BRING BACK THE EVENTS CATEGORY - this is SO much more than a builders forum!

LHB :fist_left:t3:

But wait a second…If one were to have a builders convention, or even a simple shop day, where tools and tips are shared, just where should that be promoted?

Would be a perfect fit to post it right here:

Unlock it, and be done with it please.

3 Likes

that’s a good point.

perhaps there should be an exception for build events. Group rides do belong on .club in my opinion but yeah, what about build events?

2 Likes

agreed. this is a stupid move. if @onloop really believed in what he was saying then he would send all the new Raptor2 owners to THIS forum to learn how to use the BLDC tool and app’s to program the FOCBOXes to cusomise their new rides. and there should be no threads on the club forum regarding programing and modifying.

1 Like

This forum is about building esk8. Raptor 2 customers don’t need to build anything. If they do want to custom tune their board software they can, all they need to know is how to plug in a USB cable and install an app.

We made a custom bldc interface just for raptor 2 customers. Much more user friendly than the normal bldc tool. We removed all the technical stuff that can cause damage.

If people want to fully modify the R2 and make a custom battery they will come here.

Anyway… Im not sending people anywhere… People can do what ever they like, all I am doing is makeing environments that are better suited to different Peoples needs.

Have you ever been to a night club that has an RnB room and a house music room. Or drum and bass room?.. you decide the club doesn’t.

People will go to the room they like the most.

1 Like

well you kind of are by removing the events from this forum.

spin it however you want. there is no need to lock that section.

oh, and you realise that I wasnt actually being serious about raptor2 owners coming here to change their settings. I was just trying to highlight how silly it is.

clearly the communitiy wants an event category. they should have an events category.

1 Like

@onloop

You’re ignoring the elephant in the room - riders can and are organizing elsewhere. Not here or the club. Riders are already leveraging existing social platforms to self-organize. Ultimately I can’t see the club surviving - you’re up against gigantic companies with well-entrenched user bases. And FFS drop the .club and make it .riders - .club is too generic and sends a mixed message. .riders tells you everything you need to know right there in the name. Besides, the word club is a stodgy anachronism. How many clubs do you belong to IRL?

I guess my real question is what makes the .club website special?

To that end…

What function does .club perform that is world-class? Why should it be the preferred destination for all things eskate? How are you actively attracting users away from other organizing platforms?
Where is the unique content?
Non-technical folks don’t like walls of text - how do you get around that on a forum that is structured for technical people?

I think the nail in the coffin is that every time you drive people to external sources you weaken your position. Take group ride eskate videos. Tishawn Fahie has an awesome youtube channel, and all the group ride info is posted in each video description. He’s actually attracting RIDERS and promoting events, and doing a hell of a job too. Want to compete? This is a decent model to duplicate. Physical outreach and building community are huge. Concrete Wave had a great article about this. I’m not saying you’re not doing this already, but I’ve seen a whole lot of group ride videos lately, and none of them are from or sponsored by enertion. Maybe its a critical mass issue, and once the R2 is out visibility will change.

Anyway, events cater to different groups. Do you want to undermine your user base by exposing them to the DIY crowd over here? It’s basically lifting the curtain and exposing the wizard, leading to the inevitable question “This really doesn’t look that hard to do on my own…” How does it benefit enertion to mix these groups together? I imagine some DIY’ers may eventually purchase an enertion board, but I’d be willing to bet that more prebuilt folks would attempt DIY the second time around. Especially with the way technology is advancing - smaller, better, cheaper is the mantra.

2 Likes

Domain extension is not available for any word you want, .riders is not an option.

The URL is obviously important, it dictates the theme that the site is based on. But it doesn’t actually matter, it could be anything. The users and the topics & content is king. esk8.builders will always be inherently technical

ALSO, one extremely important element is the user experience! This forum & .club is built using “discourse” i believe it is the best forum software available. It makes building a community easy & it makes communication easy & it makes organising data super easy. I personally think it is superior to any other social network alternative. That is why esk8.builders forum is so well loved & popular… it’s just nice to use.

it’s superior to Reddit, Facebook, Youtube & Instagram

that is not for me to decide, a forum is simply a platform, its members create content.

this esk8 forum & the club forum is not designed to capture & control anyone, in fact, it is the opposite. It’s simply an open networking platform to connect people so they can communicate freely & learn about & share stuff they are interested in.

Promoting external sources is actually a key objective of mine. We all must grow together to build a bigger better community & industry.

been happening a while:

Don't Look

http://i.imgur.com/5lQWa.png

1 Like

if only i could see all of the memes at once i could catch them all.

There is an events category, it’s right here:

https://www.electric-skateboard.club/c/electric-skateboard-events

ALSO, I have made a shortcut to EVENTS in the drop down menu, just two clicks away:

I have also emailed the hosting provider & asked if the 88 events we have here can be migrated to the club website.

The events section heavily under utilized.

• Only 88 Events created in the 789 days of the forum being here
  • Only 1 Event topic every 9 days? & this is a global community who says they love their events?..
  • The event topics are barely 1% of the topics on this entire forum.
  • Only 2798 replies compared with over 200,000 for the site - this is only 1.35% engagement

I don’t know about what you guys think, but that is really bad performance, basically, this community isn’t using the events category & we are not effectively promoting electric skateboard riding as a community. This is disappointing!

It’s my mission to promote riding events and bring electric skateboard riders across the globe together as one big happy family, so then we can all have more fun & promote bigger & better events.

The way we will do this is by creating a riders club & community focused on the riding.

Why would anyone who is truly passionate about our sport/industry not want to see more people participating in more community events?

Give me a break…

30 threads that had replys in the last 30 days.

There were multiple active threads that were locked with no notice, no warning, no explanation until now, three days after the fact when people have been continuously and politely saying “WTF! Why lock events?”

An explanation and the reasoning behind it is irrelevant.

Now after 2-3 days of trying to justify your action, you are just now trying to see if you can move everything over there because you know you fd up doing it the way you did.

Furthermore…

Nobody uses message boards (forums) for group rides on push bikes, motorcycles, or kayaks ecetera…, everything’s done on Facebook.

It’s just easier for all and that’s just the way it is.

Don’t believe me?

Exhibit A: This WAS an active thread about a group ride.

People don’t care to let everyone in on how awesome their ride was.

They can let their clique know all about it on their FB if they want.

Or they can make a fake facebook name and not have to bother with knowing their boss or family knows what they do in their spare time.

1 Like

Our room here should have an events category.

1 Like

One of the more recent events threads was for the So Cal performance day. While it was promoted on several rider sites (including the .club site), the majority of people involved came from righthere. And I dare say it invigorated a lot of us regarding build and race possibilities. It pushed the community forward. There is now no place for those sorts of events here now.

I see your long term vision of what you are working towards, but I think you are cutting off your nose to spite your face. From outside appearance, it looks like you made this decision on a whim because someone created an event you didn’t agree with. It was a group ride for a competing board. You told them that group rides like didn’t belong here. They posted the rules for the event section. You decided you were going to delete that section of the forum. Can you look at that through outsiders eyes and see how it looks? It’s not Good optics.

Why not discuss it with the community first and see what they think? I’ve heard a lot about how people view this as a family. I’d expect families to talk things out before making decisions. If part of the group doesn’t feel heard, you risk losing that portion of the community.

2 Likes

we like evolve stuff, couldn’t care less if someone is making an event for evolve, just do it in the esk8.club… also, i believe you were at one of our recent events, we invited & welcomed everyone because we think the riding community is more important than brands…

nothing has been deleted

the creators of these events could easily re-create the event on the club, in fact if they do that ill take the time to link to the event from the old closed event category.

I do believe that members of the community now wishing to create an builder-related event will bring it to the “General discussion” category instead. This will create more hassle instead of the usual sorting system… just sayin’

1 Like

like i said, I’m not here to control anyone if the esk8.builders site moderators want to allow that they will, not my call.

My job is to continually drive the industry forward when i can, i believe that building an environment that caters to the world of “riders” is a great way of doing it… So i am doing it.

If you personally don’t agree and are scared of this change and future growth opportunities for this industry I cannot help you…

If I could vote and I can’t because the choice wasn’t given. It would be to bring back the events category on this forum. Let the club have its own events category. IMO the club’s event category should be allowed to grow just the same as the events category grew here. Stealing food from this forum and force feeding it to the club to make it more active only serves to distance the two. They would indeed come together and serve to help each other if allowed to grow on their own. Let the moderators do their jobs and moderate this forum as they see fit. With or without the category. But let them decide. It seems owner has new dreams and goals and a future in prebuilts and perhaps should spend time growing that community and worry less about diy. Though we are all truly thankful it (diy) is here.

The “club” should be a category within this forum. The original eSkate forum.

My $.05 are my $.05 and cannot be changed because we no longer use pennies :confused: in the great white north eh!

Speak up or you will not be heard.

3 Likes