VESC Tool & Ackmaniac Vesc Tool Mac Builds

Not that easy. I’m running the ‘old’ mac tower and I cannot install any of the latest OS versions on my current system and certainly can’t afford to upgrade just yet. I also tried to download the link above from @Pimousse, but it also won’t open. Strangely, there are no error messages with that download, but when I go to open the app, nothing happens. I deleted the file and downloaded again and still the same - nothing. Frustrating. Hopefully, the app that @twan is working on will have full functionality soon so that I can just configure the ESC’s through his app. Until that time, I have no idea how to get around it.

Get vmware fusion older version or parallels and run windows :slight_smile:

Virtual box is a free virtual system and you can load windows 3.1-win 10, Mac OS X also Linux.

Oh right virtual box too… I am just used to vmware :smiley:

Thanks guys. I understand that there are ways around this, however, I’m pretty sure that I still have to buy Windows and I don’t really want to be forking out additional cash, particularly when it is only to run one single application.

…you don’t need to buy anything extra. It’s a free software. Install it on your Mac and it’s simulating the windows invironment. Means you can run windows software on your Mac. For free.

Here a link for download (hope you don’t mind that it’s in German :wink: )

1 Like

You still need a Windows licence. Install Ubuntu instead and download VESC Tool directly from vesc-project.com. There is a linux version.

1 Like

I beg to differ. You don’t need a license to download or run windows. After the trial period, it just locks up certain customizations and a watermark which won’t affect you.

1 Like

@Pimousse & @bsancken you are both correct. You actually do ‘legally’ need a license after a 65 day trial period to ‘legally’ continue use, but ti will continue to run just in a limited sense.

Im an MCSE from way back, Microsoft licensing is shit BTW. Better than Autodesk, but still terrible.

1 Like

I mean, if it’s just a virtualization for making run VESC Tool, the best choice is linux. Sure you still can use Windows after the trial period. But what for ?

I do have a virtual machine on Windows 7 with an expired licence. I don’t really use it except for specific software only avalaible on this OS.

Open source with Open source. VESC Tool with Linux. :slight_smile:

@ArnhemAnt Take a look here: http://dosdude1.com/software.html That’ll let you patch the installer disc (USB) so that you can upgrade to Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, etc. :+1:

Thanks for the link.

As for trying to run Windoze on mac, I give up. I borrowed a Windoze laptop from a buddy so that I can run the ESC program for the initial setup. Once I’ve done this, I’m just going to use the Android app that @Ackmaniac has developed so that I can change things via bluetooth.

There’s a really fast easy way to bypass the untrusted app blocking in OSX: instead of double clicking the app to open, right click the app and choose “open”, then you’ll be prompted only once (ever!) to accept the risk of running this software.

1 Like

Thank you!! (you can also right click and choose open on the app rather than using the Terminal command)