18650 cell that has more capacity than the 30q?

Hey everyone

I wanna build a battery pack and am searching for the best 18650. I know 30q are well known for how good they hold up but the problem is that they “only” have 3000mah. Isn’t there another 18650 type of cell that has more than 3000mah and 15a or 20a? The 35e is great but it has only 10a which if I build it into a 12s4p will not supply the full 50a that the vesc needs to give me full power

Thanksssss

That’s the be bang for the buck. But if you go bigger than 18650,c there are other options

1 Like

30Q’s are well known for not only for how they hold up, but a great balance between cost, capacity, discharge, and size. If you want more mah the Samsung 40T is slight bigger (21700) but with a whole amp hour more capacity and a whopping 30 amp discharge

2 Likes

Some verision of VTC6 has 3100mah. However, the amp draw isn’t limited to what it says on the cell. Rather what temperature it reaches during the discharge. If you have sufficient airflow, theres normally not a problem to draw more then 10A on a 35e cell. Deciding factor is by far the climate at where you live. Keep the cells at a healthy temp and you can draw more current, simple as that.

3 Likes

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/blog-entry/18650-battery-ratings-table.7447/

2 Likes

Have you had a look at the LG HG2? https://eu.nkon.nl/lg-18650-hg2-without-warning.html

1 Like

The 30q performs better then the hg2 I believe.

4 Likes

image image 30Q is a very good cell.

6 Likes

image The SANYO 20700B is a very good cell with a slight increase in size. If you are concerned about capacity, I think it is better to consider a battery of 12s4p or more. Under the condition of 18650, 12s4p, 50A, it is best to have 30Q.

2 Likes

they were the option before 30q - but they’re pricier, and has more sag. and hg2 is one of the most counterfeited cells out there.

4 Likes

Higher capacity usually means lower discharge rate because they are two competing parameters. Taken from Battery University:

Energy and power characteristics are defined by particle size on the electrodes. Larger particles increase the surface area for maximum capacity and fine material decreases it for high power.

2 Likes

Which sort of explains why Samsung still hasn’t released a successor to the 30Q :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I wanted to go for the 21700 but unfortunately most of the cases I found aren’t enough for a 21700 12s4p configuration, almost all of them will fit only 12s3p from the 21700 and it’s not worth it to pay more for the 21700 but get the same mah that I’ll get from the 18650

I know they are really great but as I said it won’t be wirth it cuz I wanted to go for the 21700 12s4p (which won’t fit any low profile enclosure) so it’s not worth it to pay more for the 21700 12s3p but get the same mah that I’ll get from the 18650

Then get the 30Q’s, you honestly won’t find much better than that. Anything higher capactiy is lower discharge (i.e 35e).

1 Like

Yea you are right but always being in the safe side of things is better, like I live in Germany which is always cold but still I don’t wanna stress the batteries too much to the point where I look to my back and find flames you know?

They are just like the 30q only 3000mah, yea more amps but same mah

1 Like

So I guess the 30q is the sweet spot right?

Yea I guess that’s the only way, thanks :heartpulse:

Haha, pushing them abit passed what theyre intended for wont cause flames :wink: If you run a belted setup with good gear ratio, you have alot of margin in regards to current. In such an application, keeping a constant high drain for a longer period is seldom seen. Only way is to climb a really steep hill. Unless you have these hills. Sure, youll draw alot of current on startup maybe 50A and higher. But that top peak only lasts for so long. Keeping a constant speed doesnt consume an awful lot, something most people seem to forget. Sure margins are good. But if you draw 80A for 3 seconds on a pack that only should do 40-50 amps cont., nothing bad will happen(again, temp plays part here). You might cause more ware on your cells, but thats it.

1 Like