What are the current bottlenecks in esk8?

Man that was harsh lol

Just being real, my friend. If I park an esk8 outside, it will be the last time I ever see it. A 24.4kg (54 lb) esk8 is essentially worthless to me. I have one that’s 34.2 lb (15.5 kg) and it’s a nightmare carrying it.

At 24kg, you might as well have an ebike, because you still have to park that outside like a car, but it’s easier to lock up.

2 Likes

Heres an idea. I mean its just an idea. Why don’t you have some fun? You know, just have a ride for no reason other than for a laugh, for enjoyment. Try it it might change your life.

6 Likes

I already know the response to this

4 Likes

So do I moonbeam

1 Like

I do that. But it’s more fun “having a ride” about 14 times a day. Because it’s your transportation. The day I have to schedule esk8 rides like it’s some extracurricular activity is the day I officially have no life left. You think that’s fun :rofl:

1 Like

Starting to think Brian is actually a bot

5 Likes

beep boop beep boop

4 Likes

No its the day you get one

4 Likes

ROFL

3 Likes

I think a “bottleneck” like others mentioned is just a safe place to ride in the city. Or maybe even a “socially acceptable”… or “cool” place to ride in a busy city. Sidewalks have cracks and are too crowded anyways, wouldn’t want to accidentally give someone a shinner.

Bike lane is almost the worst, I’ve lost track of the number of times a bicyclist has felt it important to share with me their delusion “the bike lane is for bikes”. Which is odd, because the same person will get upset if a car thinks they own the road.

The middle of the road if there is no cars, that is of course the best but in a big city, that barely happens except at midnight.

Bike paths, or more appropriately put “mixed use” paths are where it is at.

Am I crazy for thinking about moving to a different city now after getting into esk8? One that has awesome bike paths everywhere?

Marketplace specific bottleneck: If you are building a board, you can get just about everything ordered “off the shelf” except for enclosures. That seems to be the part that requires you to go to a community builder or get creative. It’s such a niche market though, and they any good enclosure should be fit to the deck anyways. So it’s a challenge, but it’s something I felt during my current build.

5 Likes

@MoeStooge wheels…

3 Likes

You just have to learn how to ride with traffic. Wait for them to catch lights.

Also, when you are going nearly as fast as them it is less of an issue. But putting around sub 20mph in the road doesn’t work to well. But if you maintain speeds close to theres it is much easier.

Also, bikes do it just fine. A big part of it is knowing your city and increasing your comfort level.

3 Likes

I concur. One of the main reasons I feel safer on my board than on a bike is that I’m riding at the same speed as cars, so don’t need to worry about someone overtaking me constantly.

2 Likes

I’m pretty new to the esk8 world, working on first build. But first impressions? There is a terrible markup and price gouging going on in the esk8 world. Complete boards not so much, but some of the components are just silly. Motor mounts for >$60 per side is just crazy. Don’t buy into this 7075 aluminum crazy. That material is ridiculously expensive and unless you’ve got a top 5% power/ usage setup, it’s overkill only hurting your wallet. Same goes for gears. I love finding 3D printed gears for $30. Metal should be the only option if your soending $30 on a single pulley.

This goes on and on. Standard longboard components like trucks, wheels etc are ok. Most of the esk8 components are way overpriced. Fortunately, the community has some members making components at much more fair pricing.

3 Likes

There are certain sites where I look at their prices for esk8 components and can’t help but wonder who on earth is buying from them.

Bottleneck (Riders/Racers). We’re currently hitting 50mph (uphill) with stuck down grip coupled with fantastic stability. Time for the riders to catch up to the capability of the machine.

6 Likes

I have an idea lol. (now back to OP)

There will always be a bottleneck in basically anything you do other wise you’d have unlimited everything lol, decent balance is the best thing you can get but like others said wallet is where it’s at.

So either go superhuman training or build exoskeletons armors ? There’s always room for training for sure.

3 Likes

This is a byproduct of an industry in its infancy.

There just isn’t a big enough market yet. I don’t mind paying because it needs to be worth it for innovators to innovate and then provide you a product. If the prices aren’t high enough with relatively so few buyers, there wouldn’t be anything to buy because it wouldn’t be worth it for the sellers

As the market grows, this will change.

1 Like