Worm gear drive?

Hi to everyone, as mentioned in the title, I was wondering how suitable would be worm gears in e-skate industry (more particulary mountainboards).

The "gear box " would take less space and be lighter than actual direct drives on the market. It might also be more quiet and durable.

It actually seems that they are less efficient than spur or helical gear, and bigger the ratio worth the efficiency. But with the ratios we use in e-skate (between 3 and 10) the lack of efficiency looks less important than with higher ratios.

What do you think? Could it be interesting or did I miss some important points?

3 Likes

when you let off the throttle you will get thrown off?

what kinda speeds are we talkin here? over 10mph?

1 Like

Due to the self locking ability of worm drives? Is it this strong so it brakes hard if you let off throttle?

Around 20-25 Mph, more for offroad mountainboard rides when you need more torque than speed.

2 Likes

yeah it is just a much better idea to use a high ratio gear drive from boardnamics or a chain drive.

Backdriving is just needed to ride safely I think. At any moment you loose power with your worm drive it will suddenly stop and you will be thrown forward.

2 Likes

I’m with you guys, a worm drive just wouldnt work for regenerative braking and in case of a sudden power loss it would throw you off.

But I do wonder if electric skateboard motors are running at the higher speeds where they are most efficient.

What about a 2 stage drive? Either gear or belt driven for the primary and maybe chain drive for the secondary if you’re into that sort of thing.

Or maybe a backdriveable planetary gearset?

2 Likes

I have a good idea for that, design a gearbox with an output the same as a 63xx motor

bolt gearbox to another esk8 gearbox

boom dual reduction

2 Likes

I’ve wanted to try worm gears. Have some from a couple of saws that look pretty promising.

1 Like

The “worm” of the worm gear refers to a screw shape cut into a shaft that the mating gear, or worm wheel, is attached to. Due to sliding contact of the gear surfaces a hard material is generally used for the worm, so as to reduce friction. Though the sliding contact means that worm gears aren’t incredibly efficient, their rotation is very smooth and quiet. As such, they are often used for industrial applications, heavy equipment, and sometimes consumer goods.

Worm gears provide very high reduction ratios and are often self-locking, as they cannot function in the reverse direction. This inherent feature makes them a safe option to use in certain types of machinery. A common example of a self-locking worm gear is the machine tuning head found on many string instruments, including the guitar.

3 Likes

Lol. Wikipedia is alive

1 Like

Copy pasta from my OG write up

Catch it before the link is scrubbed

1 Like

I’m pretty familiar with gears. Made many locker differentials, timing gears, center pivot irrigation wells, flood wells, holding pond gates. All gears. That’s not including all the farm equipment I’ve had to deal with. I made a mid drive bike motor with some gears off an old old reel style lawn mower. It was slow as fuck but would climb a wall. Lol.

2 Likes

Pics or it didnt happen.

2 Likes

Oh I know. Believe it or not only in the last 10 months have I taken pictures of my work. I take a couple of my bowls and doors I make. But skate/moto/anything like that I never kept a log of it. Most of the early stage stuff was drunken fun throw it together and see what happens then demolish it to keep anyone from seeing it. Lol

1 Like