. It can be even more like mot max.

I have some modes were max is 70a, min is -70a

Also max 50a min -70a. But im using @Ackmaniac tool and firmware. So there is no problem to set min even higher than max.

Actually HK SK3 6374 is rated at 80A so my mistake…

But on their page says 70a.

My bad, I was looking at 192kv!

That one is real beast😉

1 Like

Well mine is the Bigfoot 160 and it is rated as 75a. Any idea what I should change to make it work? Maybe a faulty DRV or MOSFET?

I’m using Ackmaniac’s tool as well

Well definitely not 85A as you have it. You’re pushing more A to the motor than it can handle…

yup, changed it to 70a and same behavior

What are your vesc temps like

@scepterr Seems hot when I touch the hit sink. Another thing I’ve noticed is soon as I squeeze the throttle all the way the vesc stops and there’s a weird sound from the motor. If I don’t push it all the way I can go up the hill. Tried to recalibrate the rc, didn’t work. Tried to replace the motor, didn’t work. It seems something with the remote or with the current peak. It does not matter what is the battery max it keeps on happening.

If you don’t see the VESc throwing a fault in the logs then it could be your battery. If your trying to pull more amps than the battery can supply (or BMS is configured to allow) than the BMS could be temporarily cutting out (by design). What battery/bms do you have (what’s the max discharge ?)

You can program a higher Motor Max than for what your motor is rated. The ‘true’ amperage is defined by Battery Max

@Ishayc What are your battery cuttoff start/end values?

Does it sound like this?

@Esk8HubsUS @jmasta I don’t use bms and this battery is working fine on a different board with the same setup but the vesc. I put the start and end cutoff to 10v and 8v just to make sure it’s not any battery sag issue.

@i2oadsweepei2 nope, totally different. The motor is not braking and the noise is different.

2 Likes

So when you set the 40 amp battery max the vesc can only take 50a continuous, but then when you set the motor max it’s based on the max amps of the motor not the max based on home many amps continuous the vesc can take? Right? (Sorry trying to learn)