California loses another rider

This is how you get Regulation - big f@#$ing “R” regulation. Push all responsibility onto the consumer, who WILL come back at you with lawsuits at first, then with laws and Regulations.

An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure, don’t you think?

Regarding seatbelts - exactly. You have been educated in their use and why you should wear them as the outcomes for those who fail to use them are generally poor. That is a universe away from a car that has no seatbelts and the end-user has to install them. The analogy holds - if a manufacturer ships you properly-sized helmet, pads and a product manual with your brand new eskate that intent is similar to a seatbelt (here’s a safety system for the dangerous-as-f@#$ thing we just sold you). Selling one without those safety systems in place (or even a general explanation of how to not die while using it) is an open invitation to get sued. A rider can choose to not use the manufacturer-provided safety system - that’s their choice, but the manufacturer cannot be blamed for negligence.

1 Like

Ok, I see your point now. But that’s even pushing towards a driving license for eboards, no ? Bicycle/ motorbike. skateboard/eboard?

1 Like

The biggest problem when it comes to helmets is that even though it’s encouraged, and even if you inform people of the dangers of NOT wearing one, there will always be people who think they are the EXCEPTION to the rule and go without. Same crap with seatbelts.

A serious head injury can occur just from a fall. Now imagine falling off a board that’s going 20MPH.

I am surrounded by motorcyclists and moped riders and they usually, at minimum, have a helmet on before even starting up their bikes. Most prefer to be fully padded up along with the helmet. They throw a fit when they see a video or ad with some idiot riding a motorcycle or moped without a helmet on.

Condolences to the family though…but this is, once again, a lesson for all of us. WEAR A HELMET AT ALL TIMES.

1 Like

that’s fine, exceptions are perfectly normal and always present…what we have had is debate, controversy and people wishing to not even have the hard discussions…What I propose is to make those who don’t wear helmets the exception…correct…and the norm, or the majority should all be wearing them…it should be ingrained within our culture…creating an exception, verses continuing to have debate…

There will always be exceptions to everything, we cannot change that fact, but we can help create what is the norm or the accepted rule. Let people latch onto this as a reason to display not wearing them, let it be an opportunity to be that exception and watch what happens…I’ve been watching long enough now to see the patterns…if you survive your 1st big crash, you will understand safety and complacency…if not, you haven’t crashed yet, and let’s just hope you do survive…the few who have lived to talk about it all have the same message…and they know best…

2 Likes

Exactly. I don’t want to see that (licensing/insurance/etc) either. I want the market to regulate itself, but right now this is the wild west, and until manufacturers start to realize this and start to behave in the best interests of the consumer this is the path we’re marching down - Regulation. And that outcome is going to SUCK. It really is in the best interests of mfg’s to get in line and start thinking about safety first, not as an afterthought.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

2 Likes

I should rephrase : the people that don’t wear helmets but know they should, when I said they think they are the exception, I meant they think they couldn’t ever get hurt. Or that they won’t crash or they can bail perfectly in every given situation if something goes south.

I’ve seen it too many times. Even if the evidence is right in front of them, they still believe they are the exception. And you can repeat “Wear a helmet” till you’re blue in the face, but these kind of people will only go their way and their way only.

People are capable of making their own decisions. Give them the information, warnings, etc but if they don’t want to heed them, then they will have to deal with the consequences of their choices.

2 Likes

That video is a perfect illustration of bad behavior.

@onloop apparently gives zero f@#$s about his customers or his company - directly exposes people to danger and the very real possibility of death while at the same time exposing his company to huge liability (damn, not even a liability waiver or a closed course - people walking around the ‘course’ FFS). Lets people with ZERO EXPERIENCE ride an eskate with no helmet. It’s an object lesson in what NOT TO DO, and he’s setting the tone FROM THE TOP.

9 Likes

Very true man

I’m saddened to see another amazing member of the community gone. I wish the best for Randy’s family and loved ones.

The idea that everyone should wear a helmet all the time is a great one. The reality though, is that there will always be people that don’t wear helmets. But what’s really fucked up is influential companies not taking those safety procautions themselves. Personally, I almost never wear a helmet, I have 2 speed modes on my board (Metr.at), “No Helmet” and “Helmet”. My “No Helmet” mode is the same, but speed is limited to around 12 mph. If you don’t want to wear a helmet, then please, for your own sake, limit your speed.

I offer and advise everyone who thinks of buying or rides to buy helmets and at least light eco pads. NO ONE CAN STAND ON,LET ALONE RIDE A BUILD FROM US WITHOUT A HELMET AT MEETS OR RIDES We want to advocate safety above all. Even the not so expensive triple 8 gear will save your life. In the few months we have been starting 2 have lost their lives and I see one thread among them. No protection. Please protect yourself.

2 is too many… ADVICATE SAFTY BEFORE SALE

HYPER ION BROS

1 Like

I make everyone wear a helmet before they ride my boards around me. that included Derek…

I keep seeing the same 2 tones in these discussions. 2 sides. To those of you on either side, I’ll ask you if you are capable of seeing the gray area?

-3 kids all of a sudden with no father. a wife now widowed. Countless friends and family members with nothing left but memories.

I wear a helmet because It ain’t about me.

Put a fucking helmet on.

32 Likes

Man. I think before it gets out of hand, one or all protective wear companies need to be approached, I’m finding it hard to get a deal on bulk direct. I’m having to go around and catch bulk companies unloading quantities. I think the cities need to be approached as well. Enough support and I’m sure the increase in accidents will bring some laws about. My angle is to be proactive with it and involved. Before we end up with laws we don’t like.

2 Likes

And right on, I have kids too. I’m 45 and don’t wish to be a memory anytime soon… TEACH THEM YOUNG THAT ITS COOL TO PROTECT YOUR HEAD PLEASE (and no. The board isn’t ON around my 3 year old. He just likes to pretend)

7 Likes

+1 for this.

even tho i’ve never had to use it, it’s easily the best purchase of my life.

5 Likes

I would say use it brother. We need everyone here!!!

It looks really nice. Go pro ready. Very nice

1 Like

oh believe me, I wear it, it’s just never taken a hit.

@Acidfie @mmaner take it elsewhere guys - start a thread - respect

1 Like

Gotcha, I was thinking you hadn’t used it. That will do better than the trip8, but at this point anything old motor cycle helmet. Anything will help. And the shit happens to fast for most to know to roll or jump off. I have seen the inexperienced ride it to the point of impact. Tuck duck and roll with a helmet.