Where can you get a GOOD vesc these days?

The focbox pisses me off and ollin and axle seem to be gone or too busy. What about this?:

I don’t know much about these things but they literally look good and that’s something. If I remember right its just a couple changes for bigger capacitors or something to make it more robust and good enough and hoping these people do it How are maytech holding up?

1 Like

Why does it piss you off?

1 Like

probably cause we’re not sure when/if we’re gonna get them

4 Likes

Can’t get a good price on them, even if I buy 100 at a time, and fail rate still seems too high.

2 Likes

what vesc out there doesn’t break and what are the fail rates?!!! If we have a forum and cant even figure that out I’m pissed and feel a fool. we could turn the forum into a conglomerate or whatever its called and group buy everything from the best and get people here who know what the best is to make sure we can get it. I’m broke though it’s seems the whole electronics world is getting cheaper and we’re getting more expensive…years now

3 Likes

I will pay $150 for a chaka vesc any day (which was the barebones cost, add in $8 for the caps and cap board), I know it won’t fail and if it does, it’ll be taken care of.

But $155 for very little warranty, on a product that so far, I’ve had 1/10 that I sold already fail, is too much. To be told the fail rates are super low in the US, and then find out the rate rate was around 40%, is not good. And I only know because a customer hail mary reached out to me, assuming he couldn’t get any help. How many others didn’t reach out because they figured it was just a waste of time? 1/10 is still too high for me.

I’m also assuming these cost around $70 assembled to enertion. I know 100% markup is normal, but at least offer a decent price if we’re going to buy 100 of them at once. Best price I can get is $130 per focbox in bulk, should be more like $100.

As a result, we are forced to look elsewhere for other vescs, which is why hummie created this.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried the focbox yet because I’ve been reading about all the failures. I’m still using the older HobbyKing version and haven’t had one failure yet through my bumbling beginner stages… I just got two to test from diy because I want the bluetooth… I hear people blow those up too though.

Isn’t the fail rate because of people running 12s on FOC? I installed a set of Focboxes on a local friend’s board running 10s bldc unsensored and it’s been working just fine.

1 Like

It’s called FOCbox for a reason… If it can’t run FOC, than why put it in the name?

So far, I can’t say much about it. From my testing, I had no issues or failures personally. But I also haven’t pushed them very much either.

@Hummie @evoheyax maybe get involved with @stewii on his vesc6 based ESC? Which is being sold ATM for the same price as focbox

thanks. if it’s shown to be reliable sounds good and I guess I’d get his. wish it was cheaper of course. I guess that’s the market. Id like to find a Chinese place that’s good and like 2/3 the price but you think that wont happen?

1 Like

My maytech’s are good after over a year on 12s. But no foc and I have short battery wires. But honestly I would prefer FOCBOX if they could be got a good price.

1 Like

This seems the best solution. Its supposed to be better or equal to Focbox in reliability and since stewii is providing all the BOM, schematics and stencil files anyone can start manufacturing on large scale.

Interesting reviews. I push focboxes with 12s in foc on all of my builds. The focbox actually is very durable and doesn’t fail (usually) without operator error.

As to not hijack this thread I’ll just back out

2 Likes

In my opinion, they should have left the name VescX

While I mostly agree, it’s really a matter of luck whether you get a bulletproof focbox or not…and getting 60 day warranty coverage is near impossible

Mine was voided because I was using ackmaniacs firmware :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Ah I see well I suppose there has to be some sort of limited liability on Enertions end. They can’t really guarantee firmwares that weren’t made for the focbox originally? I can see both sides though

Had no idea the failure rate was high… I’ve been running my Focboxes on 10s for 9 months and never had a problem now I have them on my new 12s build and still running smooth. They don’t even get very hot.

@psychotiller what’s your experience with Maytech VESCs? I’m assuming you QC them to make sure there are no solder balls before you send them out to customers. Beyond that though, have they been reliable?

Lol that’s hilarious since it’s marketed as running opensource firmware based on 4.12 I went through this circus once already lol I just tell people assume no warranty unless you pay $80