1st Eskate build , Drop through, 6364 Outboard

Wow. Scary. We’re gunna need a dead people thread soon. Some by board some by zaps. The dead by board section could have a sub section with bad receivers and bad can bus connection wires. It’s a dangerous hobby/sport for sure.

2 Likes

Hey whitepony !,… the Cells are Identical, , …I was told they come out of the Tesla “Bare”, …Okashira is the one who Shrink wraps them,… was out of blue shrink wrap ! . All measured identical within 1/100 … With Insulating rings installed !

I agree,Hot-gluing packs make them ridgit

I also did not put a BMS, will check them periodically.

1 Like

ah, ok, thought you might have used different cells there! cool, youre a step ahead of me with the rings and hot glue! :smile:

…Your “Pathing” the way for many builders whitepony !!

I will Try to explain my Bending Pack : If you look closely at the top side of pack

you will see a Black Wire,( did’nt take a Pic, sorry) this is my 10G Flexible Series Link. The Wide Hot Glue Joint (middle point of wire), acts as Kind of a.Pivot point. The 2 batteries of Left of joint (top&bottom) were lubed up before I applied Hot glue,so did’nt stick,but formed around battery and only sticking to to right side batteries. This created a sorta Cupped joint and no friction between batteries at joint if Pack bends .

Joint fall just about in middle of the board.

2 Likes

Hey Randyc1, awesome build. Love the pack. One question, where did you get that copper wire from (the stuff on top of your nickel strip)? I have seen some on ebay. Just wondering where you got yours.

Love the bending idea! For my custom packs I’m making, i am separating them in to separate packs which then all connect together through an XT60 wire harness.

I actually found some scrap pieces of Solid 10G Electrical wire at work and just skinned it .

Nice.

I’m gonna have to do something similar for my pack so my thin nickel strips don’t burn up.

Pack actually looked pretty good ,… before i started to solder Lol

4 Likes

What is the thing attached to the negative terminal on the big battery?

Could you explain your spot welding setup? I t looks really interesting and i might do something similar.

6mm bullet connector wraped in shrink.

1 Like

No i meant the big 12v battery used for doing the spot welding.

Oh sorry , that is the device that allows you to spot weld with a car battery. Riba at "endlessphere forum "was selling them.

Awesome, how much did it cost?

He doesn’t sell them anymore as far as I know. I am building an Arduino spot welder which I may sell kits and completes for. Riba may be open sourcing his project soon which will be good.

awhh, the flex idea is awesome! :grinning: its insane how hard we have to try to get all these details and secrets from you :joy:

now its you who inspires me for my next battery. the flex points are generally a good idea, there is no need for any “outer” serial connection by nickel strips tbh, can just always connect all parallel packs with 10AWG wires for example. the only thing I was afraid in the past was excessive rubbing of cells among each other which might destroy the insulation … but your hot glue protection will probably work great! :ok_hand:

Really nice build the bending detail it’s nice I did something similar using flat braided wire in the 3 to 4 cell connection. Can get the wire here if anybody want to try it in a future build.

After seeing this picture of an Evolve Board , I have allways wondered how Evolve built there batteries for flex ??

2 Likes

Thanks,I hope it works out great also ? The only thing that worried me was the "heat " from soldering?,…spent more time on some than i would have liked, i need a stronger solder iron.

When i build next pack, since my nickel is 12mm Wide i might Try soldering wire along edge of strip BEFORE I spot weld ,eliminating any heat at all??

4 Likes