Any DIY parts or Prebuilt boards for under $400?

You can have a look through here if you would like. This is my build thread, both board prices are in AUD $. The single motor is about $520 now as I swapped in a vesc and the dual board is $650, but will rise a bit more after I put a new battery in it

1 Like

Where in PA are you located?

It will. But anti sparks can blow. I burned out two on one week. I’ve heard some last months. Some a few hours. I hear lhb has a real solid one. But i don’t know first hand. Loopkeys work and cost less.

If you have heavy hills you’ll probably need dual drive

3 Likes

Near philly

1 Like

Which thread?

Do you think the loopkey would still work with the on/off switch and the other electronic components? And I was afraid of that possibility but I think it is worth the risk of trying 1 motor first and if it seems to warm up and strain on the hills I would then upgrade to dual.

A 6374 will stay cooler under load at same speed /incline BUT if you end up wanting to go dual drive you’ll need wider trucks or have to mount motors diagonally

1 Like

The loopkey replaces the on off switch.

2 Likes

Lol my bad, I forgot to link it. I always do this

1 Like

Do you think a single 8000mah 6s with that 6374 would be sufficient for ~20mph and 10 miles? And after looking into the loopkey, I am definitely going that route. Also, I have seen problems with the LED battery gauge only working with certain batteries.

Electronically, would this system below work?

Battery>Loopkey>LED>charge port>BMS>Vesc>motor? Unsure of how much the order matters

Im not great with battery stuff just yet. Still learning alot myself. @b264 @Andy87 could probably answer that easily

I don’t have a battery gauge on my board. Just

Works on all my boards. Less holes in enclosure

2 Likes

Oh snap, I have never seen something like that. That is a laptop input? That’s interesting. The battery gauge is my lowest priority

Made by another member on the site. Super easy to make tho. Just plugs into your charging port.

That‘s right and that’s why you need to look which led display you buy. There are some different where you can set the battery type, the cell count and what you want to get displayed. I recommend to get the overall voltage displayed. Way much more objective. If you have a bit knowledge of electronics, the DaveGA display could be a good option for you too.

And yes the order of your components matter. Maybe you can make a small diagram how you plan to wire things up and than we can have a look if it’s right or not.

1 Like

Wow, yours looks a lot like mine. Cool gauge!

20181213_135632

20181118_205522

20181213_182214

7 Likes

No. 4 8000mah 6s in a 12s2 will though. Or even 4 5s in a 10s2.

1 Like

You can get racerstar 200kv motors on banggood or AliExpress express for about 40 each

2 Likes

is there any Lipo combo you would recommend, if I am looking for a small volume? Hopefully only 2 batteries.

That is difficult because of the fact that you need a vesc that is built for 2 motors. Plus can you really buy a quality motor for only $40? all the ones that I have seen are $90ish.

2 batteries is cutting it close but, I may be wrong, 16000mah multistar 4s, 2 of those in series should get you what you’re looking for. However those lipos are $150-200 a piece. And a lot bigger than the latter.

1 Like