Why is there no slide puck shaped thumb remote?

I am not talking about Hoyt St. I would like an actual puck shaped remote, in a 3d printed case I could velcro to my slide glove and easily replace if it gets worn down. How come nobody has come up with it yet? I started designing one to house the electronics of my Maytech remote but I am by no means an expert in 3d design and gave up on it since it took too much time. Surely though someone else could come up with something we could use.

9 Likes

Anyone up to the task?

The problem I foresee is trusting the integrity and reliability of the internal parts from taking that kind of abuse and impact on a regular basis… I’m not saying it can’t be done but we have to use way better Parts than what we’re currently using for the guts of the remote

3 Likes

Remote manufacturers should think about what happens when you fall

1 Like

One way I can see to make any set of remote electronics more durable would be to pot all the non-moving parts in epoxy, leaving just the potentiometer/trigger, charging port and on/off switch exposed. If there’s suitable interest, I can try my hand at designing/printing one. I’m no expert either, but I have some experience, and a printer with PLA, PETG, and nylon filament at the moment.

I don’t have a maytech remote handy to gut, but if you can send me some photos of the innards with scale, and some desired dimensions of the final puck, I can try to design around them.

3 Likes

I’ve thought about adding Velcro to the button side of Hoyt and placing button side towards palm on the slide gloves and slapping a slide puck velcro’d onto the backside of the Hoyt. Just worried about the repeated concrete slaps…

1 Like

The Hoyt remote would still get damaged - the wood is so soft…

I still think the solution is having a minimal amount of remote parts in the palm of your hand. Wear the majority of the internals on the back of your hand or your wrist like a watch. Then something attaches to the Palm or finger to allow throttle control and use an oversized normal slide puck as a slide puck

4 Likes

I thought about this, but aside from durability of the casing I found that the location of the puck (assuming the usual circle around your palm) in relation to the thumb makes for a very uncomfortable thumbwheel.

Not to mention the possibility of triggering the wheel while the puck is sliding on the ground…

1 Like

Every Hoyt Puck is scratched across its face. When you fall, it becomes a slider. This thread may be on the right track.

1 Like

It does not have to be able to withstand the abuse of a normal slide puck. Just be rugged enough to take the occasional fall or to use if you need to make a shut down (Coleman slide). Here is the inside of the Maytech 20181024_130727

20181024_130713

The potentiometer and power button would have to be de-soldered in order to be placed around the perimeter of the puck.

I did that vary thing. Probably been done before but here’s my set up. It’s been working fine so far with minimal scratching on remote casing.

2 Likes

You say no Hoyt puck but this whole post seems super silly… just Velcro a replaceable pad to the puck.

1 Like