Configuration and telemetry for VESC [iOS, Android]

I mean each on it’s own. I already set the separate parameters available for each board, but since the end-of-charge and low-voltage differ on the two boards, I want these parameters to be available to each module. As of right now I can only add a global end-of-charge and low-voltage.

1 Like

Yup that would be a cool addition. Good point.

Do You think soldering an external antenna wire to a PCB, and cutting the trace to onboard one could help with getting more stable connection? I get dropouts almost constantly when I ride, it usually does not affect a record too much, but constant notifications “Bluetooth disconnected” are annoying. In my eMTB there’s heat-sink and vesc between module and my phone, I blame that for these drop outs, but I could move an external antenna out of the the electronics box along power wires.

I brought the idea of different board profiles previously there are many users who would wish to connect the same smartphone to multiple board a good reason is different voltage alarms agreed :+1:

There is also the option to disable notifications if the antenna thing is a no go, and that’s the main thing bothering you

I’m aware of that, but sometimes it’s not notifications that bother me, the record stops, happened once or twice. I just would like to have reliable connection :wink:

3 Likes

Need someone from the antenna expert community to opine on this, and the how relevant relationship between frequency and antenna length, etc optimization is for this purpose

6km ride just now and … NOthing record :scream: Noooooooo Apps always disconnect connect … and cause of I dont know I haven’t any backup from the today ride … just 5 fodler of 100m or less … And now, I test with the module outside of the box (no close to the phase wires and it got a ferrite inside) ! Phone correctly set to let the apps open etc …) Since I got it I only get 1 ride reccorded (and just 0.84km :disappointed_relieved: )

what can I do more (I will try to test with 9600b I don’t know how :blush:

thanks for your help guys

Bluetooth use 2,4 GHz frequency as far as I know, so any standard RC transmitter/receiver antenna have optimized length.

@fraannk I agree it makes sense to expand the range of settings that are stored per module. I will fix it!

@caustin it is possible that the problem is not the antenna, but the actual wires between VESC and BT module. @Jinra explains it in post #333 So one way to combat the problem might be to shorten and / or shield the wires.

@squad @Riako Some time ago I changed the baud rate from 115200 to 9600 on the module that I use on my skateboard and it helped, I get less disconnects now. Unfortunately as mentioned before, you need something like FT232RL or Arduino in order to do that. You need to send AT+BAUD4 command to to the module. I used FT232RL connected to my Mac and run this in the Terminal:

echo -n -e "AT+BAUD4\r\n" > /dev/cu.usbserial-A50285BI

You can send your module back and I will do it for you, if you wish. After this don’t forget to change baud rate in VESC Tool as well.

3 Likes

In my case they’re already shortened and have one third of original length.

I’m tempted to try the trick with an external antenna, If this won’t help I’ll try changing baud rate.

1 Like

Anniversary update is now live! Check post below!

8 Likes

@squad

TLDR: I was having bt connection issues from the button on the module getting pressed. I removed it and now the issues are gone.

I started having issues with the bt connection staying alive when riding around campus. The only difference between there and when I tested at home was the bumpiness of the road.

After troubleshooting, I realized that the slight flex was pressing the bt module against the side of the enclosure making it disconnect.

I opened it up and noticed that if I press the button on the module it disconnects so I removed it since I wont be messing with the firmware in it.

No more disconnect issues! You should give this a try, it may be the culprit of your issues too.

5 Likes

HMG !!! Why we didnt think about that before ! I wanna try this tomorow !! Hard to remove ?

@rpasichnyk, what is this button for ?

Its the reset button. It pegs the reset pin to ground when pressed. You only need it when programming if your device fails to reboot during the process. It’s not needed afterwards.

1 Like

Wow! I just see the update in apple store

you really developed the app again, thank you for the all effort

will try the new features next coming days!

Exactly :one: year ago https://metr.at was launched :cake: :candle: The feedback of the community was fantastic and I am enjoying this project so much! I got a lot of help, I am really grateful to all of you who supported me with ideas and testing, financially and just with a good word. I prepared a big anniversary update and hope that you like it! It is now live! :fireworks: Here is what it has:

A couple of small features suggested by forum members. They were easy to implement but are very useful :thumbsup:

:ballot_box_with_check: Add record to favorites so it stays on top of the list (thanks @MontPierre) :ballot_box_with_check: Add fault code marker for the record (thanks @jmasta)

Keep your ideas coming! They can be small or big, stupid or smart, doesn’t matter I like to see them anyway! :heart:

:wavy_dash::wavy_dash::wavy_dash::wavy_dash::wavy_dash::wavy_dash::wavy_dash::wavy_dash::wavy_dash:

Next the new Overlay. Available for Windows and Mac, get it here: https://metr.at/overlay It is very easy to use, you do not need a manual!

Supported features: :ballot_box_with_check: Variable resolutions (1080p, 4K, etc) :ballot_box_with_check: Use video from your phone or from action camera :ballot_box_with_check: Multiple video file import (for example GoPro splits each 4GB) :ballot_box_with_check: Automatic offset calculation based on video start time :ballot_box_with_check: Setting start and end time to encode only a part of the video :ballot_box_with_check: Overlay with video or transparent background for further editing

Right now it has some basic text widgets. I will add more in the future: :heavy_minus_sign: gauge (for speed, current and power) :heavy_minus_sign: map tracker, elevation tracker :heavy_minus_sign: pre-installed presets :grey_question: (tell me what you think is cool)

If you use GoPro I recommend to connect it with usb cable and run GoPro Quick before you start recording videos to sync time. By doing this Overlay will match the offset automatically between the record and the video.

:wavy_dash::wavy_dash::wavy_dash::wavy_dash::wavy_dash::wavy_dash::wavy_dash::wavy_dash::wavy_dash:

Another big feature is Modes. Each mode is a cut-down version of Motor Configuration (it has only limits). When you apply the mode, it will load existing configuration from the VESC, modify the limits, and write it back. Oh, and it will do it for all of your VESCs via CAN :electric_plug:

It is easy to edit the mode, change the name and values :pencil2:

You can also share it! :globe_with_meridians: And just like the records, modes support oneboxing, so when you paste the url https://metr.at/m/3ZaR on the forum, it turns out to this

The QR code is there for a reason, you can scan it with the app to import

The limits in Modes are basic, but I will extend them in the future when I figure out a nice way. For example speed limit km/h would be very useful.

I also added TCP Server to the app. This makes possible to connect with Desktop version of the VESC-Tool over Wi-Fi over BLE to your VESC and do things like read/write motor/app configuration and do motor detection. Realtime data and firmware update did not work well for me unfortunately, because of the speed limit :thunder_cloud_rain:

A new small feature “Multiply Data”. It will multiply realtime current and power by the number of VESCs. If you don’t like it, you can disable it. I added it since I already had VESC-count detection mechanism over CAN and thought it can be useful. Finally you don’t need to explain that you are running dual setup and logging values are only for one VESC :wink:

Along the way I squashed :bug: :hammer: some nasty bugs, for example the one with Record not being stopped after the VESC is powered down (ping @sebaszz). Thanks to @hexakopter for helping out with many things, @egzplicit for overlay suggestions and @i2oadsweepei2 for the crazy iPad layout screenshot (I liked it :joy:). Thanks to everyone who answers in this topic when I don’t have time, you are the best!

The journey continues! :rocket:

18 Likes

Hey Roman, some great work! I just tried to test modes but unfortunately they don’t seem to work for me, I believe app changes something other than just current limits, I have hall sensors set up in both motors and one has “invert motor direction” enabled in VESC tool, after updating slow mode motors just won’t spin, I mean they try to rotate but no success.

And now another thing, I see Ben released newer VESC tool than v 0.84 on Your github, could You port the newest version too?

BTW. keep us updated how meeting with Benjamin goes :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for reporting the problem! Can you please

1. Apply motor conf that works for you with VESC-Tool and save xml
  2. Apply mode, reconnect with VESC-Tool and save another xml
  3. Send me both so I can look where it goes wrong It would be very helpful :slight_smile:

Yeah I recently visited Benjamin and I am very happy that I got the chance. I can only say that he is definitely the most talented and productive person I have ever met. He is just amazing :blush:

1 Like

Send me a PM with Your email I have those saved on my desktop for You, It’s as I mentioned. even if I create a profile using working settings from my vescs (set previously via vesc tool on my mac) after trying to restore it by metr it won’t work.

1 Like