What BMS will I need with two VESCs?

Right there with you dude! Here is what I read.

fml 10char

1 Like

So you are using a dual Setup with one BMS? Which BMS are you using and did you only connect the two VESCs in Parallel to the BMS power output?

You only need one BMS per battery pack. You donā€™t need a BMS for each VESC.

The Battery Management System is designed to manage the battery. The only thing it has anything to do with the vesc is the power it is feeding it. You can not only power two ESCs off of the same BMS, which is part of the battery pack entity and not a seperate compartmentalized entity, but four. Or six. Or eight.

there is no circumstance in which you would need more than one BMS in a battery pack.

I have run 4WD builds capable of taking a 200 pound rider up to nearly 40mph while carrying an additional 30 pounds of gear in a pack. I did that on a 60 amp Battery Supports 12S BMS. I use those BMSs in all of my builds and will do so until i can finish properly evaluating these new open source ones i got from this forum.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your explanation. My thoughts were, that a 80A Continous Discharge BMS (Like the ones from BesTech) in a Dual Setup would be ā€œon the edgeā€ .

Thanks again for your help! :slight_smile:

Are those the best bms settings I can use?

Canā€™t say if they are the ā€œbestā€ They are just what I use.

1 Like

I think that i go order some BMSā€™s with that specs. It is difficult to decide sometimes

Hi! Newbie builder here and Iā€™m curious as to your recommended bestech BMS for a 10s5p or 10s6p running the samsung 30Qs? I went throughthw thread and while I still donā€™t understand everything it definitely helped in planning out my first build. Iā€™d prefer something thatā€™s reliable and has the on/off switch. Is there a concern when using the bestech BMSs when the board is powered on while charging as Iā€™ve read here as well?

Thanks to @longhairedboy for explaining the 1 BMS for a single pack part as well! I was unsure about that until I cane across this post.

Iā€™ve never had a problem charging with the board on. I think that as long as the Vescs are not turning the motors, they are not really working. My Vescs are all 2-3 yrs old and still no issues.

1 Like

What vescs are you running?

Ollin 4.2 with heat sinks