VESC Heat sinks - How much does it help?

@sebaszz Well I can see that your hearing is too high for a single drive with your weight. It really depends how fast you want to go. If you want to reach around 50 km/h top speed then you should go for a 14-36 gearing. Because I saw that you were at 76% duty cycle when you reached 50 km/h. If you would go with a 14 teeth motor pulley your heat would get much better and also the acceleration.

Read @smudgeUK input about a simple air filter. I use an air intake with filter and an exhaust fan. My VESC seems to stay cool but I don’t pull the amount of amps that a skateboard does. Designing my enclosure though, it seems like I needed to get air in and out since the enclosure would be completely sealed. Here is a couple of pics of my set up.

4 Likes

thank you for your fast reply.

that’s a good idea, doesn’t this cause any issues with 12mm width belt? (less surface for grip) I originally posted this because looking only at current, temperature start to rise already quickly around 25-30A. I expected with a rating 50A continuous this shouldn’t be a problem. Maybe the mistake I make is that the graph only shows batt current?

The motor current is what rises the temperature. And according to Benjamnin Vedder the standard VESC can only handle 23A contentiously. Luckily we don’t drive contentiously with the same amperage. And the VESC can handle peaks up to 200A. I have a 10S with 15/36 Gearing and get temperature problems as well. I attached already Heatsinks but didn’t really connect them with the correct paste or a thermal pad. I hope that the temperature will get better after i done those steps. I am also looking forward to the VESC-X as they come with big Heatsinks. Need to make some tests. And you are right. With 14 teeth you would have less surface which results in less grip. Better would be to have a bigger Wheel Pulley if the wheels are big enough. But they are not so easily available. The easiest way to avoid the Temperature problems is to have dual drive. Never had a overheat with my dual.

1 Like

thanx

i first try to improve the cooling and see how that works out. probably need to improve other things as well

what does everyone think about a liquid cooled heat sink so the board can still be sealed to the elements or “water resistant” not water proof

I dont really see a point of warer cooling, I am running 4.5kW focbox in our case with max temp of mosfets 50ÂșC :slight_smile:

Is that 4,5kw on one focbox, or two? And is it while calculating with battery or motor amps?

Single focbox in dual case I am calculating motor based on motor amps :slight_smile: