Wiiceiver Controller

I dont think you even need it. I can connect my nunchuck to my board from 6 meters away. And im never that far from it.

Ok, update. Iā€™ve built my own Wiiceiver. I bought some really cheap Wireless nunchucks from eBay. When I say cheap, I mean cheap - 2 sets for less than Ā£7, unfortunately they are pink! I also bought some really small Arduino Pro mini boards. So small in fact they could fit inside a nunchuck receiverā€¦which got me thinking. :slight_smile: I had problems getting the nunchucks to connect due to them insisting on using 400khz serial bus connection which is quite tricky to do using the standard (almost amateur) Arduino libraries but I found a way. I also had to modify the main code as the nunchucks would never connect reliably or quickly. But I think Iā€™ve cracked it. Check out the pics.

1 Like

nice - can you show the code as well? No modification to the handset necessary? If this is in fact that easy I will do the same thing - getting a nyko kama in Europe is not easy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks awesome! More details!!

yeah more deets! does it have perpetual steez?

I havenā€™t tested it yet. I need to make sure itā€™s ok before I release code. Itā€™s based on the original Austin David code with a few dodgy mods. 100khz comms changed to 400khz by adding one extra line. I shortened the wait time to 100ms when scanning for the nunchuck and now it continuously scans until it finds it. I found the code would hang on waiting for zero after connecting, so I just remove that bit of code :slight_smile: I guess I need no inform Austin of any changes or upload it to the github? Andrew

2 Likes

Cool. Give more info when you canā€¦ I would also be very interested in this sort of thingā€¦

Ok, so Iā€™ve tested it and it seems to work great. :slight_smile: I bought another cheap Wii Wireless Nunchuck from ebay that isnā€™t pink and that also works without any more mods to the software. I guess I should upload it back to the software repository so others can view it and download it, but in the meantime can I just add it as a zip to this thread? Andrew

3 Likes

that is excellent news! I donā€™t know that this forum can accept zip files. but i do encourage you to share the link when you do have it uploaded somewhere.

Iā€™ve sent the code to Austin to look at however I have found a wireless nunchuck in eBay that works without any software mods. See my next post :slight_smile:

Hi all, This Wireless nunchuck works with the wiiceiver code without any mods. Itā€™s cheap and very stylish compared to the pink ones I got.

Andrew

1 Like

Hey everyone. My current build is a 149kv turnigy motor / 6S LIPO / HOBBYWING MAX8 150A / Arduino UNO / Nyko Kama Wiiciever. I am 183 pounds. The wiiciever signal seems to drop and reset the esc occasionally as Iā€™m cruising around. I believe it happens at a higher frequency when I am going full speed. I have turned off low voltage cutoff on the ESC. Iā€™m not sure if this is a wiiciever related issue or just that my board is pulling too much amperage at full throttle under load. This only occurs under load. Any help would be much appreciated.

Do you have a ferrite ring installed? Have you tried moving the location of the wiiceiver? Too close to power or phase wires can cause interference, higher speed=higher amp draw. Also make sure all connections are soldered, higher speed=more vibrations. It is hard to see when riding but if the wii remote disconnects the red light on the nunchuck flashes for a few seconds, might be able to help you figure out if itā€™s the esc or the remote.

I do not have a ferrite ring installed. Where should I install it?

I also have not moved the location of the wiiceiver. Iā€™ll try this and update the post.

The wiimote does start blinking, but Iā€™m still not sure if it is blinking because the system has lost power or because the signal was lost. I guess if the system lost power and restarted itself then the wiimote would shut off completely?

@andrewhannay

The controller you mention in the post just above, will connect to the vesc as the Nyco nunchuck?

Thanks

You will need the Wiiceiver board.

@andrewhannay. Thanks for the reply. I have a VESC and e what I understand is tat it has that feature built in? So I might not need Wiiceiver.

Oh, I see. I didnā€™t realise the VESC had it built in. In that case it that Wii-mote above was more compatible than the pink thing I had. It wasnā€™t too expensive so worth buying and trying out.