I have not been very active here lately but I have been building some Cheap FOCers 2 (CFOC2) with my own spin on them. More about this below.
Since I have not been very active the last year or so, a lot has changed including people so for those who dont know me, here is a little bit about my background. I have been building e-skates, bikes and other electronics vehicles for myself and others in Slovakia for about 5 years now, offering repairs of VESCs and other stuff as well as designing and manufacturing electronics not only for myself. I will get back to this hopefully shortly.
I am trying to put my “hobby life” back on track and here we get to why I built these CFOC2s. I am working on a 4WD build so I needed some controllers, since there are price breaks at 25 pieces I built them, kept for and here is 21 for anyone worldwide who wants some.
They are based on VESC6 and are compatible with VESC tool for configuration. More about these here: Cheap FOCer 2 by Shaman
My changes to the original design:
- In therms of the main PCB design, that remains unchanged because it works well.
- For the components however, I have not used any parts from LCSC (except JST connectors). Why do I say this? I have not had luck with them myself and did not want to risk getting lower quality parts (just my honest opinion from bad experience, maybe just bad luck not to offend anyone). To improve, I have sourced all parts or alternatives with equal or better specs from reputable sellers like Mouser Digi-Key and Farnell. To be clear, this does not improve performance however it does improve reliability.
- I have also designed a front panel for this to add labels to the connectors as well as some design features to make it look pretty. This as well as conformal coating helps to protect the PCB.
- Another improvement of my revision is DRV heatsink which again, improves reliability/stability.
- Heatsink on the MOSFETS is a must,
- 2*2.5 mm² (10awg) busbars populated on both sides
- All units have firmware, IMU and are tested, ready to be shipped configured and used!
- All units come with warranty of course.
I damaged some parts so there are 2 incomplete units, one without the MOSFET heatsink, and one that is without all heatsinks and front panel. These of course have reduced price at 60€.
The price for one unit is 70€ plus shipping (5€ Europe 8€ worldwide). PM me if you are interested or ask a question below.
Thank you for your attention, Martin.