A safe build/DB Lunchtray/"Jacob trucks"/Jacob hub Motors/ Enertion VESCs/Space cell/lipo flat pack

Thanks man, I could just hope that they are heat shrinked when they arrive. This isn’t urgent enough for enertion email standards is it…

Haha. Probably not. Maybe have a look on their Instagram, it might have some pictures of the VESC there. I’m pretty confident they would put heat shrink on.

2 Likes

If your plan is stealth. Then you should get a hollowed out board with flat packed lipos and hub motors controlled buly VESC’S with push assist. No controllers. no wireless. Simple.

i think gainig a bit of experience before such a build would be nice.

I liked your recent build with push assist :smiley: I’d like that as a future project, but maybe not for my first build. I was pretty keen on a remote to make sure i can ascend/descend hills without worrying about foot placement. I’ll stick with that. My main reasoning for going for the space cell was convenience, and knowing that liion seems to be safer than lipos. I didn’t think that 18650 cells were too thick. would a flat pack of lipos be so much slimmer than that?

For real? Havent you seen the pictures? A 6S lipo flat pack is about 5mm thick 12S around 10mm thick plus the thickness of a shrink wrap I guess… either way much thinner than a cylinder package.

4 Likes

It’s just difficult to Guage thickness through pictures. I gotta say I’m impressed. I’ll have to look into it since I’ve only been teaching myself about 18650 batteries. Do any threads come to mind for a crash course in wiring 10s lipos like this?

Yeah here http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/how-i-made-my-lipo-packs-slimmer/

Struggling to find a good way of charging multiple lipo packs, I considered doing it like the space cell with a bms and simple charging port but its all getting a little uncertain. also figured out that it would cost about the same as a space cell if not more: 5*2s 8000mah zippy batteries for 37v, 300 watt hours=230AUD Dave’s custom enclosure=65+AUD BMS= 100 AUD led display=~20 AUD Charger=50 + AUD this comes to around the same as the space cell. even if i found a way to charge the lipos, still think it’s worth it at the same price of a space cell?

@mccloed I was told you did something like this with an 8s lipo for @psychotiller. any tips or ideas would be appreciated for a 10s that can be charged simply :slight_smile:

Look up 10s smart charger on eBay. Looks like a laptop charger. Cost is about 25 bucks. Works great!

1 Like
This looks great ! keen to hear if it will work with a bms and charging port from those who have tried it

I used to own a Nelson Spindrift longboard (similar to a landyachtz switchblade) the friend i gave it to years ago got excited by my build and wants to donate it back to me if I want to use it. since it is so low to the ground, it would normally be a bad idea to use it for an Esk8, however I plan for my build to be at maximum the thickness of the space cell and using hubs instead of motors. It will give me a bigger platform to fit things in more comfortably. Does anyone have any big warnings about such a deck?

Hey so I just recieved some JST connecting wires. do they look ok to connect 2 vescs? And since there’s only female connectors on 1 end of each wire should I just solder bare wires to the middle pins or rather solder 2 wires like in the bottom picture and heat shrink the connections?

Bottom picture would be easier but have more wire spaghetti.

Thanks, I’ll see if I can keep it clean-ish. I considered yanking out the wires from a female connector and soldering it to the end of another wire but it felt like I was going to damage some connectors doing that.

Hey guys i have this parallel connector to go from the battery to 2 vescs. I keep reading that one should use 10 guage wiring however I realised that mine is 14 gauge wiring. I looked up how many amps 14 gauge wire can handle and It’s 32 amps. I plan to draw 40, maybe 50 amps in total from both vescs, so 20 to 25 max per vesc. I think it will be safe to use this but I am just asking because I will not like the smell of burning when im riding my board.

Excuse the lack of vescs in the picture.

I would use 10 AWG. Your choice though.

What is the awg to amp conversion

Just google Awg to amps chart

Ok thanks you