Adding heatsink to enclosure?

What are people doing to add heatsinks to their enclosure? Something to get the heat outside of the enclosure. I live in a very hilly area and will do a ton of sustained uphill riding. However, it also rains all the time so the enclosure needs to remain watertight. Therefore I am thinking of adding an aluminum heatsink to the bottom like most OEMs are doing. What options are there for that?

2 Likes

Just making a rectangular cutout and adding an aluminum plate will add lots of cooling. Using a heatsink with fins is even better. Since its rainy, look for aluminum thats anodized so it wont corrode. And keep in mind that road salt is the mortal enemy of aluminum.

Do you have a recommendation of how I could mount that thing and make it watertight? I feel like just randomly cutting a hole in the case and gluing it in might not be the best looking solution.

1 Like

Got any pics or links of the case in question?

12s8p

1 Like

If the heatsink can fit within the enclosure with the esc, you don’t necessarily have to cut out. But if you have to, just cut a small portion of the enclosure as close to the size as possible but leave a few centimeters or millimeters for sealing and gluing and use silicone to do a good seal. Make sure to hot glue your heatsink in place though.

These are usually how I’ve seen others done it. But you might find your own solution. Mine is inside and I didn’t have issues since my enclosure is mostly fiberglass. But you’ll probably do one better.

1 Like

Ok thats a bit too nice to go cutting holes.

1 Like

Does it stay cool enough? my concern is I am running dual 5kW motors and I am going to be pushing them hard with a lot of uphill action so I suspect it’s going to get reeeealy hot in there.

1 Like

In your case, it’s actually best to do the small cutting option. Mine didn’t really give me issues and I’m always pushing uphills where I live and one hill I have is very steep. No issues. It sucks because that enclosure looks really good.

Edit: actually this would be the right way. But this is only for the 12s3p enclosure.

Looks like it shows a good example of what I meant.

If you ever decide to make your own, this would be the best example in my previous reply.

1 Like

Luckily it has a built in heatsink… for the 12s3p…

They never really get this part right…

1 Like

yea the tricky thing is figuring out where to buy one of those esk8 heatsinks. ebay has normal heatsinks, but they are not stepped for proper mounting. the esk8 ones are stepped and drilled to be attached properly.

1 Like

Some escs have their own attached. Others you can buy from esk8 manufacturers. Mine was attached.

1 Like

Isnt this you?

IMG_20220122_095121_706

1 Like

Lol already love this guy if it is. I think that out done my “what a gay thing to say” comment.

1 Like

So you’re in support of this racism too?

Words are words. I’ve hanged out with a bi sexual that says the hard r as a joke. He’s white. Same with a few gay black people that also says it as a joke. Nothing racist there. Imagine that world where no one was offended or sensitive.

We even laugh in a discord chat together. But I saw the thread. Glad he deleted it.

1 Like

Ok that bi dude is a racist piece of shit too. That’s like saying “I can say the n word. I have black friends”

2 Likes

That’s racist coming from you. You know better. What if he was raised in a black neighborhood and they don’t mind him?

Are you saying that regardless, they shouldn’t say it, despite being around those that allow it? Sounds like segregation to me.

1 Like

I’m speechless. This is some next level dumb shit

1 Like

This wasn’t? I question what you find “dumb”. Because what I gave you was factual. But then again, you’re the type of guy who changed his pfp to me to be a comedian. So fair play I guess.

1 Like