Configuration and telemetry for VESC [iOS, Android]

You can connect the module how you like, master or slave. It should work both ways. :thumbsup:

1 Like

Perimetr should work should work with the stock firmware since Benjamin accepted your pull request right? When I tried to change the settings I got a connection error and then i had to redo the motor detection to it get back to work

Yes, Perimetr works fine with the stock firmware since v3.29

2 Likes

@rpasichnyk perimetr now works but I had to plug the BT module into the slave to be able to change settings on both vescs. Not sure if a bug with the software but when it was on the master, it could only read/write settings on just one vesc (even if it detected both).

Also, my module seems to disconnect a lot while riding (I have an iPhone 6) and I’m not sure why. Module is connected to FOCBOX and it does the same when on the master or slave. It sits on vibration damping rubber and the UART connection seems solid, but it still disconnects very often (every 1 to 3 minutes or so). Any ideas why? It doesn’t seem to disconnect while standing still but i’ve moved it about and checked all connections and it seems solid, yet I can’t get it to stop disconnecting.

It sometimes happens when module (or wires) are too close to phase wires, they create interference. One way to help that is to change layout of wires, move the module away. Another is to change baud rate on the module from 115200 to 9600, but in order to do that you need something like FT232RL (https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=FT232RL)

1 Like

An Arduino do the job as well, and it’s more easier to find one (or a lot :smile: ) lying around. Do Perimetr check the FW version to authorize connection ? I mean, if the config structure changes from one version to a new one, you don’t want stuff to be messed up by a wrong (de)serialization, right ?

Yes it does a very basic check

function is3x() {
    return major == 3 && minor >= 24;
  }

This creates more risk but saves me from constantly updating the app. Fortunately both original and Ackmaniac firmware have same structure in 3.x firmware and I hope it will not be changed :pray:

The point is that Vedder is constantly adding new parameters in config struct (see the latest commit of 3.33 few hours ago : https://github.com/vedderb/bldc/commit/5348662197c69a00b7bdea42423674e339db3976). Now, for instance, app_conf has changed introducing CAN baudrate so it shifts the structure.

So if you serialize/deserialize a new FW with an old structure you may mess stuffs up, right ?

Thanks for the heads up! As far as I can see, that is app_configuration structure, I don’t use that. I read and write mc_configuration only, we are good, no explosions this time :slight_smile: VESC is far away from foolproof and it’s good to keep your eyes on the changes or ask if not sure!

1 Like

Hey, one suggestion I have is to be able to set the unit system of things independently. For example, I want distance and speed in imperial but temperatures in metric. Mainly because I know temperature limits of electronics in the metric system but I have no feeling for km/h or kms

Yes please, can we have this?

@PXSS @egzplicit I remember someone already asked about this, I will do soon! :thumbsup:

1 Like

Also add in a tutorial on your website, or something. I keep “discovering” features as I use it more but I wish there was a manual or something that I could just look up.

For example, resetting the stats is not very intuitive. I ran across it by accident

2 Likes

Another feature you’re missing! Total distance, this would be a counter that doesn’t reset when you reset the stats and would be used to keep track of the total distance a board has traveled. It could be manually set or reset (if you change bt module or put it on a new build, for example) but would be independent of the other stats.

Making your app better one feature at a time!

Do you know if I can use perimetr with Ackmaniacs custom 3.100 firmware??

1 Like

After looking at Ackmaniacs code on GitHub I would say that you can use it and it should work, but I haven’t tested it.

I’ll test and report back

1 Like

The modes feature won’t work without custom firmware right? Or newer than v2.18? I still run the “newest of the old” firmware. :slight_smile:

The modes feature will work with all 3.x firmwares, but not with 2.x. Time to upgrade! :slight_smile:

Alright! :wink: Btw. I have a little feature request. Would it be possible to add an override for end-of-charge voltage, as well as the low-voltage notification? I have two boards, one 8s, and one 10s, and they require different alarms. :slight_smile:

That’s interesting. Do you mean so you can get notified while charging both? If you mean each on it’s own then you can change the name and make aliases for each board. I named one on my boards “yung many baby” for fun. Well I guess it really names each module. You can set separate parameters by clicking the blue settings wheel. You have to do it for each module.