Vibration: how do you handle it?

i’ve been riding barefoot a lot lately to see if it makes it worse or better than hen i have the shoes on i usually wear.

It seems that shoes make no difference. But these insoles might.

1 Like

Anyone think that large, soft truck side bushings like this would be beneficial to reducing vibrations?

Aren’t soft ones less stable? So it would be bad if you were at higher speed?

They are Yeah, but those are also quite wide so I would hope that they will compensate for being mushy

Hey I Like This idea!:

I was thinking of using something like this and laying Grip Tape over the top of it so it’s a little more discrete. I went into the New Zealand equivalent of Walmart and found these three, a Yoga mat on the left a foam mattress in the middle and a “comfort mat” on the right (costs 3* as much as the other 2)

left Green mat is 7mm and softest Middle mattress is slightly thinner and firmer Right comfort thing is similar thickness and firmest but with a pattern.

Soooo would any of these suit? This is the best I could find out of 2 home depots and this place

@Luke Looks like they will work. If you look back at my previous post (#33, I think), I’m using foam squares that are a little less than 1/2" thick. They Smith out the ride, but don’t compromise control in any significant way that I can notice. I’m riding on the bare foam which is actually quite grippy and durable, but the final plan is to put clear grip tape over my inlaid EL wire design in the foam. One thing I haven’t figured out yet is the best way to adhere the foam to the board so it follows the concave/contours, without coming loose. I tried double sided carpet tape, but it didn’t hold well enough. If you come up with a solution, let me know!

Try shoe goo

2 Likes

I dont know the english word for it, but adhesive in a spraycan works pretty good with most foams!

1 Like

@Luke @Mobutusan Have you guys ever tried a Landyachtz Dinghy? It has really nice foam grip tape. It’s my favorite, most comfortable cruiser deck

http://landyachtz.com/us/accessories/griptape/foam-grip-tape

It looks great I’ve owned a ripple Ridge but not a dinghy. Any thoughts on the cut up foam mattress and griptape combo I am considering? I’ll probably need an inch or so of space around the edge of the foot platform for the griptape to stick to the deck.

1 Like

So i got a foam pad- and tried that idea in my picture in the last post- it felt too unusual on me toes and heels- Instead I intend to use liquid nails to stick a foam pad across the entire standing platform

my board has concave that continues right into the micro drop, creating a “cereal bowl” as shown here my plan is to basically fill in the bowl with foam padding and stick it down with liquid nails. then I want to wrap the entire board in some carbon fibre vinyl (pretty much roll the vinyl around the board) just so that everything is contained well… finally cover with regular grip tape…is my idea silly?

This was just a quick mock up to get a feel for it dont worry. it’ll look nicer oh and by the way I talked to James hop at Hopkin skates and he can import that landyachtz cushion grop into Australia if any Aussies want to use it.

1 Like

the only problem that I have with foam padding is that you are going to lose response of your board.

I find that in high speed situations where speed wobbles could ensue I make micro adjustments with my ankles… like micro tiny little changes in my stance that maintain my stability. I fear that adding foam could negate this fine level of control.

3 Likes

Hmm I see your point… I also think it’ll be hard to take off the foam if I dont like it… If it helps I only plan to go 30km/h… and my wheelbase will be 31" and I’m used to going faster on my 23" wheelbase db lunchtray… do you think I will struggle to the point of not using this ? I was a little exited to try something new for like… science and stuff :wink:

by all means do it! and report back on your findings.

Sure. I feel that the trucks are not very precise, and the bushings are quite soft and don’t give a good return to center (to be fair I wad spoiled on Rojas hybrids) . I’m upgrading the bushings as best I can, but at the moment it feels like most lost stability is coming from those 2 factors with the foam not being so significant (at Low speed at least)

@lowGuido @Luke definitely look into that Landyachtz foam grip tape. I find that its perfect for responsiveness. Every type of foam reacts differently but whatever they use feels like the right combo of material and depth.

Couldn’t find any in NZ or Aus, and the owner of an Aussie skate shop said it’ll be 4-6 weeks till he orders some in next

Thanks for the link. I’ve been looking into the self adhering foam for ease of use, but for now, I’m liking my ghetto 1/2" foam flooring. And I’m not sure how thick that self sticking foam is. My guess is that it’s pretty thin.

@lowGuido & @Luke I haven’t had any issues with speed wobbles on my drop deck with the 1/2" foam, and I’ve had it up to 27+mph/43+kph. I hadn’t ridden a drop deck before this, and even with my trucks set pretty tightly, it is still surprisingly maneuverable, but stable as well. I was afraid of the foam being to squishy, but so far, it hasn’t affected response enough for me to notice, but it does smooth out the ride noticably. I’m sure a lot has to do with the thickness and density of the foam though.

1 Like

I tried to use the densest foam I could find. Are you also putting it between trucks and deck to further reduce vibration?

No, only on top of the deck. I’m pretty sure the foam will compress too much under the trucks due to the small contact area and leverage. I’m just running 1/4" rubber risers between the deck and trucks.