Boots vs Shoes when boarding

Stop it please :joy: I currently have 5 tabs open and thatā€™s more than enough :joy:

1 Like

Iā€™ll find myself doing it, then Iā€™ll stop and ask myself what Iā€™m doing with my life and slowly clean up my mess.

2 Likes

These have become my cold weather go to footwear when it is below 40F so I will be wearing them for the next 5 months.

image image

2 Likes

Have you guys seen those rad skateboard shoes before? I think thereā€™s tons of brands and lots of optionsā€¦all for skateboardingā€¦

Is there really a noticeable difference for you between the Vanā€™s ultracush inserts and Dr Scholls industrial inserts? Are these the gel work inserts?

Back in the day I installed some 12 hole doc martens on a pair of quad skates and was the man. All my pals had hockey boots and I had the big boppers on there. Now I wear converse all stars for that non existent placebo ankle support but at least you can feel the deck. Could not imagine boarding in a pair of docs. Still have a pair so going to try it for science.

4 Likes

I prefer low shoes, I have a slight obsession with Converses, so usually I wear that. The problem with boots is the slightly higher heel, so the feel of the board is odd (maybe you get used to it?) Shoes seems better just because if you tuck, a bit of ankle movement is needed.

This weekend I met a guy who rides with Vibram toe shoes, I guess that would be a good fit if you want to really feel the board. Might give that a try since I have a pair, my concern would be emergency foot stop or run offā€¦might break off a toe.

On this same day there was also the guy who ate it, scrapped up arm and leg, but also was limping back to the parking lot because his shoelace ripped off when he fell and tumbled. So I guess boots mightā€™ve held up better?

1 Like

yes, there is. the vans inserts arenā€™t asā€¦ serious i guessā€¦ about vibrational damping when riding over long distances. I think maybe its because the dr scholls were designed for standing 9 hours a day and the vans were more designed for skating, which is much different pushing on longboards or in skate parks than on long distance rides on an esk8, and happens in bursts or sessions.

If I have a choice, my two favourite sneakers to ride in are my Adidas EQTs: image

ā€¦or my reebok furylites: image

But because I use my board to get to work, often I just end up wearing whatever Iā€™m wearing for workā€¦ which is how I ended up riding in a brand new pair of these yesterday: (would not recommend) image

As often as I can, I like to go with a happy compromise: image

1 Like

ā€Žā€Žsame

I wore vans back in the late 90ā€™s, then I went converse for the next 20 years. I finally got a pair of Vans ā€œTNT Advanced Prototypeā€ for better padding and vibration dampening. The sole was so grippy I donā€™t think I would need grip on my boards

1 Like

True. The ones i have donā€™t slip at all for anything.

I wear these everyday everywhere image these if I have to go to court

5 Likes

For me with my boots I just feel like I can set a power stance and get better control of the board, helps when I hit a big crack going 30mph. My first esk8 was also a leiftech so the support really helped when using the freebord bindings.

3 Likes

Is it possible to have a pair of shoes in your backpack so you can switch them after your ride? I assume most people have backpacks or some sort when using their boards for commute.

1 Like

Oh yeah, for sure I could fit my work shoes in my backpack. I definitely considered it.

But my ride to work is like 5 minutesā€¦ plus a few minutes of turning everything on, putting on gloves and helmet at each end. Changing shoes would probably mean Iā€™d spend more time switching between work and riding attire than actually riding! Riding in dress shoes isnā€™t THAT bad, just not ideal.

1 Like

Oh, lol. Yea that actually is a dilemma. I guess for you, that is the most efficient way.

1 Like

Find a cobbler and see if he can throw some Vans soles on some Cole Hannsā€¦Iā€™d take a set too!

2 Likes

Think high tops. Normally vans sk8 hi pros. But Iā€™ve got PFFlyers that work well too. Anything that covers the ankle and allows me to feel the concave of my deck. Especially on fast turns, i like to be able to wrap my toes or heal around the deck.

1 Like

I personally have landed on Nike SB after trying lots of skate shoes and insolesā€¦my insoles are still a secret sauce yet posted here somewhere deep. the Nike SBā€™s hold up longer than vans and other skate shoe brands, at least in my experience. they didnā€™t look very durable to me but the proof is in the pudding, they last the longest and are very comfortable and lightweight. I need to get another pair here soon, Iā€™m on my third pair already after finding the model I like. Insoles for eskating are wonderful and most skateboarding insoles work perfectly fine. For super long range eskating I prefer a more vibration damping solution made for the job.

2 Likes