Absolutely not strong enough - what went wrong?

I can’t wait for my baby to grow up to come along with me to ride around the world.

1 Like

Magic happens when we go for some father - daugther time on the boards together. Finally we fund something that we both enjoy doing. That makes a huge difference.

4 Likes

Thanks @Ackmaniac. Just to be completely sure. So upping the motor max in settings won’t give me more topped only more boost - right? (@Deckoz?) Only the things you mention here will give me more top speed.

Well it depends…

Upoing motor max only gives more acceleration. As at higher duty cycles, the amps with be more in line with bsttery max than motor max.

Your battery is 6s6p, and can support 120 battery amps, you could try upping your battery amps to allow for more watts to flow. You could he hitting a speed limit because 20a battery max right now is only providing around 440watts

Battmax: 20A * 22.1v Nominal = 440W 40A * 22.1V Nominal = 884W

If you set an erpm limit like I previously mentioned to limit speed. You can put the erpm limit back up to 60k if it was lower.

It would first help to know what your current gearing is, and the max speed you are able to get to, to see if you are already meeting the speed potential of your setup, with load on it(your daughter).

Thanks… I am actually thinking of my own board. Just didn’t want to create a new thread :slight_smile:

On that I have tried to up the motor max. from 40 to 60. Fund that I got more boost but not more top speed. I don’t like the added boost, I just wanted to see if upping the motor max gave me more top speed. It gives me 29 mph right now, with is actually fast enough for me. Just wanted to see if it has more in it.

The battery is a 10s6p with 30q. The battery max is currently at 25 and the gearing is 16/60 with pneumatics.

1 Like

@davidbonde here is a chart showing the predicted performance you’ll get with (1) 140kv motor, 200mm tire, 16/60 (3.75:1) gear ratio, 25a bat limit, 40a motor limit, 38v battery:

^if you take a look at the yellow line, bottom left chart (net thrust pounds - thrust minus wind drag), it shows ~29mph top speed (as you reported) and about 23lbs peak vehicle thrust.

Cool - I will confuse it further :slight_smile: My board is: dual 190kv motor. 152mm tire. 16/60 gear ratio. :slight_smile: Is there a chart for that as well?

here’s the one for (2) 190kv, 152mm tire, 16/60 ratio, 38v battery, 40a motor limit, 25a battery limit per motor:

predicted is ~44lbs peak thrust and ~30-33mph top speed

the back emf voltage from the rotor magnets exceeds your pack voltage at about 33mph so you can’t go any faster than this unless you lower your gear ratio. (red & yellow lines, top left chart)

1 Like

@davidbonde about more top speed… here is a comparison chart first showing upping your settings from 25a bat & 40a motor limit to 60a bat & 80a motor limit, next showing switching your gearing from 3.75:1 to 2:1, which gives ~50mph top speed & 47.5lbs peak vehicle thrust:

…both steps lower your electrical to mechanical conversion efficency…

This is kinda cool but also a bit confusing for a electrical novice like myself. I am correct if I get out of it that upping motor and bat limit would not give me much, but changing the gearing would give me a lot?

Is that good or bad or indifferent?

@davidbonde step 1 in the animation shows ~doubling the motor and battery amp limits which will ~double your peak thrust, and in turn ~double your peak acceleration and peak power, but it doesn’t really alter your top speed. step 2 shows the combined effects of upping the current limits AND lowering the gear ratio… if you look at the red line, bottom left chart, doing both of these things together will give you roughly the same thrust/acceleration you had initially, but with ~20mph greater top speed. unfortunately doubling the motor amps and acceleration quadruples the ohmic heating in the motor, which lowers the efficiency (yellow line, top middle chart and green line, bottom right chart). if you were to not increase the current limits but only change the gearing, you’d have enough power there for about 40mph (see top middle chart in the first 190kv chart) if you lowered the gearing ratio (though you wouldn’t want to go as low as 2:1 without increasing the amp limits), but lowering the gear ratio without upping the current limits will lower your peak thrust and acceleration proportionately, so you could end up going 40mph, but you would accelerate more slowly than you do now. lowering the gear ratio and upping the current limits together gives you more top speed without sacrificing acceleration, but at full throttle your motors will get hotter more quickly and your range would be a bit diminished due to the lower efficiency.

1 Like

This is great @professor_shartsis. Thank you for taking the time to cut it into cardboard for me. It makes sense. It would be pretty easy for me to play with, if I find the top speed to little in the future. I then just need new motor pullys and belts. Right now I am ok happy with the 27-29 mph I have. But who knows :slight_smile: It is nice to see I have the opportunity.

@professor_shartsis Can you please link to that spreadsheet at all ? Cheers