Crazy experiments

I would like to make a thread dedicated to crazy ideas and experiences that people have tried doing crazy stuff.My first crazy idea is has anyone tried doing a hub motor with a kv motor so it’s a hub motor that has a drive wheel built in, would there be any power increase or decrease, I assume you would have to get a teeth to match the kv , would it just be more torque ?

You idea and how you explained it doesnt make logical sense. You may be talking about planetary geared hub motors or direct drive motors, but that has already been done.

I think he means a belt setup on a hub motor driven wheel - basically two motors for one wheel. Add a pulley to a hub motor and you should be able to easily realize this. Not sure about the benefits though.

2 Likes

Yes referring to that

1 Like

A little crazy but interesting. Hard to say about the advantages. Could be easily accomplished with two rear belt driven motors and two front hub motors or vice versa. Carvon had something similar in mind, but never really went with it.

1 Like

i think this is what @scepterr wants to do with his carvons. dual 6374s on the front and some v4s on the back, ask him

1 Like

Black Tandem Axle Wheel Kit Set for Skateboard Cruiser Longboard Penny Truck https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01IKLAGYA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Wv0.zb572P6QG

how about 6 hub motor build

1 Like

that would be sick. I wondered before if you could use these but mount normal motor to the plate and belt it to both wheels

I’ve got a plan including a 14S5P battery pack with 4xVESC 6.0 and 4x 140kv hub motors… To be continued…

1 Like

Crazy idea here. I see some having problem with battery/enclosure clearances from their boards, or battery capacity/ranges. Also, I’m sure some wants a clean setup. My idea is to have a battery backpack. Thinking like, for example, 10s10p. To connect the battery backpack to the board, I was thinking like a coiled cord with magnetic connector (Rosenberger) but can’t find that can handle at least 100a. So will settle with xt90 for now. I guess this is very practical if you want range.

2 Likes

the issue i see with this is that you have to shoulder the load of a huge weight for a long time. 100 cells adds up quick! Then you have a cable you might trip over, and that can potentially get tangled in your legs. Additionally the board would be very light while the rider is very heavy so there might be a tendency for the board to accelerate out from under you, unless your stance is really strong. if you do fall off the board, now you can’t brake it because it’s no longer powered, or its dragging you along with it. you’ll also have like 100 volatile batteries strapped to your back which will hurt like a bitch if you land on them, assuming they don’t catch fire

1 Like

I think the battery backpack gets you a automatic entry in to the 2017 Darwin Awards

5 Likes

Maybe make a little trailer to put all the cells on? Just with 2 wheels and a waterproof box. Seems like I read on here somewhere about something like this…

2 Likes

sounds like a buffet for speed wobbles. the trailer would also probably be really hard to stabilize. I’d really like to see if anyone has tried though, sounds interesting.

1 Like

Yup, that’s true. That’s why coiled cord with magnetic connector make sense. Will just retract or spring back up when it’s disconnected. Yes, possibly dangerous for inexperienced rider. Yes, you won’t able to stop the board once you fall, just like a regular non-powered board. Yeah it’s a crazy idea, needs more research. But eventually, innovative parts will pop-up.

Im doing something along these lines as well. Im putting an old 10S3P pack in my back pack then running a coiled wired to a 36W helmet mounted headlamp. I think it will work for my mountain board much better than a board mounted lamp that sucks power of my main battery. Only issue I see is that I could blind oncoming cars but thats not much off a concern since primary use would be off road.

2 Likes

Is it really that stupid?

I would have supported that idea if they hadn’t used one-way bearings. I don’t trust those.

At that point, maybe instead use 4 x VESC and 2 x 110kv motors and 2 x 225kv motors

I tried, and it didn’t work. Working on version 2. This person, whoever it is, successfully did it