All new 2019 VESC-Tool release

you can downgrade the vesc tool software to ver. 0.95 i think it is. I was having issues with my sons board remote, when i turn the remote off, the motor would start running at full speed. so i still have the older version of vesc tool on my pc so i downgraded the FW on the vesc back to 3.40 and everything is good now. really weird issue.

Anyone downgraded to 3.57 from Ackmaniac and noticed horrible throttle response?

That’s not a downgrade, it’s an massive update. The remote is probably calibrated to send a 100+% signal when switched off. You need to change that. Some receivers can be set to give a signal x when connection to remote is lost. This remote is known to send 100% signal if the receiver is not adjusted correctly. That’s why it’s on my personal dangerous product list.

Follow the instructions here on how to properly bind the remote. https://forum./t/how-to-bind-the-mini-remote/95

1 Like

THX for sharing this! The problem with this kind of failsafe is: If you don’t know about it, it can also work in the wrong direction, sending full throttle. For ESK8 it should not be possible to adjust it to positive values in failsafe mode.

1 Like

The pwm remote is set to 1000 start, 1500 mid 2000max. At failsafe it’s going to 1500. It’s not a failsafe issue it’s when I go off throttle the board keeps going for another second. Really scary in some situations. Think of it as playing online games with 1second ping.

Then stop using it. There is not a lot you can do about it except getting another PPM remote or better a NRF based remote.

Those are PWM, not PPM.

1 Like

Or I can upgrade to ackmaniac again since it works without issues there. I’m just looking for if I set something wrong or if the stock firmware is supposed to be this sluggish. I almost shit myself when I went full throttle with 2x70Motor amps and when going off throttle it kept accelerating for another second or so. That second felt way longer standing there wondering if I should bail or what.

Just updated for the latest firmware after more than year

Way better setup than before, with both VESC’s detecting simultaneously

The gradual brake at low speeds work but it’s not there yet, when in enter on the full short phase it’s still a big increase in braking force

But overall it’s working way better, changing settings via Metr works all the time, before I always had problems applying modes and all

1 Like

Do a proper ppm calibration and adjust the pos/neg ramping time if necessairy. The throttle response should be very direct. If thats not the case, something is funny with the remote.

I did try that. Is there anything else I can setup wrong? I suspect that it’s some kind of user error on my end… Ticked off a box I shouldn’t or smt like that. App should be set to ppm and uart when I’m using nrf/ble chip and ppm remote right ad then it uses can between the vescs for traction control and throttle. Could the can slow it down?

A lot of friends came back to previous FW version after having upgraded to 3.57. They all complain about the “lack of power” calling this FW “the veal” (in French, this is not used for complimenting :smile: ).

So even if the FW has new awesome features, crazy code lines and so on, the most important is the feeling of the rider. Isn’t it ?

And for the 3.57 this is a no-go for most of people, thus keeping them away from new safety features.

3 Likes

If you use the same settings for the motor and battery, there is no difference in power delivery, no matter what FW you use. Motor amps and Battery amp settings are defining how much power your board will have.

The RAMPING TIME might be set differently, but that is a quick change in the App settings.

2 Likes

Once the remote is calibrated, you should have a very direct throttle response. Try a Pos Ramping Time of 0.3 sec. If you still have a delay, your remote probably has an issue. In the input wizard you can see a bar showing the ppm signal. Does that react delayed or immediately?

PPM and UART is correct. Otherwise you will have no App connectivity. CAN will not slow things down.

1 Like

I’m not the guy to convince. Just document it for other people.

Actually, I’m tired to be the after-sale service for VESC “issues” (or let’s say “unattended behaviours”). The project is not UX oriented, we know that well now. But at least, please provide more information or even better : documentation.

I humanly can’t shoot a new video tutorial each time Benjamin release a new firmware.

1 Like

Setup documentation is online: https://vesc-project.com/node/178 The wizards are now pretty straight forward and UX is a lot better than ever before. Setup is super fast now. Things improved a lot!

Ok, so how do you explain that people are still encountering lot’s of pain setting up properly their VESC by their own ?

• “Why is the calculated batt max at 99A ? My battery will burn !!”
  • “Why is the CAN not working ?” (CAN ID calculation leads to CAN ID conflict 1 time over 255).
  • “Why my VESC Tool app doesn’t work anymore ?” (Because during the night, it updated automatically. No backward compatibility = limited mode = need to update constantly)
  • A lot more…

This is all but UX friendly bro. :wink:

BTW, nice addition to the documentation. This will help.

5 Likes

A thing I don´t like, when you have a dual motor setup via can-bus…

When using the wizzard for the setup, the process detects both vesc nicely, and setup both the vesc, with those “random” amps numbers etc., Same goes for the remote setup. BUT here comes something, you have to pay attention to. Until now, the process setup both the vesc. But if you then think, that those motors amps or braking amps, is totally wrong, and change that in the GUI, these new numbers is only changed in the vesc you are connected to via USB. If you are not aware of that, you could have two motors with totally different settings ??? I still dont think this new wizzard, is user friendly at all(the old was Better), specially not for newbees

I think on canbus, slave vesc settings are completely ignored so doesn’t matter what they are. can someone confirm?

Okay… Are you sure ? First time running the wizzard , the settings is set on both vesc