001 | Jet Invasion Voyager-X | Evolve trucks | Dual 6355s 190kv | Custom 10S4p 30Q | Focbox

Sorry posted in the wrong thread…now carry on

What did you change them to? I am about to install this motor with a focbox and would appreciate that help. The motor sensor comes with 5 wires and the focbox plug have room for 6.

3 Likes

I got 6 pins plug from eBay and cut the original one and extended the wires, see above: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/first-build-db-freeride-dt-38-evolve-trucks-dual-racerstar-5065-140kw-custom-10s4p-30q-focbox/37352/24?u=egzplicit

The extra one is for motor temp, the racerstars don’t have a temp sensor so just skip it.

1 Like

Thanks. I missed those pictures!

Nice build :slight_smile:

What is your maximum range on the 10S4P battery pack?

1 Like

Depends on wheels used. I recently switched to 6355s and haven’t done a full ride to 0% but with the old 5065s I did a 20 miles on ATs with 5% left and on paper should be close to 28-29 miles with 97s wheels.

I see about 23-25 Wh per mile with ATs (15/66t pulleys) and 16ish Wh per mile with 97s (15/32t). The bigger 107s are somewhere in between, at 17-19Wh/mile with 15/36t or 15/38t.

Once the weather improves in the UK, I’ll test the current 107s (15/38t) with the 6355s and see how much I get.

Thank you for the answer, that’s enough for me …

I have the same packet of batteries in my board but built with LG HG2 and my range is much smaller, 19km on AT wheels, less than 12 miles :frowning:

Umm, that can’t be right. Hg2 are also 3A each and if u get 12 miles that’s 35-36Wh/mile. Something must not be right, even when I did acceleration tests after switching the motors (with lost of start - stop at full throttle) I didn’t use more than 28Wh/mile…

Maybe degraded cells or a bad one in one in the pack? If you have a BT module you could check real consumption and see if it’s actually using that much or if the pack is damaged…

What configuration for pulleys? And what motors?

1 Like

My batteries are new, I bought them at www.fasttech.com so they are rather original. The condition of all cells is also good, I controls them through BMS with the BT module. I do not want to clutter up your topic so I do not include screenshots

The problem is rather the current consumption by the motors

My motors are SK3 6364 190kV (without sensors) ESC - VESC 4.10 The gear ratio is 15/72

I do not have any experience with VESC yet, so maybe this is a configuration problem.

I am waiting for a special BT module for METR application, but maybe it will install a standard BT module beforehand to check the power consumption with another application

Yeah, your consumption seems rather high and I don’t think it should be like that. Riding style and terrain matters but on a flat surface I don’t think it should be higher than 28Wh/mile. I don’t have experience with eMTBs but on my 15/66t with 7” pneumatics on 6355s with 78kg rider and 10.5kg for the board I’ve never seen anything higher than 27-29Wh (during testing with lots of hard acceleration) and 25-26Wh during normal riding.

I would put the Metr module and app and record a session to get more details like real time amps and such. The 72t pulley might also cause this (depending on size of the wheels as well) but not sure…maybe losses in the cables, things getting hot, etc?

Thank you very much for your answer,

Maybe VESC does not like SK3 6364 motors? Without load, the motors take 5-6A (together)

or maybe my batteries have a fictional capacity :confused:

Today I will have a BT module from METR, so I will be able to take measurements :slight_smile:

I builds another board using: Samsung Q30 Racerstar motors 140kV Focbox And gearbox so I count on better range :smiley:

but that’s another topic …

6 Likes

Thats a topic i cant wait to find out more about :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll check on mine so we can compare. Currently have 15/38t with 107s but when I’ll switch to ATs will check amps at full throttle with no load.

Yeah the BT module is really useful in debugging stuff, you will be able to check how many Wh and As are actually used by the motors and see if you have losses along cables and connectors or if battery is not performing as it should. As a bonus you can create a TCP/IP proxy and connect the PC vesc tool via a phone connected to the same network and via BT to the module. Really useful if you wanna make changes without physically using a USB cable (and taking enclosure off).

Oh that build looks very interesting, curious as well, can’t wait for the thread and some impressions. And noise levels :slight_smile:

Evolve has been interesting on it’s youtube channel regarding weekly tips and such, recently they covered how riding in “fast” mode used way less amps that the “GT” mode, and that’s how they do their longer distance runs (along with push starting).

Can both of you post your VESC setting please? I’ll want to compare with mine for range in the future (15/66 - 150mm pneumatics, 2x 5065 motors)

I may have an erection right now. Just want you to know that, thoose that gearsystem looks juicy. That your own creation?

I’m currently running 60A motor max / 30A battery max (on each Focbox). 15/38t with 107s and 15/66t with 175mm Evolve pneumatics).

he makes them

1 Like

@Guacamoleface @Meche Thanks :slight_smile: This is my project, but it’s a non-tested prototype

1 Like

@egzplicit hi morning I bought this motor in and this vesc but it only come with 5 wires,I see in your pic you did so adopting.what is the colour sequence,is that a 5 wire setup and did you leave the T out.please I need you help.I ordered a jst 6 connector to do the adoption.

1 Like

The sequence doesn’t matter as long as the GND and positive wires are in the right place. Just make sure those two are correct and skip the temperature pin as you said and you should be good. A vesc will detect the hall sensors and figure out the order on it’s own, as long as the +/GND are correctly plugged.

Edited: if you wanna follow my exact sequence, have a look at this picture:

http://esk8content.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/uploads/db2454/original/3X/a/8/a8b516a5b51f99aa90688a996670c02889d26b35.jpeg

1 Like