VESC Help Please! Motor Judder

Ahem…I don’t know if you heard but it’s no longer the VESC…it’s now called the FUKYEA

3 Likes

Or alternatively SEXMACHINE

Just watch a video tutorial from a youtube how to configure VESC. VESC is if not the same more powerful than then 100A ESC. I have that too. I’m pretty sure you don’t have a correct settings (or play around with the settings too much). I Prefer you reset to default setting and do a motor detection and re configure your ppm - current control. It should be more than good.

1 Like

Agree with @laurnts My Vescs out perform the 12s 120a esc’s that I used before with minimal adjustment.

There is a setting on the VESC for dual motors over can make sure those are unchecked I believe there are two spots. One is under app configuration --> PPM --> multiple ESCs over can. I was having a similar issue with my single drive mountain board.

I’ve used the suggested settings and played around with a few other settings and it seems to be much better now.

Thank you guys.

There’s little judder, if i push off (which I pretty much do all the time anyway), then there’s no judder at all and the brakes are a lot better.

OK! Something’s definitely not quite right…

The board seems SO under-powered compared to how it was with the 120A boat ESC! It’s struggling to get up any kind of incline, almost struggling to make any sort of progress too, even on a flat. At full throttle it just kind of lists slowly up to a - slow - speed.

Braking is a bit better, but in all honesty, I’d expect under certain circumstances (maybe in the wet) that the wheel might even skid with the braking force, but with the braking force I have, I’d be lucky to skid it hitting a patch of oil!

I just don’t get it. Do I have a dud VESC!?

At this point, and I know it sounds crazy, but I’d love to just get an ESC like my boat one but with much better brakes. I’m quite disappointed in this VESC :frowning:

You could try upping your batt max to 50 or 60 amps Other than that I still think that you need a bigger motor for single drive. Something like a Tacon big foot 245kv

I’ll try that. But how come it was much more powerful with my old ESC?

Same Motor and batteries?

Whatever your old ESC was rated for set your Motor max to match. (If you had a 120A ESC use 120 as motor max). That should help with responsiveness.

That’s true, as @Jinra said. The more you turn up the motor max, the more torque power you get.
As long as your motor doesn’t overheat. You can also turn your. Batt max up. 40a is a bit low. Your battery can handle 50 or 60 easily.

Yes, same everything, just different ESC.

OK guys, thanks, I’ll try that when the rain lets up! :smile:

@Namasaki @Jinra @zblad @laurnts

Quick question for you to which I think I know the answer…

Motor min (regen) & Batt min (regen)

Am I right in thinking that the less value you put here the more powerful the brakes will be? So… -80 is more harsh/powerful than -40 ?

that is correct.

Ok, so it’s probably settings. One difference between hobby Esc’s and the Vesc is that hobby ESC’s operate in Duty Cycle mode only. And Vesc can operate in either Duty Cycle or Current Control modes.

In Duty Cycle, Voltage is controlled by the throttle and current is determined by load.

In Current Control, Voltage stays constant and current is controlled by the throttle.

Current Control offers smoother operation. Duty Cycle control tends to be more snappy and harder to control. Especially at higher voltage. I used to run 12s with dual 120a hobby ESC’s and dual 145kv hub motors and it was difficult to control.

If adjusting your current parameters doesn’t achieve the results your looking for, you could try running in Duty Cycle Mode. Or you could try downloading @Ackmaniac modified firmware and try running in wattage mode.

2 Likes

Thank you. I’ve upped the current settings and am just waiting for it to stop raining to go test them.

If that fails, I may try your suggestion, however, I do like the fact that the VESC isn’t ‘snappy’, at least it means it’s less likely to throw me of my board like the last ESC did a couple of times! lol

I also noticed that the Vesc in current mode has more gradual and smooth acceleration than Duty Cycle ESC’s. I also found that I attained higher top speed with the Vesc and I believe it’s because the Vesc is more efficient. I read up a little on the Watt control version of Vesc firmware and what I got is that it is even more gradual than the standard current control version. So you might want to stay with the standard version. I do know from experience that cranking up the motor max current will give you more acceleration power.

OK, something’s definitely up!

Here’s me testing the VESC just now. I kick off both times, both times it takes an age to get up to any sort of speed and the speed it get’s up to is about 1/3 of what it was previously capable of.

Both times I brake with FULL brakes and it barely slows me down any…

Here are my settings…

Please post a screenshot of the page under the Advanced tab

That does look pretty slow.