What longboarders think about Electric Skateboards

What about pivot cups then. They come in different duros, but I can’t find info on what to choose depending on ride style, weight etc… Was eyeballing venoms that come in 90 93 or 97 for my caliber II 50s weighing in at 170 lbs. Thoughts?

For our pourposes…stiffer is better. Softer is for pump/dance boards

1 Like

You make good points, but I don’t agree with most of them. My example of motorcycle/bike wasn’t only catered towards the argumennt that one is the basic of the other. But you said it yourself : [quote=“Jc06505n, post:39, topic:41925”] You can perfectly learn to ride a motorcycle [/quote] The problem here is, that poeple who take up esk8 don’t spend time with an instructor, learn theory basics and equipment safety checks. So they really dont want to LEARN to ride a longboard, they just wing it. (I remember how seriously I got introduced to skating on public roads at 40-50km/h and how much effort I put in to be as sure as possible to not be a danger or annoyance to others). You know, because its “only” a skateboard. All an esk8 allows you to cheat on is not needing basic balance and core stability that you learn by pushing. Everything else is the same, meaning you loose out on so much fun an potential. But like I said before, to eatch their own. It is scary if you find out how many poeple died on longboards without any need for it. 40km/h is enough to kill you on a board, poeple tend to forgett that. Safety trough information and training and experience is dear to my heart thats why I used to do stuff like this.

Completely disagree with this statement. Falling on a Longboard is different in all ways. Basically safety theory of falling revolves around the riding position and the vehicle you start to fall with. Meaning only similar meas of transportation and velocity give you the nescesarry muscle memory to fall correctly. I can only take myself and about 15 poeple who I showed and instructed on this as data. I actually started enjoying the training of falling so that I occasionally would flip my board intentionally and slide towards the group on my hands and shoes for fun. Experience and said muscle memory make all the difference falling. Saddly I don’t have a good example but this is a recording of mine, falling at 40-45km/h. Recovery time about a second, no scrapes, no rash not a single ounce of pain.

Panicking and thinking gets you seriously hurt (during a fall), what you need is an empty head, good muscle memory and reactionary muscle tissue. I mean people used to try runing it off when they fall (poeple from the forum), until every last one of them came back for advice because they got seriously injured trying something like this.

3 Likes

It’s all Razors fault.

Sometime around y2k a $120 Aluminum fold up scooter was invented and nearly everyone got one for Christmas except for the ones that didn’t wait in line on Black Friday.

Yes it really was $120, maybe more idr…

Kids just quit riding skateboards or never tried as the razor was just easier to ride, and everyone had one.

Nowadays as a kid, it’s normal to never leave your room except when your parents chauffeur you .7 miles to school.

They don’t even ride bikes or scooters anymore.

7 Likes

Response of the year award :joy::rofl:

2 Likes

I live in SF. Funny story, every time I go through the park near Haight I get a bunch of skaters yelling “cheater”. It can get annoying.

1 Like

Stare at them. Throttle up hill. Puts on shades.

1 Like

I definitely agree with the assessment in the OP.

For commercial boards, whatever, it doesn’t matter. Most off the shelf longboards have similar flaws.

Its just a bit worse for Eskate, and I don’t anticipate it really changing.

But its also a bit of an issue with the community. I don’t think its anybodies fault or anything, I think its just because the Eskate community is just so isolated from the longboard community.

It would have been so much better if Silverfish were still around, and the Eskate builders were able to have a home there among all the other skate disciplines, but Silverfish was already too irrelevant by the time Eskate communities started building up.

Its a little better here because its a builders community, and sharing information kinda what this place is all about.

Thats kinda the whole reason I’m here really. I’m actually not all that interested in building an Eskate ATM ( someday hopefully ) But this place is shaping up to be a pretty nice little knowledge bank.

And forums were always a much better place for actual discussion and knowledge building than places like Reddit.

edit: Whoops, accidental bump. I saw the last reply was March 6th, and I thought it was current because today is also the 6th.

1 Like

Getting more annoying hearing it almost every time I leave now.

“Cheater! You need a push skate board. Stop cheating!! “

Some people are clearly joking, but others seem to really think technology is cheating. I can only assume they don’t ride motorcycles or cars because next time they see a bicyclist or the Flinstones, it’ll get turned around on them.

And finally, does this drunk jackass really think I don’t have a normal board. I felt like yelling I guess you can maintain 20 miles an hour in San Francisco pushing on your board, but it just wasn’t worth my time.

1 Like

Jumping on the necropost to agree with this haha true it makes a world of difference when you kinda “know” instinctovely how to fall and minimize damage!

Cheeeeater!

You can’t raise a dead thread (It’s a good read)

2 Likes

The guys we encounter riding South Beach at night have actually been pretty cool. Had one guy keep up with us for a while riding in the teens MPH he was was doing some massive kicks though.

Skateboarders I don’t encounter often but longboarders seem to be cool with Esk8.

3 Likes

I grew up riding street, pools and vert (12foot half pipe in back yard growing up) My buddys thought longboards/ downhill was lame. As did i. Tried it eventually and changed my mind. I definitely thought esk8 was lame at first. Back when boosted was pretty much the one and only and top speed was like 18mph. (That’s just too slow for a longboard) Skateboarders, primarily street skaters have always been a bit narrow minded. Street skaters still don’t like longboards much and downhill has been around for quite a bit now. I think there’s always going to be a little bit of animosity there. Longboarders are more open minded i think because they are use to the street skaters talking shit. Plus they wanna go fast to. Most street skaters i know can rock the park all day, but have zero interest in going faster than a light hill.