Why does my slave VESC keep blowing?

Oh definitely. I would argue that if not watched for, the Max Current Ramp Step can blow the DRV, even with a quality piece (I soldered my VESC myself with parts straight from Mouser, so I think that’s pretty good quality…where do you source your parts from?). I didn’t know I had it, and ended up with a value of 40 or 50. After running with it like that (going up some pretty solid hills) I got a DRV error. It is possible that there was another cause, but I couldn’t find one.

I tried my best to blow a chip with bad current ramp step and could not do it. Even so, I think vendors need to handle replacement is someone did actually blow a chip due to the bug. Not the customers fault.

There are a lot of variables to manufacturing the VESC and all of them contribute to the overall quality. This huge difference in quality from manufacture to manufacture is probably why Vedder is hesitant to release v6 to the public before he can set a precedence in reliability and quality of the design.

I really do not like to step in and clear the air but the VESC does not deserve the reputation of being touchy or failure prone.

1 Like

I’m sure it was my fault at some point (since I was my own vendor…) I’m happy to stand corrected :slight_smile:

Haha yeah, I was not referring to you.

Is there a thread that explains the whole slave/master vesc thing?