Wheel got dragged few meters now it is rendered useless :(

Hey everyone! Hope I am using the correct topic… Sorry if I don’t.

I built a single drive board with ABEC11 83mm FlyWheels (yes those green ones) all about the build soon… I was riding few weeks ago, and then all of a sudden I felt that the power system has stopped completely. I think the driving wheel was actually dragged on the asphalt for a good few meters and then later I found out this:

I am actually not entirely sure that this was the cause since I only noticed this a week later I think, when I rode on some good flat asphalt.

So what happened you ask? Why did the wheel suddenly stopped? Well, a small branch somehow got into the driving system, I mean right into the inside of the belt, it was just the right size 15mm width (or maybe it was cut after it got in), and it was a mere centimeter in diameter. it got into the inside of the belt and then got jammed between the belt and the gear that is connected to the wheel placed snugly along the width of the belt as if it was another gear in the system, and it was very effecting at stopping the wheel. I did not fall or anything luckily enough.

Anyway, this is ruining my ride ever since, there are noticeable bumps when I ride and I started noticing them even on bad asphalt now… Any Idea what I should do? should I sand it? is it stupid to sand it? Is there’s anything to do at all… :frowning: did this happen to anyone before? I see people drifting their wheels and nothing happens to them, how come this happened from just a small slide? I paid like 80 pounds for these and now the whole set is useless :cry:

Will appreciate you help or even just some sympathy :slight_smile:

I think you just have to replace the wheel Im afraid, flat spots cannot be good for everything because I am sure it adds vibration. You could replace the drive wheel with a clone wheel by buying a cheap flywheel clone set then you have backup drive wheels when that ones runs out.

4 Likes

When drifting/sliding the wheels are still spinning so the wearing is even around the wheel.

If I were you, I’d first try to even out the edges of the flat spot so the transition is less. If that doesn’t help with the bumps, the next step would be sanding the whole wheel so it’s completely round. If you need to take a lot of thane of, you should consider doing it on the other wheel on the same axle as well.

You could also try switching the bad wheel for a good one on the motor side and see if it’s less noticeable.

Else, have my sympathy. Cheers!

2 Likes

Find someone with a lathe and have them cut your wheel true.

4 Likes

Or use your throttle power and sandpaper- sand it down, so no need for lathe then :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you people! I like your suggestions, I will try to sand edges and replace the driving wheel. If it will not help I might use the throttle to sand the two rear wheels… Other than that, if it wont help or make too much mess I will replace the wheels :frowning:

Anyone know why they cost so much compared to other wheels?

Thank you again for the suggestions! @rwxr thanks for the info about drifting too!

ive seen flat spots on rollerskate wheels caused by skid stopping, i have a friend who refurbed his wheels by putting them on a lathe and turning them all down to the same size this would probably work here but would reduce the wheel side, how ever you wouldnt then get the horrible thump thum thump for the flat spot when moving along

1 Like

Update: Tried to sand off the wheel while using the motor, took 30 minutes to scrape off just 1mm from the diameter and I still have a flat surface!

Next time nail the sandpaper down to a flat surface like a wood plank that is as wide, or wider than the wheel. Will give you a more even surface :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dude…just go out on the street hold the board slightly up and do a burnout. This is how people without a lathe shave MBS wheels. The asphalt won’t gunk up like sand paper…and will be a lot faster lol.

Example: aslphalt quickly damaged your wheel. It can quickly fix it too

3 Likes

Sand it down some more on the pavement and then put it on toe side front. Jump off immediately next time.

2 Likes

I was scary, I was at top speed and it just stopped, I barely held on, not sure jumping off is the right thing to do, and it happened so quickly I could not understand what was happening…

I am not good at intended burnouts, never tried. can you give me a video that shows how it is done? How do you make a burnout with an even wear of the wheel?

Well, with the flat spot it’s going to be tough. It will want to bounce if you do it like kaly did with the MBS AT wheels.

I think it would work best if you found just the right concrete, nice rough concrete that has a broomed finish. Or good road asphalt that isn’t smooth, yet isn’t just all rocks.

Hold the deck up off the ground, and spin it up to full song, then gently lower it until it just barely touches. Try to keep it from bouncing.

Look for green to show up on the pavement. Keep it up for a while the first time, maybe 30 seconds once you see green dust.

Then let it spin half throttle for 30 seconds without touching so the air cools it a little. Then check the flat spot again.

Before you start, take a sharpie and mark up the flat spot so you’ll be able to tell if the bouncing is wearing down that part of the wheel.

2 Likes

If you have single drive, the drivegear anyways will wear fast, and with a new set of 4 you can replace it 3 times more then;p

1 Like

I actually like your idea :slight_smile: problem being I cannot find a place that ships these FlyWheel 83mm any more… If you know a place can you please share?

here you go:

Sickboards is located in The Hague, Netherlands. i hope this helps

1 Like

With shipping it will be € 103,10 It is expensive, but at least it is an option since they are shipping to my country.

Thanks!