Distance records on one charge

This seems worthy to become a thing: http://www.concretewavemagazine.com/single-post/2017/10/26/50-Miles-on-a-Single-Charge

A 10S 27,000 mAh battery. That’s the only reason it happens.

2 Likes

He put 6 of those ebay battery packs in there lol , thats why theres 6 bmses

1 Like

36v x 27 ah = 972 Wh… so who knows… maybe 97km would be possible, if not even more when riding at 6-8wh/km

That enclosure is atrocious LOL. 50 mile is impressive though. Imagine if he actually didn’t use garbage cells?

Seems that he used about 120 cells. 120 30q’s would give SO MUCH RANGE.

y’all…

he’s on the forum

@squishy654

2 Likes

I have a board use 6S 30000mah LIPO, 97mm wheels. but I think I can’t drive that long, my leg will tremble after 20km…

1 Like

uh… yea only as of 5 hours ago

3 Likes

Yeah sorry, been lurking for a while…I’m here…what do you want to know?

2 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

Do you have a diagram drawn that shows how you mounted the batteries? I’m working on my first board right now and I’m looking to mount 4 x 3000mAh 5S1P. 2 in parallel and 2 in series

This is what I got so far but I feel like I’m making a rookie mistake so I’m still open to suggestions!

Hmm the batteries are using xt 60 connectors right? edit: Oh yea, make sure to get an anti spark xt90 instead of just a normal xt90 loopkey for the loopkey.

hahah I kinda didn’t intend to turn this into suggestions for me type of thing going on, Thanks for the suggestion though!

I was just curious how @squishy654 has his massive amount of batteries all connected

Did those suspension trucks help with the ride? What are they like? I know you said you were trialling them…

2 Likes

Nope, that’s not the only reason. Don’t forget the Turnigy 120 kv (just one under that board). One hell of an efficient motor right there. :wink:

You are on the right track, I used xt60’s for each battery and built a wiring harness that increased the sized of wire as I added the splices. Remember the gauge of wire needs to be able to carry the load. My max amperage is potentially 120amps and the battery could be used for a speed setup still if wanted, if you are trying to reduce weight and counting grams then maybe smaller gauge wire rated for 50 amps might be wanted, but I wouldn’t risk it. I just bought some rolls of silicon wires from Amazon in 18, 16, 14, 12, 10 and 8 gauges and then used them where appropriate. You can see in the above picture the wires laid out as I used them, to build the dongle I stripped a length of the larger gauge and split it into two stands and then soldered 3 wires to each consecutively and not all in the same place, like in a line so each has sufficient connection. it’s the part wrapped in white heat shrink in the battery bay…

2 Likes

yup, all my xt90’s are anti-spark, but I don’t really need it as the vesc has built in spark protection. But it’s a nice piece of mind and a good reminder to everyone…

1 Like

Yeah, I am just testing the trucks, actually meeting with them today and hope some good will come from it, I will keep you posted. They are a spring steel baseplate and precision rkp hanger. These are a stop gap one-of-a-kind and also butchered by a bandsaw to get the motor mount on. The trucks have been the most interesting part of the project so far and really help with fatigue over long distances but they don’t take away all the strain and issues with your feet, they do help alot though. The deck flexes and takes initial small bumps, the wheels are 90mm soft abex11 classics and take on some road chatter as well, the trucks really shine when I hit any undulations or bumps in excess of 100mm and they take in the shock and soften the blow like nothing happened, it’s actually a safety feature now and I can run over anything like I’m on AT tires and I do when riding with buddies who are using AT tires, lol I hope to be adding the 107mm wheels to make the truck work even better and we’ll see what the next version is like as well…I’m also open to deck ideas, as I have discovered it’s the primary suspension you have, it’s important to have it tuned perfect for your weight.

I have actually since upgraded the motor and been experimenting with gear ratios. I’m on a 59mm sk3 149kv now that uses a few hundred more total watts, in this way I am only at half throttle during cruise speeds and can go 23mph if wanted…same gear ratio or an 11t/36t for more hill climbing. I’m still new to the ratios and any suggestions to make it more efficient are welcome. I have contacted Carvon already but I don’t see how I can adapt to their system unless I create a custom baseplate…stay tuned! That might be easily done soon enough…

1 Like

Btw… do you know the real size of it? It says something like 5065… but it sort of does not look that tiny

1 Like