What the Foc is FOC?

Hi there,

I would like to know what FOC is and what it means to run your board in FOC. The more details the better.

Cheers!

UPDATE: Here is the For Dummies version for anyone looking for the same answer I was. Feel free to read down the post for more technical information. People have provided some great links and info.

Comparing FOC to BLDC could be like comparing a 4-stroke to a 2-stroke or an on/off switch to a dimmer switch. BLDC is like an on/off switch when providing power to the motor. FOC is more like a dimmer switch when providing power to the motor. Very much like your 4-stroke motor, FOC is smoother and quieter and like your 2-stroke motor, BDLC can provide more torque but is louder and more rock and roll.

FOC will accelerate faster at low RPMs because it manipulates the torque directly. BLDC will accelerate faster at higher RPMs because of the bursts(on/off switch).

BLDC has a more raw feel to it. FOC is smoother and more refined.

FOC will lower your top speed a small amount.

2 Likes

Field Oriented Control

2 Likes

Sounds very technical… What does it do?

Click the link and see. It’s a surprise

7 Likes

I did… Honestly I got past the first paragraph and gave up… I scanned the rest and didn’t see any words I recognized.

I can see it has something to do with torque management.

I have heard all kinds of different stories of what it can do like make your board quieter. All I know is it sounds FOCing cool.

It would be great if someone could treat me as if I am their learning impaired nephew and break it down in a way anyone can understand. If you where selling a bag of FOCs to me how would you break it down for me and what would be the benefits. The KISS version.

I apologize ahead of time if my question offends anyone.

5 Likes

Once you read that…

And

“BLDC” or Counter electromotive force timing control. Uses a sequence of phase pairs with timing to move the motor in a direction, not all phases have current running through them at once. This means the FETs open and close and burst, bursts are loud

“FOC” or field oriented control, has syncronous power through all the phases like AC but instead of a sine wave it is trapezoidal. Torque is modulated with constantly flowing current, as the FETs are always open with modulated gates, making it quieter.

Now as my dad told me when I was young, you can read right? Figure it out :slight_smile: search is in the top right broski.

4 Likes

here is some information from a different discussion:

2 Likes

Hey dude, @Deckoz isn’t leading you astray. It’s totally worth the challenge to wrap your head around some of the technical info involved with building a wicked slasher. For me, this took months of reading and studying all the builds and asking folks about why they did what they did. I promise it’s not as boring as it sounds. You tube has some good vids as well. Good luck man. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

So would bldc make that whiney sound compared to FOC?

1 Like

Yea… But FOC under heavy load(hi torque demand) screams too. But during normal cruising, it’s just a wirrrr. Not a whine(like that AC light ballast sound that bldc makes)

2 Likes

Wow man. Fantastic answer. Well explained and visual. Explaining technical things in an easy to understand way is a talent, it’s hard to do as you can see by the previous responses. Great Job and thank you @professor_shartsis !

@Lionpuncher I agree with you and ill get there once I begin my build over the winter. For now I just wanted a simple explanation which @professor_shartsis did fairly well. If Neil DeGrasse Tyson can explain astrophysics to children and Texans then someone should be able to provide a similar type explanation of FOC to me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@GXwagon thanks, though the only part i actually wrote myself was this:

the rest of the explanation was sourced from the link and pictures included.

@professor_shartsis “If you want to make and apple pie from scratch you must first create the universe”

4 Likes

@GXwagon i’d compare FOC to somehow making the explosions in a car’s engine a little “gentler” — you lose some power but the car runs smoother and more quietly.

Bldc isn’t trapezoidal, it is stepped pwm current

The BackEMF is trapezoidal.

FOC is Trapezoidal or Sine, for both the current and BackEMF…

Insta spin, while some of the libraries are in the VESC project. Requires sensors, instaspin libraries are only used in Sensored BLDC.

Pure BLDC is PWM counter electromotive timing control. Go look at the repo.

Okay let me try this simple explanation thing now that I have heard some responses.

Comparing FOC to BLDC could be like comparing a 4-stroke to a 2-stroke or an on/off switch to a dimmer switch. BLDC is like an on/off switch when providing power to the motor. FOC is more like a dimmer switch when providing power to the motor. Very much like your 4-stroke motor, FOC is smoother and quieter and like your 2-stroke motor, BDLC can provide more torque but is louder and not as smooth.

Close?

1 Like

Yep pretty much it…

But FOC can create more accurate torque vectoring at lower RPMs, and is more efficient. So FOC will accelerate faster at low RPMs because it can manipulate the torque directly. Where bldc will accelerate faster at higher rpms because the bursts.