Atom Camper - EMTB - MBS - Dual FOCBOX - 10s12p

image image image image image

I’m circling back around to this trailer, still trying to make it all work. I’m thinking of making a metal piece and clamping it to those bars - but are they durable enough to deal with the weight of the entire trailer behind?

Also the I’m allocating a lot of the space for batteries, about 2 cubic feet of 3 in the trailer. I really want to be able to ride all day, charge all night. Still deciding between Li-ion vs Lead-Acid for the batteries because of cost issues

5 Likes

What would the price per ah be for the two battery types? How many ah are you adding

I have no idea what it is per ah bc the cost varies so wildly depending on the battery, let alone the type. I was thinking somewhere around 100ah at 36 volts

1 Like

Holy fuck that’s a big battery That’s like 100 miles on pneumatics

The goal is to first make it to Los Angeles and back, then the entire country. I want to be the first to do it on a DIY esk8

7 Likes

Maybe something like this 3x:

For flat road application where I’m not drawing too many amps and then I’ll switch to my regular battery for hill climb application. I’m not sure though… with myself, the mountain board, dual drive, and the trailer I’d really like to have 60A available at all times

1 Like

You could have it so those batteries are in parallel with the liion. those charge the liion but the discharge would be adequate

@JLabs I love your motors but that damned C clip just came loose again :weary: I had to go single drive around SF

That’s really odd, your the only one to report such an issue. My guess is that it’s permanently loose now. Send me a pm and I will see if I can get you a new clip that’s tight

Before I got cool and made an esk8, I was modding old Schwinn and gt scooters for cruising around my neighborhood /parks with my son (bicycle trailer on back because I’m lazy and kids get bigger). I made one pack out of SLA batteries using a DPDT switch that would toggle between 2 or 3 of the batteries in series (24v or 36v speed). I made another scooter with 6 SLAs (2x 3s) and used the DPDT switch to make a second reserve battery switch. Worked a treat except the weight of the thing. It was heavier than a mini dirt bike but I could ride forever. Really hoping to do this with lithium packs soon. Keep up the good work, I’m rooting for you. Send me pics from the Appalachian trail

1 Like

Great to hear someone else using Lead Acid! I’m not too concerned about the weight other than the additional strain when starting or stopping. What kind of discharge were you sporting? I can’t find any 100ah that seem to have more than 30A capability.

Did you open and close the motors? Usually circlips are not reusable, once you take them off you throw away and put a new one, they are really cheap

When I fixed it before I just tried to carefully bend it back to be tight enough around the shaft to keep everything in place, I guess it would’ve been better to replace it. This is the first time I’ve had this problem and @JLabs has been kind enough to send me a new clip so I think it’ll probably be fixed for good when I get that on.

2 Likes

Hey there twin… 20190207_122020

On your setup photos, I notice you included the washer between the rear boardside street chubby and the hanger. Is this just to prevent wear?

2 Likes

It’s because of the weird indent in the truck base. I noticed a more stable setup with the washer, since it’s more precise than the cast metal of the truck

1 Like

Ok I PMd you another question because I didn’t want to explode your post here with questions lol

Hey everyone, I am looking to possibly sell this in the SF Bay Area to fund a backpacking trip that I am taking through Europe this summer. It would be sold with every part on it seen in this build thread except the trailer hitch, so the buyer knows exactly what they’re getting. I’ve been busy with school and other things, so the board only has about 175 miles on it in total, the Trampa Gummies less than 25. 1 of the motors has an issue with the C clip, but I have a replacement that will come with the board and it’s a 5 minute fix.

Edit: I can also put a mini-remote in instead of the Hoyt Puck if you’re not too keen on having a remote with my username engraved in it

3 Likes

What are you looking to get for it? @anorak234

1 Like

I have no idea tbh, never really tallied up how much it cost me in parts. I’m gonna stick with the strategy of waiting for offers.

1 Like

Alright. Not in the market but figured I’d get that out there. Good luck with the sale and have fun in Europe.