What got you into Electric Skateboarding?

Was thinking to myself “someone needs to make a safe way to brake at high speeds”. Got online and found the boosted Kickstarter page over a year before it’s release. Got tricked into backing Marbel which was the worlds worst experience. But the few seconds it was mobile I knew I wanted in.

2 Likes

My daughter got me into it. She was thirteen and was banging on about this electric skateboard so we got it for her one christmas. It was a great big FIIK with lead acid batteries that weighed a ton but she loved it. Eventually it broke and I spent a weekend butchering some lipos, chucked in my castle mamba max esc and hey presto off it went again. Couldn’t stop there though and got a cheapo brushless 280kv motor from ebay and grafted on some more lipos and off it went again only faster this time until it blew the mamba sky high. There it stayed for a year or so until I came across a video of a funny guy with long hair who was building fire breathing monsters that did crazy speeds then came a youtube binge, a landwheel a meepo and now 5 builds that have seen me fry burn pop poof snap and break just about every thing. Much depleted bank account and the biggest smiles possible from someone who has been into adventure sports his whole life.

4 Likes

For me it was a 2.6 mile walk/run I had to endure everday after school. My mom got a jobs so I had no ride. I also had to carry my viola which was a pain. It wasn’t until after a year of walking that after a long day I decided to make my life a little easier.

Around this time the boosted board came out too which I saw on YouTube. So I did some research. Ordered two 3s 20c lipos and a vesc (took 3 months to get to me tho).

Kinda funny though cause before I finished the board the extension for the train had already been finished. Sooooooo I had the board for litterally no reason… Naturally I ended up getting addicted and I absolutely love the board I have now!

2 Likes

I LOVE living in the center of town in a high-rise but the car was the most pain-in-the-ass thing I owned because there’s never anywhere to park and I hate all the pollution it makes … then one day while browsing the web a random Inboard M1 advertisement came up … I glanced at it and went on my way … then I was like WAIT…DID THAT SKATEBOARD HAVE MOTORS IN THE WHEELS? So I started searching for more info (the ad was long since gone by the time my brain caught-up)

Not a skater, never used a skateboard, about 40 years old, ended up buying a used Evolve CarbonGT to try out, and a few weeks later the car was up for sale and a Metroboard was on the way… and then of course DIY happened

8 Likes

Have been using VESCs for my robots for 4-5 years. Then Casey came along :slight_smile:

2 Likes

About 5-6 years ago I was googling electric scooters for my sons and came across a video about FIIK skateboard, which lead me to a video about about boosted boards…I think this was before Casey because I knew about boosted boards before I knew about that weird haired dude.

Anyway I had just moved down to SoCal and bought a push board for cruising along the strand and loved the idea of a board that I could legitimately use as transportation without sweating my ass off. The boosted range didn’t appeal to me, so I finally bought a Raptor 1 about 3 years ago, after fixing that a couple times, I went DIY. Now I’m completely hooked and I have boards for my whole family…and my wife calls me an esk8 nerd.

3 Likes

This! image

17 Likes

Was looking up unique Raspberry Pi projects - came across an electric skateboard project that used a Raspberry Pi that connects to the ESC. Bought all my parts and started that same project, but blew the ESC. Instead of wasting money on a 2nd ESC, I invested the money into a VESC to finish the build. Raspberry Pi is now being used as my media server.

2 Likes

Casey Niestat :frowning:

1 Like

What led me to this forum?? I remember very specifically. Was a vid by @oriol360. I was searching for an electric Bhangra (as I owned one and fantasized it being electric), found his vid on youtube, and down the rabbit hole I went. Still haven’t motorized the Bhangra lol…

4 Likes

Same. Are you talking to your little nerdy friends? Thinks she’s funny. She’ll be sorry when I start my outlaw esk8 club.

4 Likes

I actually had a bike that I used as a last miler. Then realized Berkeley has a lot of hills, and I would end up at my destination sweaty and fucking disgusting, BLEGH! Then my bike got stolen (not surprised), and I was actually looking at making the lightest bike possible to maybe combat the hills. Then I thought, wait a minute, we’re in the future now. What about an electric bike? Then realized a lot of them were like 50+ pounds. Have fun carrying that thing up flights of stairs, and then it’ll get stolen eventually, cause NorCal.

So I looked up alternative PEV’s, from scooters (LAME) then eventually to skateboards. Never skated in my life, but it was calling out to me. Now I’m thinking of getting into downhill longboarding.

Funny, I’ll be hitting the canyons from a car, to a motorcycle, now to a freaking plank of wood. Thrills keep getting cheaper and cheaper.

3 Likes

Ollin Boards love @ first sight

2 Likes

ZBOARD then Boosted…

1 Like

I could proudly say I have no idea who this Casey guy is!!! First time Ive ever heard of him

3 Likes

I saw my first e board at a Sport Chalet in college. it was huge and had some ridiculous price tag, didn’t think much of them until I saw the first prototype Boosted in a magazine, still high price tag…eventually I preordered the Copenhagen bike wheel for $1,200, wait 3 years and still nothing came out.

The money was already spent in my mind, so when I got the refund it went straight into ordering a Boosted V2. The wait was taking a long time so I was just googling reviews and whatnot and ended up here. Built my first single 6374 board way before the Boosted arrived.

4 Likes

HEY ME TOO! then I got the flykly and it never worked…

1 Like

I used to skate in middle school and high school I eventually stopped but almost in my 30s I saw the Zboard and I fell in love with skating all over again I got a couple of regular long boards my girl got a Globe drop down and I got a Landyachts pin tail and we both rode them push boards like crazy almost daily for about a year. I finally put down for my first esk8 the Raptor 2… Little did I know LMAO. After 4 months I got impatient and pre-ordered a Blink S2 in the hopes I’d get it before the Raptor 2 to practice with a less powerful board… well 2 days after I pre-ordered I found a Used Raptor 1 dual on eBay for 900 shipped. I cancelled the S2 and got the Raptor 1 since then I build 3 boards before Enertion could ship me the Raptor 2. Now I am a power junkie I like to ride fast and hard lol

7 Likes

I have been commuting about 6 miles to work by way of bus, train and my Segway Mini for a number of years now and wanted to find a faster, more fun and lighter form of transportation. I have watched many reviews on pre-built boards and have never been super impressed by them so I have decided to venture into building my own DIY board. I have been reading just about every post I can find on what parts work and don’t work and have started ordering parts for my build. I hope to have it all together by around Christmas. Having 2 teenagers with expensive sports my money isn’t always easy to funnel into a new toy/project.

2 Likes

Have you ridden the Segway Mini for that mush distance?!? I like using it to roll slow and quietly around the neighborhood. Can’t imagine using it for a commute though…have you seen their GoKart kit for it? I really want to get it but don’t know where I would use it.

1 Like