Airplane Restrictions for Batteries

They may be crazy expensive but when I build my air travel safe board, I am going to use the A123 LiFep04 cells. It may be more expensive and they still pose a risk, but I would feel terrible if anything happened because of me so I’m all for minimizing risk.

Not directed at you specifically, just saw you mention price.

1 Like

They might be expensive, yet they work well for high power eboards due to its spec. 6s 2p might just have 70A (take Sony konion us18650vtc5a as example) output , vesc can only handle about 50-60A, yet 12s can provide the same torque /power without blowing the vesc up @ 70A using have of the continuous ampere output (in theory)

United Airlines has just recently banned electric skateboards (among other battery-powered mobility devices) in checked or carrying passenger flights. So would lean towards other airlines for esk8 trips.

Recreational self-propelled vehicles, hoverboards and riding suitcases

In the interest of safety for our customers and employees, we do not accept as checked or carry-on baggage any recreational self-propelled vehicle or device designed to carry one or more persons or goods, and which moves by use of a lithium battery-powered electric motor.

Such devices or vehicles include, but are not limited to:

Smart balance wheels/boards such as Hoverboard, Airboard and Skateboard Self-balancing wheeled devices such as Ninebot Battery-assisted bicycles such as e-bikes Wheeled vehicles or motorcycles Electrically-powered scooters Riding, motorized suitcases

If the batteries are removed wouldn’t it just be a skateboard?

And they still allow batteries under 99Wh.

I will be traveling with my board and batteries separated to Germany. The batteries will be sealed in separate bags, each 99wh. I already contacted United and they have approved it (and sent me papers along with the approval), but you never know what will happen

Actually I will be heading to Spain and back from US on United, is there a phone number or email address for united that I can try as would be great to have something approved written down I could have with me. As you say, who knows what actually happens at the airport!

Is there an exhaustive list of airports/airlines restrictions on batteries and or electric skate/longboards? If not I would like to make one.

1 Like