Why are sensored setups ignored?

Thank you sir! if you have any questions pm me!

@Nasty I would use a sensored motor with VESC if there was a single-motor option that had the right specs and price point.

However, I’ve found that VESC is pretty smooth from a standstill when uncensored, so I haven’t put more thought into it. I agree w @lowGuido that it seems like more complication that wouldn’t add too much to performance. As VESC’s FOC mode improves, sensored seems to make even less sense.

An $85 63mm 245Kv sensored motor would entice me to try it!

1 Like

By giving the motor a little more gas, you can eliminate the jittering on startup.

A push off is 10x better though, and also helps to keep your balance.

1 Like

@treenutter - I’ll have 63mm 230KV which will plug directly into VESC with a modified RC port - for the hall sensor port. Motors are $90 sensored.

2 Likes

@Nasty These are the motors I use! :grinning:

1 Like

Sounds good @torqueboards! I can’t wait to see them!

@Nasty @onloop is right; at first I was a little hesitant to throttle up enough to avoid the jaggies. Once I figured out the throttle curve of my controller, I figured out how to start very smoothly with just a little technique.

I do understand how great the VESC performs with sensorless. But in this case I have an option. I think we can all agree on what the better option is. I really think sensors will be a standard in the future.

It is possible to make the R-SPEC with sensors, But I chose not to do it.

Firstly it increases the retail price of each motor by around $20.

Secondly, it only does one thing, that is improving start on inclines. It does nothing else positive.

Finally, it reduces high-speed performance so it needs to get disabled at higher RPM if you want the best performance & efficiency

It also adds another layer of complexity that could cause problems. Wires & Connectors & Software.

To summarise; More expensive, More complex, Giving very-minor advantage - that is made redundant by using your foot to get a small amount of momentum which also aids in balance.

A good comparison is a manual transmission gearbox vs automatic gearbox in a car. Trying to hill-start a car with manual gearbox requires some learned skill. Some timing with your feet to apply just enough gas whilst releasing the clutch… otherwise a jerking vibration & stalling of engine will occur.

Automatic gearbox just starts. no skill required.

So which one is better? & why do they still make both options?

4 Likes

For one, manual transmissions are more fun. :grin: Personally, my favorite board I ride has a sensored SK3 190kv on 6s with an FVT 120a. This board will do 23mph with 20t on the motor and 35t on the 90mm wheels. I weigh about 165lbs and this gets me up some decent hills. I actually got kicked off a board with an unsensored HK 150a esc when I gave it too much throttle. This was not on start up, but accelerating from about 8mph. I sensored that same set up and no more throttle issues. So, sensored definitely has it’s advantages. I’ve kinda become “sensor happy” lately.

2 Likes

Why don’t u put liquid eclectic tape or something on that bare stuff? If that were me, running at 50 volts especially, I’d be scared to touch my board. Nice double plug idea.

It’s quiet without sensors using vesc on foc. Very quiet.

Your experience is not directly related to the sensors alone, it was because the ESC you have relies on sensors to track the motor position. So that ESC needs Sensors to work well. Just like all other hobby grade ESC.

The VESC however, is different, it doesn’t actually need sensors to keep track of the motor speed.

When the motor is rotating while the controller is off, the computations and the direction are tracked. The duty-cycle to get the same speed is also calculated. This is to get a smooth start when the motor is already spinning.

When using the VESC, the only thing the sensors are used for is starting, then they get switch off because it is inefficient.

I have a board with a VESC. It starts ok, but the sensored board starts even more smooth. I still have yet to try the VESC sensored. That’s my next plan.

Correct. In Hybrid mode.

Running sensorless on normal ESCs runs the risk of motor stalls (when you get “kicked off”) - this happens usually when you give too much throttle and the ESC thinks the motor is going much faster than it is (it has to guess) because you’ve not accelerated fast enough (due to weight, physics etc) - The ESC loses sync with the motor and gets the timing badly wrong.

It is frightening and can be very dangerous at speed. I’m always cautious at top speed just in case it happens. Sensored eliminates this risk.

The VESC seems to handle this fine in sensorless mode but after testing a VESC for a friend, I’m holding off until

a) it can easily be configured without a laptop (i.e. Bluetooth Android app) as you really do need to be able to program it out on the road. b) becomes less fragile. Even a firmware misload (wrong version) kills it dead.

I’m running a good old EZRun 150Amp (is the FVT 120 basicallly a knock off?). It runs fine and pulls like a train. It will “almost” pull away from a standstill though I’m used to kick starting now. It’s also seemingly bomb proof.

However, the VESC has on particular advantage over car escs - the acceleration is smooth. I can accidentally throw myself of teh back of my board if I carelessly flick the throttle :slight_smile: - the VESC builds up more gradually.

1 Like

The FVT 120a is not affiliated with the EZRun.(as far as I know) This is apparent when you hear the screeching brakes of the EZRun and not the FVT. That is the only reason why I preferred it to the EZRun. I think the EZRun is a more reliable ESC, but does not come with the sensored option. And, like I said, I’ve gone sensor crazy. Sensor every motor! The VESC’s start up is lack luster. If I could figure out how to get it to accelerate like the car ESC’s that would be awesome.

the VESC has startup boost control, you can dial in exactly how much you need based on your circumstances. You should try it.

Haha yea I really should cover that up no lie… Thanks!

I meant acceleration is lack luster. I have startup boost set to 0.1. I read some where that you shouldn’t go any higher than that. I should also mention this is a single hub motor.

So its not the VESC, its your drive train.

What Hub motor do you have?

I have also had the VESC on a geared set up. Same results. I would say it’s not the drive train. It’s probably the settings. I’ve gotten it to where I’m satisfied but not ecstatic. This is why I default to the 6s car ESC, but I would like to have an 8s sensored set-up. This is as close as I can get.