Why can't I just use this as a switch?

Hi I’m still searching for an switch option and I found this. It can handle enought Amps and Current and its also quite cheap. Do you think I can use it?

Alex

should work - only problem is that the spark due to inrush current will wear the contacts over time. After a couple hundred switches the relay might not work anymore.

1 Like

its a solid state relay!

1 Like

Could work. Few downsides, you need a separate 4-32v supply to turn it on/off, where will you get that? Its a bit bulky. It may need a heat sink depending on how much amps your going to draw.

1 Like

sorry you are right - just read relay and was thinking of mechanical ones.

1 Like

This might be a bipolar-based design which will burn off 3% of your power as heat. That’s a lot of cooling and wasted battery life. And if it’s FET-based then the inrush current will probably destroy it after a short number of cycles.

2 Likes

Well I think I’ll go with an mechanical switch instead, thanks to all :+1:

Or you could go with a FET sparkswitch. Search the forum. All mechanical switches wear out eventually. Not saying sparkswitch can’t break, but it’s better.

You cannot use this switch. The purpose of a anti spark switch is not only to negate the spark, causing the contacts to wear. But also to prevent damaging you electronics. The capacitive load will draw a short but high amp current from the batteries, for a short time it’ll appear as if your speed controller is a short circuit untill the capacitors are charged. This high current will (perhaps eventually) break your components.

That’s also why there is a resistor in the spark plugs, first the capacitors are charged through a resistor, lowering the current.

@whitepony does not use an AS but connects his wires directly everytime. He did not report problems this way AFAIK. He had loop keys melt and AS fail though.

How are his capacitors? They aren’t made for the big inrush of current I think.

Well he is one of the most active riders on here who commutes to work every day. When he advocates not using AS keys but rather replacing bullet connectors from time to time( they degrade due to the spark) I take his word for it.

1 Like

hehe, Im still all sparks :smile: never had a vesc fail on me after the first day, had a few dead early birds, but mostly due to the foc bug back then i think

2 Likes