Boots vs Shoes when boarding

Of course @longhairedboy would notice me riding in my combat boots :yum: that brought me to the question of what do you prefer to use for a riding shoe?

I came off of being a snowboarder most of my life so it always seemed natural to me to have a boot for the ankle support. I like to think that my boots help with the ride stability at high speeds and feel less confident boarding in shoes without that support.

I always found it interesting that the majority of boarders ride in shoes, why do you all prefer the footwear you use when you board, what advantages do you feel you gain from it?

7 Likes

If you ride in Austria with those you would be instantly classified as ā€œNaziā€ :laughing: Back to the topic. I use my board as my daily commute and I usually only wear normal shoes, I personally donā€™t need any ankle support. :joy: Just my personal preferenceā€¦

4 Likes

Vans, because theyā€™re awesome. They just allow more board feel vs other shoes.

7 Likes

Using the worst thing possible, namely fila ā€œrunningā€ shoes. No connection with the board (got used to it), but I can easily ride 30 km off-road without breaking a sweat and wish I could go twice that distance.

3 Likes

No shoes is my preference, but not something i do every time. I prefer to feel the road, the board, and everything. Unless iā€™m riding really fast and then its vans, but derp speed (<20 mph) gets the barefoot. I group ride in shoes to avoid arguments and set an example, though sometimes those shoes are flip flops because fuck you. Vans because they donā€™t lose grip and i can sense everything better in them than other shoes. However, they tire my feet quickly.

I actually get less foot fatigue barefoot than i do with Vans with inserts, Nike Air, or even those floofy generic running shoes. Not talking about Vans inserts, either. I got the high dollar Dr Schollā€™s ā€œi stand all day at my industrial jobā€ inserts.

I ride 20 to 30 miles at a time on trails and back streets like that, so burning calves and sore feet are too familiar.

9 Likes

Sanuks or nothing

2 Likes

not particular shoes but i prefer relatively rigid sneakers with some amount of drop heel to toe. donā€™t know why, i just like the feeling of being on my toes on the board.

also rigid sides so feet donā€™t move around inside the shoe as youā€™re carving or coming to a stop.

so these nike free rn i wear nearly everyday are not great for riding since theyā€™re neither rigid or have any drop.

3 Likes

Well the rest of the world just calls them Doc Martens :yum:

4 Likes

Guess Iā€™ll have to try barefoot in winter now. This guy could probably do it. Heck of a marketing stunt. 20433_005

4 Likes

Yeah, umhh the history of Germany/Austria is a little bitā€¦ twisted?. :thinking: Iā€™m not going to upload pictures but you can look iu up yourself :slight_smile:

1 Like

iā€™m sitting here trying to imagine the kind of person who would look at YOUā€¦ a woman with the ethnic features you haveā€¦ and think youā€™re a naziā€¦ over some shoes.

3 Likes

In summer I wear Toms, in winter I wear slippers - Indoors, because I donā€™t skate in the cold or the rain or if it looks like it might rain or be cold or too early or too late.

I wear Toms and ride in perfect conditions

2 Likes

I wear vans for skating, nothing better for feeling the board. Lake Shore Path in Chicago used to be so rough, I donā€™t get leg fatigue.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a thread that @Michaelinvegas posted a long time ago, still has some good info. I know its still good info because Iā€™m still wearing the same shoes and they look like crap but I love them :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Just saying what had happened to me already in Austriaā€¦

O geez i thought you said Australia. Austria makes more sense.

6 Likes

For where I grew up, its just the color of the laces you got in your boots! (Hasnā€™t been that way in a while though)

Alot of the skin head punks back in the scene wore boots with white laces or red laces, depending on their ā€œstatureā€ in their gang, or something they did to earn the red.

My boots, I threw either black or grey in there just to avoid shit when I was hanging in that scene. Now, I really DGAF, if I think red laces look cool, Iā€™ll throw them in.

but @Lunasi, I can ride in either, I prefer riding in a higher top skate shoe. My currents are the TNTs though, I really like them for being a lower top, and they are bright ass pink which is pretty rad IMO.

2 Likes

Donā€™t worry people on this forum always mess up Australia and Austriaā€¦ :smile:

Itā€™s just the boot itselfā€¦ Just google ā€œWehrmachtā€ and you will find some pictures that will explain everythingā€¦ Unbenannt I hope no one will fell offendedā€¦

2 Likes

Yea, I wouldnā€™t wear thoseā€¦for one, they are ugly as shit! No wonder. HAHA!!!

These are my main boots with some Dr. Marts mixed in every now and then.

boots They are called Jump boots, its what our countries paratroopers wear.

The ones I have have a steel toe and a steel shank running down the sole. I call them either my ā€œsnake stompersā€ or my ā€œshit kickerā€ boots.

3 Likes

They actually look pretty nice in my opinionā€¦ if I wore those in Austria I donā€™t even want to think about the disgusted faces and comments I would getā€¦
Just a kitten to boost the mood a little bit :smile:

2 Likes