Bioboards Thorium X4 - 4WD Geared Drive | Custom made Evo style board | Caliber 2 baseplate | Fatboy 230 Hanger | 12s6p 30Q | 4x Vesc 6.6 | 4xFatboy Gear Drive | 4x 6374 special ordered motors | Metro Pro | Abec 11 107mm

This looks great! Can you detail how you did the 4 VESC’s via canbus cable? Like the wiring mainly, and then any other things you had to do to make 4 VESC’s all run together this way. I was planning a 4WD build, but the only thing that I kept getting confused about was how to wire it properly.

In my current build I’ve got dual ESCape’s and the DieBieBMS, which has two canbus ports. So I was told I could run both VESC’s to the BMS, and then assign the BMS as ID:10, and then for the VESC’s just do a typical master/slave config. Though I’m not sure if I still need to connect the VESC’s together or not… Lol, ok sorry to sidetrack from your thread. Just an explanation of how your did your VESC’s would be great :smile:

2 Likes

Hi, Ofc I can help you. I’m not familiar with diebiebms. But for vesc connect it with canbus cable you daisy chain connect, or if you have 2 dual vesc just use 1 cable connect them both. In vesc tool, connect 1 vesc 1 by 1, do motor wizard, thene app wizard, choose can bus is 1,2, 3 and 4, also on app wizard start choose 1 as master the other as slave, thene power off connect canbus cable and power on and you are rdy for 4wd! Remember to invert motor on 1 side so they all move forward. Good luck!

2 Likes

For diebiebms I think you just do a canbus connector in the daisy chain so you totally have 3(dual) or 5(singel vesc) connector. Give the diebiebms a canbus ID that is not the same as the other vesc as example 5 if you used 1-4 for the vesc Edit: but this is just a gues, I never used diebiebms

Could you show a pic of the daisy chain you did for the VESC’s please? Thank you for your help!

1 Like

Sure I can paint one tomorrow for you

1 Like

Enjoy my professional drawing :smile: Haha but i hope you understand it? canbus4vesc

8 Likes

here you go

image https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/29/Daisy_chain.JPG

solved

18 Likes

Got alot more work today. Ground clearence is good:(5cm)

Waiting on Unity focboxes, it will be alot easier to make it look better with them instead of 4 single vesc but fixed the layout today so it still look good: 4wd test in action :

9 Likes

Wow, this is going to be one impressive build.

I am with the others, really interested in the process you took to press that deck! I’m an aspiring deck maker right now, and by aspiring I mean all of mine aren’t that great yet!

2 Likes

Ok today I finally did assamble it and fixed all wiring and tested it. Lots of time waisted because it took me 3 hours to find out why the fu** I got drv error on one vesc suddenly for no reason. Luckily I found it and it whas not broken, it whas a medalic dust who shorted a pin on the chip… So here it is(not easy to fit all this electronics, can’t wait to get dual unity, it will make it alot easier thene 4 single) : IMG_20181019_165439_031

Didn’t have time to fix the holes in the enclosure but tomorrow I will so I will finnaly ride it!

@Itsmedant I will try next week to visit the joinery and take some picture of the process. But I’m actually consider to buy boards for the ones I will sell because they take to mutch time to fix. But will still paint them the same way and mill them for the 120a discharge bms in the 4wd version.

9 Likes

A video from first street test:

Wow it felt like I was riding my raptor 2 downhill when I did a uphill and I wasn’t even close to full throttle probely only 15% because it was wet and the board didn’t have any grip on it. Can’t wait to do a full test with full power and grip!
8 Likes

It looks bestial!!! :smiling_imp: you do well to go slowly to begin, especially in these conditions :sweat_smile::droplet: Enjoy & Ride safe :v:

2 Likes

Ty! Also did weight it, wasn’t that bad for all this parts on it. 16.7 kg

3 Likes

Did alot of uphill test today. WOW the hillclimb is crazy it feels lik im going downhill. I did at max 60 km/h on a steep uphill and i was not even close to throttle the remote max! And the brakes is increadible strong in both high speed and low speed, i did have to lower the settings alot for the brakes. First try i did go downhill at around 30 km/h and almost flew of when i did the brake :smiley:

20 Likes

Impressive !! It almost sounds like turbine ! !! Insame setup :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I beleive you, it must be crazy when you hit the trigger !

3 Likes

Omg! That’s amazing! Almost full boar dmade with parts from forum member.

1 Like

After first rides, I always suggest to take off the cover to check if everything is alright with gears and all screws are in place and tight :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Sick man! I’ve watched some of your progress on Instagram. We had similar 4wd builds that completed at similar times.

It’s wild accelerating up steep hills! Be safe in your quest for full throttle. I’m headed out today to find top end too.

2 Likes

21x0ws

3 Likes

DSC_0950%20ny ny DSC_0991%20ny DSC_0959%20ny DSC_0945%20ny

26 Likes