3D Printed Hub for 6inch pneumatics on caliber trucks

That’s why I use the balancing perls inside the tube. @DavidBanner you might give that a try. Other than that I can only imagine that the Dremel made it worse. Mine were slightly too large for my bearings (they didn’t sit tight) so I glued them in place with epoxy.

1 Like

sounds like i need to spend a little time on hole size calibration…

that said i only really need the hubs for some testing anf experimentation. not planning to really ride em

You know what, I think I’m going to have to try your balls out for size :smirk:

easy tiger! :joy:

1 Like

sounds suspiciously like tea-bagging, not sure this forums the right place for that kind of conversation

It was either balls or pearls

1 Like

I am not a native speaker so don’t really get that joke. Can someone explain?

1 Like

i think that was some humor gone wrong due to language barriers ^^

Joking :upside_down_face: 10 chars

The result is not too shabby, will be testing them out on the weekend

14 Likes

looks good, better than I thought a print would look. good job.

1 Like

I didn’t bother setting with the “nice skin” settings when printing the end pieces, so there are a couple of travel lines on there but the result is pretty decent.

Wobble isn’t too bad now the nuts are tights, but I still need to ride them to see for sure

2 Likes

Dude these look great! I would be down to buy a set if you ever decide to offer them.

1 Like

@Maxid deserves the glory for the great work with the design… nicely done sir!

Woah! I didn’t realize that there had been a bunch of action on this thread since I last looked at it. I had asked @Maxid if I could remix his hubs to add an offset (like six shooters) I finished up a few weeks ago and have taken a few rides around the block (so far so good) but the weather is stopping me from riding more. I figured I would post my remix in case anyone was interested (I am assuming that @Maxid is cool with this, otherwise let me know and I will pull them). These have a 10mm offset, so it is like having trucks that are 20mm longer, the extra room is really nice. I also designed them in 3 parts rather than 4.

One other change I made was to add a small shim on the retainers. I found that most of my runout was not in the hub, but in the wheels sitting slightly crooked on the hub, these shims make it so that you can still get the tire on the hub, but then center the wheel properly. Once you inflate the wheel it pushes up onto these retainers and rides pretty true.

Also, I printed these in PETG on my printer, as I now print everything in PETG (never going back to ABS!). Seems like they are holding up great so far, I have dropped them and inflated them to 50 psi no problem. We’ll see how they hold up with time.

Files: https://grabcad.com/library/3d-printed-penumatic-hub-for-electric-skateboard-1

4 Likes

Pics! (sorry for the bad lighting)

11 Likes

Nice job and finally someone got rid of the asymetric 6th screw - that always bothered me but I never got around actually changing the design again. Seems like yours are basically V2 of my design :+1:

1 Like

oooooo nice, 72t is a nice contrast to Maxid’s thirty-something. Love the sunken bolt holes too, that’s a bit of an annoyance with my current pulley. What width & tooth belt are you using in the pics? I need something better than my 9mm and want to get maybe 12/15mm ones due to belt slippage from standstill on the 15t motor pulley i’ve got…or make it an 18t pulley

@ Maxid - Yep went to 5 screws at your suggestion (I also did change the screws to 10-32 as they were cheaper for me, if anyone needs to know). Yeah it is basically a rev on yours. I remodeled the hubs but I basically copied your dimensions/design wherever I could then tweaked a few things.

@riva_00 - yeah, i guess we kind of hit the extremes with these pulleys. 72t is basically as big as I could squeeze in there. I run single motor 12s, so i want to squeeze as much torque out of it as I can seeing that I still have a lot of unused top end speed. The pulley/belt are HTD5 15mm, thanks for the reminder. I updated the description on grabcad as well. This is also the first board I have done with an Idler and I a have to say I am loving it. I cant get it to slip! I was using an 18t 15mm pulley before no idler and I still got slippage even with the belt super tight.

Awesome, 15mm belts are the way forward for AT stuff, I’m sending this to be printed and report back once i have it tested. Might be a while though as i get prints for free but they take ages… How hard would it be to make pulley variations? I’ve tried to make them myself but can only use fusion 360 at the mo and I can’t do them (I blame the software :slight_smile: ). Need to upskill but got so much other stuff on and learning CAD ain’t that simple.

With these printed I’ll have Maxid’s, Ptowncruiser’s and psychotiller’s original billet hubs.