Why I will never again use 3D printed pulleys

Haha. I was just kidding :grin: :joy:

It is already a 16t, and I haven’t had much success with getting a grub screw to stay in. I will very soon, I just want to ride now :joy: Where are you getting that pulley? I need a htd5m 15mm wide 14-16t 6mm bore, and I have had lots of problems finding that with fast shipping

6mm bore? who the hell uses motors with 6mm shafts anymore?

1 Like

Someone who got dual sk3 5055 :joy: I didn’t realize they were 6mm bore, otherwise I would have found something else. Dual, less torque-y motors is why I think 3d printed motor pulleys won’t be a problem

1 Like

are you in the US?

Yes. I can find them, the problem is inexpensive, fast shipping

i might be able to dig up 2 tomorrow. i’ll let you know, if I can find them, you just owe me $2.50 shipping :slight_smile:

4 Likes

How dju get aluminium one for 2 dollars link or didn’t happen :joy:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/HTD5M-15-Aluminum-Timing-Belt-Pulley-15-Teeth-8mm-Bore-16mm-Width-Stepper-Motor/302418153225?epid=1339404249&hash=item466986cf09:g:z-UAAOSwl~tZlPDt

2 Likes

Wait really? That is awesome, thank you so much!

I have only skim read the post so I might be repeating myself here.

That melt pattern is definitely that of PLA. the average belt temperature of an Esk8 is 42C which is enough to slightly soffern the material, which will lead to deformation and more heat- so on and so on.

ABS is decent but can shrink a bit which will cause a slight melt pattern on the tread which will rehardern after melting. PETG and NY are the best and I have been using dual PETG 40T gears for about 300Km with no problems.

If you do want bulletproof, get them printed in an impact resistant resin.

Did you manage to find them?

Successfulling using 3d printed motor pulleys as of today. Printed in Taulmann Bridge Nylon with 7 perimeters, 50% infill, .2mm layer height. Went pretty fast, stopped hard, very little slippage. Highly recommend using nylon, it is made for this sort of purpose

i was only able to find one.

He’s using printed MOTOR pulleys, less teeth more strain

I’m considering using PETG for the motor pulley, 18~20 teeth. I’m not sure if that’ll survive but i’ll be testing with plenty of armor. Hoping the high tooth count will help.

I have a 60~72 tooth wheel pulley printed in ABS and it works fine.

It’s all good, the nylon is actually working really well! Thanks anyways, this community is awesome!

1 Like