Best Hub Motor Options?

I just wanted to chime in and say whatever ACTON used for the HUB motor is rubbish, so I’m assume that i-wheelin stuff is crap. That thing died on me so quickly, even the Landwheel still works (the motor, the V3 esc has failures)

Im also a big guy 6’6" 280lbs, im looking for good hub motors for a customer build, im building the board for my girlfriend to ride around with me when i get my R2 but i want it to be able to pull me along just fine. What hubmotors are currntly available, i cant find any carvon hubs and only maytech are available but they seem under powered and have a small 80mm wheel

So I’m in the same boat as you, I can tell you that nothing is made for a guys our size. I wouldnt recommend hub motors for heavy guys unless you want to build a 4wd and are willing to drop some serious $. The Torqueboards hubs and the carvon hubs are the only ones Ive used with success, but at your weight, even those will get hot if you climb any hills or go fast for very long. If I let my 140lb friend ride my dual carvon board he can go zoomimg back and forth and up and down hills and the motors are barely warm. 1 lap around the block with me on it and they are already getting dangerously hot. I built a 4wd board wth the torqueboard hubs and that really dropped the temps of the motors but 4 hub motors and 4 VESC’s and a battery with enough umph to drive them is gonna cost you!

Are there any cons to a 4wd hub board? Speed wobble; weight; power distribution; dirt flying everywhere? Thanks!

you have to buy more escs. likely heavier. slightly more complicated.

If you need four then so be it but if you can get enough motor for your needs in two seems even better to me.

1 Like

How much would a 4WD hub motor setup be better in gravel road situations than a 2WD hub one?

Altho I could always make my board such that i can easily convert it to either 2WD or 3WD, especially If I know I won’t be using 4WD for a period of time. Heck, my single belt can almost get me everywhere if there wouldn’t be such sideways motion from 1WD
I’m probably thinking too much if I can rathen than if I should…

Yea this is the second time I’ve warrantied off this Acton blink. I’ve now had to shoot 4 videos of it completely failing. That motor is shit. Then the board just up and died and we sent it off for a warranty and after 4.5 weeks of waiting we got it back. It worked but continued to have complete motor failure about 10 minutes into riding. Now it’s back off to Acton again for warranty. It was purchased in April and in 4 months I’d has spent half of that for warranty. Fuck acton.

I like that motor cover underneath the deck!! Did you design that yourself?

Hi all,

It looks like this thread has been quiet for a while but I was wondering if anyone can recommend some hub motors for a dual motor setup.

I’m struggling to find suppliers in the UK and the only stuff I can find seems to be the cheap Chinese motors on eBay…

Any help would be appreciated.

Check out my build here! I’m using TorqueBoards dual 75KV motors. Haven’t had a chance to use them yet(except for in my livingroom) but they’ve got good reviews from other users here!

Thanks for the heads up, unfortunately they’re sold out. Also looks like they wouldn’t handle hills all that well in the UK :confused:

Well, hubs aren’t ideal for hills… But these are among the best hub motors out there. Carvons are the best, but they’re not hubs.

1 Like

Could be a good option then, I’ll try contacting them directly and see if they will be in stock again soon. Maybe a 4WD setup may be a better idea.

Ideally looking for something with the ability to climb hills and minimal rolling resistance

“use belts”

Someone had to do it

4 Likes

Bigboytoys has a 4WD with TorqueBoards hubs, check it out!

I’m guessing Dexter is upgrading his hubs again, hence them being sold out

Spur gears à la @GrecoMan ! I’m sold into hubs but if you can’t find any and want hill climbs with low rolling just try this.

Hi man, Do the hub motors are now available for sale, ant input on that ? Thanks!

You don’t understand hub motors are more efficient. Their is a big difference between torque and efficiency. Hub motors are like a honda civic. Civic’s are fast if you set it up right. Some people even have managed to get 40+ mpH off hubs.comparing a civic to a mustang makes no sense. The mustang being belt driven. Yes you can get bigger motors, however your always going to be at the mercy of friction. Hubs have only 1 thing that turns. that is what makes it efficient…

It’s not only about the rolling resistance. It’s the fact that hub motors do less work than belt drive motors. Belt drive rely’s on belt tension and tooth ratio and a ton of other stuff. Hub motors just go. They only turn 1 thing the wheel which creates propulsion. The future is looking bright for all electric sports cars. Mustang by ford is guiding the direction of high performance electric sports vehicles. Think of it like a tesla compared to a porshe. Their both very fast cars, however Tesla is much more efficient.

1 Like

If size weren’t a limitation a direct drive could be more efficient but otherwise gearing is more efficient. Is the new Ford actually direct drive? I can’t find it.

1 Like