Where to buy hub motors?

Do u have any evidence that a motor with more poles or magnets will have more torque or efficiency as I’ve searched and haven’t seen that. It seemed that more poles would increase torque and efficiency but thus far all I’ve read it would be a minimal increase possible. It allows more so slow turning accuracy like a stepper motor but those many poles must all be smaller to fit and weaker in that way. I’ve yet to hear from anyone who knows differently and I’ve asked a lot I envisioned w more poles its the same effect as decreasing the distance the motor must pull…double the poles would be half the distance to pull, and magnet strength increases at square of distance so half the distance is more than double the torque… But they keep saying doesn’t work that day and at most more poles means u can just use thinner magnets so maybe for same motor outside diameter u could increase stator size and the airgap diameter, nor thickness, by maybe .5mm making a slightly bigger lever and thatd be its torque increase. And better km number.

can not answer you, I am not an engineer at this field.

the proof I have is simple. as I selling many motors, I did use some of them on my boards. like said I was have some 6374 motors and hub motors, among then the 28 pole kind will have more powerful and produce less heat…

I suppose maybe there’s some design issue among them, not only poles.

These are @torqueboards hubs except he has a better desgined front retaining plate. Without the improved urathane retaining ring these hubs will come apart very quickly.

@hummie, I have the older 14pole and the newer 28pole version of these hubs. The 28 pole version has substantially more torque but did seem to get hotter. Id say only slightly faster than the 7 pole version though. My 4wd board with the fastest 50 meter time at the performance day ran on 4 x 130kv hubs like these. The only issue I have with them is urethane loosens up on them just like every other hub motor Ive tried. They also have temp sensors built in so no worry of overheating if you have it set up in your vesc.

Right, replaceble urathane always have loose problem. them have asked me many times for opinion on this. but we don’t have a solution yet. the another factory just making the urathane not replaceble to solve that…

This is 99% of the vendors for you… This is the problem. There’s some vendors who are electric skateboard builders, and theres vendors who are businessmen.

Most do not adequately test or actively build anything. They get some factory in china, who has a hub motor design, to put their logo on it and now it’s theres. No real testing, no real world, hard testing.

Even ones who do, don’t usually test it. If there was a viable option, I wouldn’t be making motors. No one seems to understand why small motors fail…

4 Likes

What do you mean non replacable urathane? Is it glued on?

they just forming the urathane layer directly on the out runner. (or say inject on it)

1 Like

Has anyone tested this dual hub motor? I am thinking of buying a set to build a lightweight 6s to 10s board. My board will be for flat ground. Not much hills. I want to do so research before buying. I see a few sellers online selling this set.

I’ve nearly pulled the trigger on these a few times. I’ve heard they’re quite powerful. The issue I’ve found with extensive hub testing is not the lack of power but lack of reliability/durability. It will be interesting to see how long they last and how hot they get under serious load.

Banggood is selling this set for $140 with free shipping. I also have a 10% code. So $125 for this set is temping.

We’ll I’ve shared my research in developing hubs, so in case you missed it:

Unless you want to ride around at 10 mph or less with very weak acceleration, or unless your super light (under 130 lb) and want to ride below 15 mph with weak acceleration, then you will have issues in the not too distant future. Most likely, to start, wheels will slip and maybe even come off. In the long term, mechanical parts may fail, or a short in the motor.

The choice is yours… A little bit more money gets you far better hub motors that will last 5-10 years instead of 3-6 months.

1 Like

This guy knows what’s up. Most of the hubs I’ve encountered had some sort of issue pop up with the urethane ripping off or warping due to heat or screws breaking off or annoying clicking sounds etc. I’m really excited to get my hands on the new Hummies and Carvons to put them to the test.

Thank you. I will wait.

The funny thing is pretty much all hubs can have a lot of torque. Why?

The more power you through into a motor, the more torque you’ll get. This is not a linear relation, but rather an exponential relation, so at some point, more power will not mean more torque. And the more power, the less increase in torque. All motors have a different relationship curve based on how strong the magnets are, the amount of copper in the motor, and the size of the stator.

Smaller hub motors will need more power to get the same torque as larger hubs. This can lead to you burning up your motors. With hummies old motors, I still got a year out them. Like all hubs, urethane problems were an issue. With the new double wide motors, I can pull way more amps and still not get hot.

more amps = more torque (again, not a 1:1 relationship, and there is a limit to this relation). It’s not rocket science. Just science.

Carvon v3’s and v4’s seem to be good. I rode the v3’s recently and I have to say, they felt pretty nice. Not the the most torque, but smooth. The v4 X’s, since they will basically be like v2.5s but with a better mechanical design, should be solid.

But not all of carvons motors are high quality IMO anymore, especially since they are reusing other cheap hub motors now for some of the hubs.

Hummies v4’s are coming soon… These solved all of my problems. for $450 a pair ($500 custom kv), $800 quad ($850 custom kv), they are far cheaper then the rest of the market in that motor size.

kv alone decides torque per amp and a linear relationship. A small motor with same kv will produce same torque per amp as a bigger motor. if it has a high kv then it just needs more amps and can produce the same torque. the linear relationship of amps to torque ends when the motor iron, stator, is too small and it ends up saturated with magnetism (no more steel that can be further magnetized). at that point the linear relationship ends and amps turn straight to heat. things get hot when they have a low km which is the torque to losses relationship and a bigger motor will have more wire so have less winding resistance so not get hot

1 Like

hello men im interesed in this thing could you sell me one ? send me a message please thanks

That depends on what you consider low torque, because strong hub motors can actually be a good alternative. Especially If the top speed is higher.