3D Printed Hub for 6inch pneumatics on caliber trucks

Nice! yeah I have been riding 15mm for 4 years and have no desire to use anything else. nice! let me know how it turns out. I could make a variation, and I should probably just set up the model to me more parametric, that way you only need to make changes to a few parameters to change number of teeth and belt width. Sorry to kill your scapegoat but Fusion 360 can definitely do pulleys no problem :), that’s what I modeled these in. What size of pulley are you looking for?

One note on printing pulleys, the teeth won’t always mesh using the nominal dimensions. It depends on the slicer, printer, and material. When I have printed pulleys in the past in abs on an airwolf or flashforge dreamer using cura slicer I had to tweak the tooth spacing a little (I don’t really know what the main contributor is, but I suspect it is the material). Now I am printing on a prusa i3 mk2 in PETG using slic3r and the nominal dimensions work great.

Also, the f360 file is on the grabcad page so anybody can tweak the design if they want.

Just me that can’t do pulleys in fusion360 then…yet. I’m not sure what size pulley I want to end up with, my only tested setup was running 15/60 on 10s, this gave me great torque and I found myself initially limiting the amps a little to get smoother acceleration, that can be better solved by Ackmaniac’s app though I reckon. My main issue was running the sidewinder 2 trucks, they’re all about carving, but they’re also great for pushing out the wheels and avoiding bite on the deck. In the future I’ll dremel the deck and use either Ronins or TorqueBoards 218mm trucks, not sure yet.

72 teeth should give me about 22mph max on 10s, which is actually about right really, but I think 15/66 might be the sweet spot (or maybe 16/68?) once i get better at riding.

I’ve sent those files to be printed, might take a couple of weeks…however he has a 3d printer worth thousands and hires a CAD guy, it should print to the exact dimensions, we’ll see.

there are some auto pulley generators out there, once you have the main pulley teeth done adding the holes should be pretty easy

Link some please :slight_smile:

don’t have any links to hand, but google should throw up a few results with the right search query.

This ones pretty popular: -

1 Like

That’s the one I used - worked great

@ptowncruiser I’ve printed the parts, but i was wondering if they’re supposed to essentially fit together. The hub doesn’t fit into the retainer or pulley.

I suspect it’s a butt join, so no slotting together.

@ptowncruiser Found the issue, looks like the plastic curled in a bit due to the chamfer on the end of the shim, I had to take some material away (trying to bash them together with force works fine :slight_smile: ). If anyone else prints these, i’d suggest leaving the ends slightly thicker.

1 Like

@riva_00 sorry for the interference, glad you got it worked out. Yeah, it should be a nice slip fit. Your instincts were good, if they don’t fit first step is to debur the connection, then you can try sanding a bit if that doesn’t work. Those rings can also just be broken/cut off if anybody doesn’t want them.

I’ve also now updated the model to be parametric. In order to modify the model download the .f3d file and open in fusion360. You can use the Num_Teeth parameter to change the number of teeth. I designed it to work with pulleys between 52 and 72 teeth, less than that will not work, more than that probably will, but no guarantees. if you use less than ~60t a chamfer will fail, no biggie, you don’t need it at that size of pulley anyway and fusion doesn’t support conditional parametrics so it was easiest to just let it fail.

I’ve also added a Printing_Comp parameter that you can use to tune the fit of the belt. You can increase this or decrease this in .1 increments to fine tune belt fit (+ will increase the tooth spacing). I’ve only tested this with a 72t pulley, and I needed a (+) .1 Pulley_Comp value to get a good fit (on a Prusa mk2s with petg). To test tooth fit the best thing to do it start the print and kill it after 2-3 mm of the pulley section has been printed, then you can check it with your belt, adjust the parameter, and repeat until it fits how you like it.

You can also change the pulley width using the Belt_Width parameter. Put in your nominal belt size (3 mm of pulley width is automatically added to this.)

@riva_00 I’ve also uploaded a 15/66t pulley to the grabcad page just for you :slight_smile:

Please remember these models are provided as is for people to mess around with. I do not in any way guarantee that they are going to work without some fiddling around with them. Remember I have only printed these at a 72t size, but other pulley sizes should be really close to what you need as I have modeled a bunch of htd pulleys in the past and I used the same method here. In other words you can’t sue me if these don’t work, sorry! I also would’t really recommend printing them from an online service as they are probably going to be expensive as all getout and tweaking them to get them just right will be very painful/expensive.

Here is the grabcad link again:

https://grabcad.com/library/3d-printed-penumatic-hub-for-electric-skateboard-1

3 Likes

N1 :slight_smile:, Thanks for that. I’m a bit far away from re-doing my board but will update with thoughts and pics as soon as i can. I may soon invest in a 3D printer I reckon, they look like fun. Asking my dad to do em gives him an excuse to act all superior, and it’s getting old (like him :smile:) How much in filament did it cost to print a full hub may I ask? And how lond did it take to print?

I’ll look at creating my own pulley from your .f3d file once I’m home, as i’d like to know how you’ve done that.

1 Like

I’m really interested in trying this, but I’m worried the retainer rings would delaminate in use. Perhaps molding and casting the prints would make more durable hubs? Maybe using a rigid polyurethane plastic, it’s super durable.

I’ve had a new J-Head delivered for my printer so I’ll hopefully get a set printed soon.

What’s the best mount to use with the TB 218mm trucks for the 6inch pneumatics fit well?

Off-hand I know that @mmaner uses torques 218mm trucks, however i think they’re the same shape as the caliber 2’s

I’m using surf rodz with the 6 shooters. I run 90mm popacas on my TB 218s.

1 Like

Pretty much every caliber designed mount will work

What trucks would work with this setup of 3d printed hubs and 6x2 tires. Can a standard 180mm caliber trucks be used or do i need to go bigger?

That will fit, but wheelbite will be a bitch… TB 218mm trucks will do better

Its a pain in the ass to find 218mm in europe. Can 180mm be used but with a smaller deck up front to get around wheel bite?=