Vibration: how do you handle it?

Do you think it hinders performance? I was going to have a drop thru set up with foam between the khiro Drop Thru Shock Pad risers and the deck (beneath the deck where the weight is) . I thought the foam will be quite squished down but it can’t hurt

Well, I think it’s all a trade off between comfort vs responsiveness. It seems easy enough to try, but I would guess that if you used dense enough foam and/or compressed it so much that it didn’t significantly affect performance, it may not be doing much to dampen vibration at that point, but I could be wrong. I might have to try some foam under the trucks for science, just to satisfy my own curiousity.

1 Like

@Nordle & @flatsp0t - I loved my e-GBomb. Not sure if it was the brackets or the 97mm wheels - but that thing rolled NICE (and over anything)! I typically wear nicer shoes when skateboarding - Nike or similar.

Unfortunately i left the e-GBomb in the car and the window cracked… so someone needed it more than me. So lame.

Here it is (dual DIYes 5065 200kv’s, VESCs, 97 flywheels, tekton ceramics, ADS mounts, Paris 195’s w/ 5mm spacers, 8s):

As luck would have it, Subsonic moved from Portland (custom CF subsonic deck on my GBomb) right next to my house (on my way home)… So i have another custom deck in process and newer GBomb brackets to re-do my e-GBomb (we have the technology… better, stronger, faster!) OK - maybe not actually faster. I geared for 25mph and possibly w/ a tailwind hit 30mph. Stupid fast. As in i was an idiot to actually go that fast, in my neighborhood, in the dark, at 11:30pm.

That is so awful.

Mine became feet and went away before i was abla to electrify it.

It was a nice Custom made by 1166 in Germany.

https://www.instagram.com/1166longboards/

I have no picture with me for now. It was an awesome LDP setup (DontTrip Poppys)

1 Like

Flexy deck + Ultra long trucks SurfRodz extended or like 195-200mm+ trucks are vibration killers :slight_smile:

1 Like

With a Flexy deck and an 18650 Pack you can do a burning start^^

this is actually an interesting topic but i doubt how much the show is really related as different skaters ride and stand diffrently

I gave it a go: Functionally, it worked a treat! I dont have batteries or vescs yet… so I rode on Jacob’s hubs and the 90a+ urethane wheels they come with, 180mm trucks, and hard rubber work shoes. I rode 30km/h + on the way to work and it was responsive enough that I felt fully in control the whole time. I rode over potholes, wooden bridges, chip seal road etc and it was all quite comfortable, cant imagine it with good shoes and 75a 90mm wheels haha aesthetically: I could have done a better job, I blame it on being lazy, impatient and inexperienced
Here’s some photos if anyone wants https://scontent.fakl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t35.0-12/13730646_1040126739357004_1410818592_o.jpg?oh=5b395c7c7fdea74acef35c497aa95ce0&oe=578CE2A9 liquid nails adhesive https://scontent.fakl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t35.0-12/13711669_1040126719357006_1788175334_o.jpg?oh=228d6aa6ed8cb65e3fda58d8b9c325cc&oe=578DCA1C cut and press down foam pad https://scontent.fakl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t35.0-12/13702452_1040126736023671_437816865_o.jpg?oh=2b8babb67509590e591c2b1eb0fc93c8&oe=578DB4EC add vinyl https://scontent.fakl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t35.0-12/13694246_1040216309348047_456164322_o.jpg?oh=bf60e2cfc76776951d5a4f1ce4bc7126&oe=578E0850 butcher the griptape job

yeah

1 Like

@Luke Looks good from the top! Lol. Nice to see you went through with it and had good results. Smooths out the ride a bit, huh. How thick is the foam you ended up using? Looks like 1/2", maybe?

A bit hard to see, but essentially it’s a minimalist suspension system - the aluminum plate is cut in such a way that it flexes a bit just behind the front mount bolt line, then the back of the plate rests on 2 strips of rubber back-to-back.

The difference in ride is amazing, but there is a slight decrease in crispness on turning. I think I can compensate by going to slightly softer bushings in the trucks and/or using 1 piece of rubber instead of 2 back to back

The rubber is duro 40A McMaster 1376N18 (Multipurpose Neoprene Rubber Strip, Adhesive-Back, 1" x 36", 3/8" Thick).

The other big advantage to this design is that it reduces rattle of all components on the board - so batteries and electronics, frame and, obviously, me. The only thing not dampened is the motor.

4 Likes

How long do you think Aluminum can flex before becoming very weak ???

1 Like

About 7mm thick and reasonably firm

I have seen suspntion trucks floating around youtube for skateboards not longboards, but i run into the same issues. Bossted gets around this with the loaded boards that are bamboo and spriney.

I did a little research on this and it appears that so long as the deflection isn’t more than a few degrees it will go indefinitely or at least a long long time. I welcome any materials engineers to chime in (this is 6061 I believe).

I considered a more sophisticated system consisting of a pin in the front that would serve as the rotational axis, and that’s still not off the table if flex fatigue ever becomes an issue.

1 Like

Ok so i placed a peice of foam i got from harbor freight on my deck no glue and i road it down my street it takes some vibration away but feels kinda weird. Hope this helps

Did you have any durability issues with the Landyacths foam grip a lot reviews mention that?

Whoa, so happy I’m not the only one who has suffered this!

Came back from a 30min ride in the local park on friday night and my feet and legs hurt like hell. Bustin EQ deck (9 ply maple), converse all star shoes, riding on tarmac, orange kegels.

my first thought was: can i ride with non-converse style shoes? what’s that gonna do to responsiveness / feel? would a better shock absorber help (Khiro)? would bigger wheels help? 90 / 97 / 107mm Abecs? would a flexier deck help (maybe 8 ply)? does a lighter setup make that much difference (when i already weigh 110kg)?

end goal - i want to feel like i’m on a snowboard, so anything that will help do that is awesome.

am sure most of these already covered above, but in next build am going to focus on this as think the comfort of the ride is most important for cruising and enjoying it.

any other ideas?

I can definitely say the foam pad was a game changer for me. I tried riding the same set up on a regular deck and it was like trying to ride a jackhammer in comparison. But wider truck’s help too

your photos aren’t showing - can you try send again?

The Biggest difference will probanly come from a flexy Deck like the *Loaded Vanguard".