VESC Help Please! Motor Judder

OK, so I’ve taken the settings to this:

Motor max/min 60/-60 Batt max/min 40/-50

I tried the suggested settings and the brakes were still weak. With this setting they seem better but cut off when I get to a certain speed. Would that be something to do with “Max ERPM at full brake”?

Am I right in deducing that the faster you’re going the more vigorous the braking power?

don’t want to be captain obvious here, are you hitting “write configuration” when you do a change?

also, do you see the full range of your throttle when you go in app configuration-> ppm -> tick display

I dont think there is a problem within the bat min max and motor min max. Try to redo your BLDC motor detection. You might also be off with wrong firmware - hardware issue.

I’m definitely writing the configuration. Most of the time I do a re-boot for good measure too.

On full throttle it’s at 91%, full brake is 4% - Sounds wrong to me but maybe that’s normal?

I’ve not done any ‘detection’ other than what it does when it connects. What should I be doing for that please?

close enough, should be ok (full throttle could be higher).

ah forgot my other captain obvious question… yes do a motor detection.

motor configuration → BLDC → click start detection → click apply → click write config

Thanks, how would I get full throttle higher?

OK, what do I need in the Current/minERPM/Low Duty because each time it says detection failed…

are your batteries fully charged? if yes, set your current to 10A (in the detect parameters)

Yep, fully charged. Just leave the other settings as is?

yes the current is the constant current applied, min ERPM is the threshold it need to obtain the low duty is the duty cycle at the end of the detection sequence

OK thank you. Done. I’ll check it out.

it passed the motor detection?

Yeah!

Brakes still aren’t great, I wouldn’t be confident in them out on the road… Any other setting I should look at?

motor max: 80 motor min: -80 batt max: 40 batt min: -20

try this? batt min -20 is pretty much the max you can go with your setup without damaging your cells. (This is debatable, tbh i dont know your cell capacity, this is assuming they are 10 000mah)

If your brakes are still full of weak sauce, i would revise your setup, double check all your connections and such

1 Like

I used to run my motor max at 60a. Then I bumped it up to 80a and got a noticeable increase in low speed torque and my motors still run relatively cool. That’s why I suggested 80a for motor max.

It’s two 5000mah in series so I think your assumption is correct…

Thanks, I’ll try that.

That seems a bit better now guys, thank you for your help. I’ll try it outside in real use in a little while once I’ve got the baby to sleep! :unamused:

With a single drive using a 5065 236kv motor, Your not gonna have a lot of torque and therefore not a lot a braking power. A more suitable choice for a single drive would be a 6374 motor.

With all due respect, with my last ESC, a 120A boat ESC I had great torque, could start from a stand-still on a slight hill, no problem, and the brakes were quite good . . . when they worked! Problem was, I could never tell when they’d actually work so that’s why I wanted to get a VESC, also the speed gain was a bit harsh, sometimes if it took me by surprise I could have easily tumbled off the back of the board if I wasn’t as quick to react.

I’m sure I just need to play around with some more settings, to get it as good as my old ESC but with less punch and more reliable brakes.

To be fair, I’ve only tried these settings inside, within a reasonable run, front of my house to the back, so I think outside they’d probably behave a bit differently…