What the hole, BeaMiS?! Why you make the fuck? šŸ§

Okay, so Iā€™m doing an autopsy on the Muirderer mini cruiser that I got from @gogomrrobot. I bought it knowing that it wasnā€™t working, and that possibly either the BMS or anti spark switch had failed. Upon opening it, everything seemed to look okay except for one little spot on the BMS heatsink. Iā€™m guessing this wasnā€™t an intentional modification to increase current flow. :joy: So, does anyone know what, or how this may have happened? Iā€™ve never seen a melted hole on a BMS before. I donā€™t see anywhere else or any other components that look burnt, but Iā€™m assuming that this is not salvageable, right? I just want to understand what may have been the cause of death for the BMS, before I start clipping wires, and if it could have affected the switch or anything else connected to it.

20190420_145203 20190420_145347 20190420_134202

1 Like

I have no idea how you unfuck this thing you did.

10 Likes

WTF, did someone drip gallium on that or something?

4 Likes

@brenternet No idea. Iā€™m trying to figure out how it gave up all of its fucks already, before I even had a chance to give any fucks of my own to it.

@b264 Could be, or maybe it was a drop off Satanā€™s sweat? Maybe itā€™s not even the problem?

Gogo probably left his soldering pen on and it melted right through

1 Like

Was there maybe a screw through there or some other conductive material? My guess is that a live wire has been rubbing on something, worn through the insulation and shorted on that spot.

What does the other side look like?

1 Like

Itā€™s shorted

Ive done this before on this exact same bms

When B- is connected, the whole thing is basically ground. So touch the batt+ anywhere and BAM!

9 Likes

@thisguyhere Thanks for the confirmation. I guess this is just a paperweight now, but I was expecting that. Looked like the BMS had come loose in the enclosure, so a positive wire must have gotten rubbed through on the heatsink. Iā€™ll look closer to see if there is a burned/melted wire I missed. When this happened to you, did any other components get damaged, or was it limited to the BMS?

1 Like

Dont think it damaged anything, in fact i think i kept using that bms for a whileā€¦it was wired for discharge too. And it kept the pack 100% balanced

1 Like

Oh, thatā€™s great if it still should work. Iā€™ll keep looking around for the reason why the board wonā€™t turn on.

Exactly as @thisguyhere said. Its shorted out. One dark late booze filled night I soldered on an xt backwards and the result looked very similar. Mine was un-salvageable as was only one vesc strangely.

2 Likes