Wiiceiver Controller

Does anyone know if you can still get hold of these kits. The last post on austindavid.com seems to be August 2015. Is there an alternative controller with the same sort of features as the Wiiceiver. I have a lttle Arduino board and wireless Nunchuck that I am about the experiment with, but was just making sure that the controller thing hasn’t moved on to something else. Andrew

1 Like

You can buy it assembled from @torqueboards . They have a lot of drop out issues though. I would go with 2.4ghz.

Drop outs? That’s not good, I presume something to do with cheap wiimotes? When you say go 2.4ghz are you talking about standard rc car controllers? I find them rather bulky and would rather something hand held (Palm size) Andrew

all wiimotes have a lot of drop-outs so its not really that cheap ones are being used.

and for 2.4 Ghz you could get TB’s mini 2.4 product/torqueboards-2-4ghz-mini-remote-controller/

Austin David and torqueboards no longer sell them, I have had no issues witht the drop outs. My controller works just fine except yesterday when I had to replace the atmega, there are no other controllers with throttle smoothing and cruise control which is why I use it

dropouts occur due to signal loss so if you intend to be going under a lot of bridges, very fast, or in an area where there isnt a good cell phone signal then dont buy bluetooth.

Your joking right?!?

Huh now im a bit confused

Blutooth has nothing to do with cell towers

1 Like

no u misunderstood i wasnt talking about cell towers im taking about areas with lots of mountains and basically anywhere else u can lose a signal.

elevation actually is an issue because I live quite high up and had issues with bluetooth

Again that has nothing to do with bluetooth Do your blutooth headphones cut out in the mountains? No.

It’s been determined that the dropouts are do to not soldering to directly or the board or from interference from the reciever being too close to the motor wires. There are quite a few people that have never had dropouts, including me, if it set up correctly

I have built 7 or 8 boards all using nyko kama nunchucks and when soldered on properly never had droppouts. Its generally caused by poor connection of the receiver dongle.

uguys are lucky bastards then because up here none of my bluetooth devices work while im on the move

Bummer, that’s news to me That’s not the way blutooth works but obviously something is going on. Other wireless devices that operate in the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz bandwidth (microwave transmitters, wireless cameras, baby monitors, a neighbor’s Wi-Fi device) can cause interference with bluetooth connections.

That all went off at a bit of a tangent. Yes, Bluetooth is point to point so no worry of interference from bridges or mountains, I think willpark16 is confusing loss of signal on his phone when using bluetooth headset or a car handsfree. Ok, so dropouts could be caused by interference from motor and/or bad connection to Wiimote receiver. I notice that in the circuits I have found no one uses pull up resistors which should normally be fitted when using I2S-like serial comms. More and more people develop embedded software projects on the hobbie-type prebuilt ATmega or Arduino platforms and just pull in pre-written libraries without considering how the hardware should be set up in a real world. I will persevere with a Wiimote setup and, if I have time at work :-), will look at the signals on an oscilloscope.

2 Likes

Sweet!

Also on lowGuidos advise I installed a ferite ring between the reciever and VESC

actually no im not. Bluetooth and Wi-Fi have shared the same 2.4GHz frequency spectrum for a long time, which can cause the radio signals to interfere with each other. This is especially noticeable when you are on a phone call using your Bluetooth headset in your office or in your house, and you hear static. Quite often, the solution may be to turn off Wi-Fi on your phone while you are talking using Bluetooth. However, if you cannot turn off Wi-Fi, then move closer to the Wi-Fi access point. This may make the Wi-Fi connection more robust, which will make it easier for the phone to time-share the radio spectrum between Bluetooth and Wi-Fi traffic.

Ok, I see what your saying now. so interference can come from Wifi which occupies quite large bands of the 2.4GHz spectrum causing the BT to hop or search for another side band possibly causing complete loss of signal. Maybe you have lots of interfering Wifi signals near by. Or maybe other RC handsets? Thanks for clearing that up anyway.

1 Like

I have noticed that some skateboard controllers especially the early ones have a copper or some sort of conductive band on the outside of the controller. I suspect this is the transmitter output carried to the outside of the handset onto your hand that then uses your body as an antenna, carrying the signal all the way to your foot which is really close to the receiver. This allows the handset to transmit at a very low power saving battery life and at the same time including a security feature that stops the board from being operated if you are not standing on directly on it. I wonder if I can do that with the Wiimote controller to prevent signal loss.