Why are sensored setups ignored?

It is! It’s the “hybrid” option you see as opposed to “sensored” and “sensorless”. I currently run this mode and I love it. I know most the veterans here run sensorless, but I don’t get why you wouldn’t use it if it’s there. I kick off the majority of the time, but sensored can really help when you’re trying to kick start up a hill, as you can sometimes get to near stand still before actually accelerating.

Most times I use the sensors is when I have my feet in a nice and comfortable position and I’m too lazy to kick and readjust :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I think it’s a great option even if you don’t use it. I know on my production board (marbel) and riding Boosted (friend’s Dual+) - sensored is really nice at start and on hills. I still typically kick a time or two - habit. But on hills and such it’s nice.

All of my DIY’s are un-sensored currently, but i’m going to try it on one of them. Think the GF will like the smoother start.

When slowing down on a hill - does the sensored setup perform better? may be missinformation, but i’d heard they had better torque on hills? Anyone can comment that’s tried both sensored and unsensored on the same setup?

1 Like

I’m actually running 1 sensored 1 sensorless right now because the sensors on 1 of my motors are borked. It doesn’t really help slowing down and feels just the same as sensorless. I wouldn’t say startup torque is better, but it helps the motor not ‘cog’ and get confused on how to start rolling, so it may give the illusion of better torque.

4 Likes

Cool thanks @Jinra! I guess the only possible advantage is torque uphill - sensored vs not?

Anyone able to do comparison like Onloop does w/ timer on a set stretch (and uphill would be great)?

1 Like

Sensored isn’t good for high speeds due to inefficiency (also gets the motors pretty toasty!), so it’s only applicable in hybrid mode until it reaches a couple miles per hour depending on how you set it. I doubt you’ll really notice any difference seeing as sensorless can’t really go uphill without a kick anyway. My motors switch to sensorless at 3mph.

I wouldn’t say uphill is the only advantage of sensors. Like I said, I use it for when I have my feet in too comfy of a position for me to want to kick start, so I can stop from a dead start at a light or stop sign.

2 Likes

i do that all the time with no sensors. I guess it depends on the weight or the rider and a number of other things like if you’re stopped on a slope or if the road isn’t smooth or the voltage you’re running maybe as well.

It works for me in sensorless most the time as well. Occasionally though, I get a bit of cogging from dead start.

@Jinra Just looked through BLDC Tool and it seems that “hybrid sensor mode” is only available in BLDC mode :frowning: It’s not there for FOC, unless I’l missing something.

FOC has it too. take a look at the sensorless erpm field in the FOC tab. That’s the erpm where it kicks it into sensorless.

2 Likes

Hey Dexter, I bought from the previous batch with the wrong plug. Is there a way to get an adapter so I can use the sensors? I really don’t want to solder all of those wires.

Didn’t the head I sent you work? You just pop off the jst header and place it on tbs motors

1 Like

The plug you sent does not fit the TB Vesc. I’ll pm a photo later, maybe I’m missing something.

Oh thanks @Jinra ! I thought that was an ERPM setting for top speed in FOC mode! How did you figure that out? Is there a VESC feature listing that I’m not finding? Side note: that value must be set pretty low I imagine, like 200 or so?

It should. All VESCs use standard parts and it fits pretty well as you saw in my build log. There will be 1 pin which wont work since I gave you a 5 pin header. Just take out the red power wire and plug it directly into the 5v pin on the VESC. Use the the 5pin header for the next 5 pins and make sure they’re ordered correctly.

See pic: http://esk8content.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/uploads/db2454/original/2X/6/61f1ed89f798b352ad6f17341c0040527e37c30b.jpg

@treenutter It’s a setting just for when to kick in sensorless operation similar to how it’s labeled in the BLDC tab. The UI could be a bit more clear on this. Make sure you choose the hall sensor mode as well. I haven’t played with FOC myself, but this is my understanding on how it works. Default sensorless eRPM is 2000, but I have mine at 6000. I set mine so it cuts off at about 3mph.

3 Likes

Well I Connected the sensors to the Vesc yesterday and they now work. I set it up in hybrid mode, but I’m not sure which is the erpm setting for sensored to sensorless transition.

Anyway, the board now feels even smoother. While before in sensorless there was a bit of cogging at launch, especially at standstill, now there is virtually zero cogging. To me sensors are a must now and I cannot go back. The smooth throttle response combined with almost no cogging make the board feel like a finished product.

Thanks Jinra!

1 Like

I don’t think most people know that Boosted boards use a sensored setup. Although it’s not the traditional 3 hall-sensors mounted inside or outside of the motor can. Rather it’s a 8.5-bit magnetic rotary encoder (model number AS5134) manufactured by AMS and it is mounted at the end of the motor axle, which is why the boards have the motor/belt covers (IC is embedded in epoxy).

So, why use a rotary encoder IC, which has to be mounted at the end of the motor axle rather than the standard 120 degree hall sensor mounting on the stator? Resolution/precision. Manufacturer’s product demo video for the AS5134 embedded below (pretty cool stuff IMHO).

Looking inside a Boosted Board | Endless Sphere DIY EV Forum (boosted board disassembly thread) http://ams.com/eng/Products/Magnetic-Position-Sensors/Angle-Position-On-Axis/AS5134 (AMS AS5134 product page)

I think the hassle of using a sensored setup is worth it, because I believe it gives a better user experience to the customer as long as it’s built properly and with proper failsafes. The normal DIYer probably doesn’t want anything more complicated than the VESC in sensorless, because it works well enough.

1 Like

Agreed, if there rspec had a sensored motor i would consider those motors. The only 63mm motor on my wish list right now is @torqueboards

Have you looked at AlienPowerSystems? They have a very good offering in the 63 mm dia motor department both with sensors and without, although I can understand them being based in UK and you’re in the states that you don’t prefer them therefore. I plan on updating my current powertrain to their systems in the next iteration and see how they perform.

I’m trying to start my own esk8 company in Finland. I have spec’d 3 bachelor degree thesis works for my university’s final year class for battery BMS, remote controller and smartphone app and I hope I can get a team out of them. I personally handle the motor controller, powertrain and board platform design myself. Not sure if we ever make it to the commercial markets, but I hope we at least make it to the DIY markets.

2 Likes

I’ve heard iffy reviews of their motors, but either way I’d rather purchase local as it’s much cheaper and faster. Plus DIYelectricskateboard is right next to me. I may participate in @JLabs next 63mm sensored group buy if he sets it up within the next month.

What kind of iffy stuff? A google search with “alien power system motor problem” didn’t really produce any significant results except that their ESCs might have problems, but not much on the motor side. I am interested in finding out any bigger scale problems they might have. I also couldn’t really find any other supplier’s in the euro area except them.