EMF Hub motor final sale!

The new urethan is of a lot higher quality and its is a little harder. I will post a video soon explaining the wheel problem a little more. Basically the current urethan you can push the edge with your finger you can see it lifting off of the motor. The new urethan can not do this.

Also it is a bit of a tighter fit.

I tried and tested replacing the motor can but the expense here is also replacing 28 magnets that cost about $1 each plus the $15 cost for the actual can. This still might be an option in the future.

Instead Iā€™m looking to make some inserts to fix the problem.

2 Likes

Sounds good!

1 Like

Hey @jacobbloy, could you share a mechanical drawing from the motorcan and the urethane with us? Maybe we can help you in figuring out a motorinsert that is easy to manufacture.

Itā€™s not about being easy itā€™s about cost.

I have -$3000 frozen in my PayPal account because of PayPal disputes and I havnt been successful in selling any more to replace these orders. so Iā€™m doing any and all modifications out of my wage. Just ordered $2000 in new urethane.

This is not about cost. With the 3D drawing of the can we could at least come up with a 3D printed solution to fill the gap between housing and urethane. We can then manufacture our own inserts that you donā€™t have to pay for.

Its about finding a solution. Right now youā€™re the one working on the problem, on your own, by your own choice. I get that you have a lot invested in this project. I, for one would have accepted the hubmotors ā€œas-isā€ with the current urethane and get a later revision of the urethane and pay for it as well. That isnā€™t the option you have chosen and I praise you for doing so. But Iā€™m sitting on my hands here, I want to help. Your customers are this community, and some want to help. Others want there money back. If you were running a normal shop, then all the customers would be wanting there money back by now. The reason I didnā€™t ask for a refund, is that I want you to succeed.

1 Like

i will post a drawing of the wheel but i have not had any sleeping problems on old urethan and the current new urethan i got samples for.

in my hub motor on a dyne video the dyno is actually spinning slower the the hub motor and there is urethan getting shredded off the of the wheel and no urethan slipping. ill post some videos very soon.

This is the drawings of the rotor, the wheel is meant to match if not be a smaller radius then this but it isnā€™t, it instead shrunk in the moulding process and is more like 34mm plus very flexible so it is compressing in the centre and allowing for the wheel to slip.

the new urethan is 31mm internal radius so it is tighter plus doesnā€™t have as much flex but is better quality so it doesnā€™t feel harder on the road.

1 Like

I was thinking about picking one of these up. Looks like the urethane issue is solved, but what about

"I tried and tested replacing the motor can but the expense here is also replacing 28 magnets that cost about $1 each plus the $15 cost for the actual can. This still might be an option in the future.

Instead Iā€™m looking to make some inserts to fix the problem."

Iā€™m only using one motor right now on 10s, and I havenā€™t noticed any slipping so far. Maybe itā€™s different when Iā€™m riding a dual hub setup, but I donā€™t see how that possible because I would fall off the board if I accelerate any faster. With that said, the urethane should be designed with tighter fit because I can definitely see a gap between the motor and the urethane if I really try to lift it.

can you tell a little about using them in a single setup? What kind of truck did you use for example? i am thinking of doing the same just because it is mostly flat where I ride and the torque of two motors is probably not really worth carrying the weight around all day while commuting. If you have some pictures that would be great. Thanks!

@righthere, Agree with you, and I respect the dedication of @jacobbloy. But even if you do so, it is sometime nice to get news. I have been paying 400$ for the EMF, then discover it is only 300$ few weeks later, sending only one mail and waiting for an answer (patiently). but it is a bit painful when there is no news or very few and discover there are big delays. Maybe this thread should not be name final sales but latest update. Anyway. I am waiting for those great EMF hubs, and good luck jacob for all the problems you are facing and as Righthere says, if you need help. let us know.

I have a dual motor setup, but Iā€™m only running a single hub at the moment. The trucks come with the hubs. Also, Iā€™m not sure if you want to replicate my setup, but hubs are considerably more simple to setup than with motor mount.

1 Like

I know - I have some already at home. I was just thinking of building two boards instead of one with the set I got so that I could give one to family, friends or even sell it. But then you need a new truck and need to modify it. But you are saying that one hub is already fine enough?

I have only ridden it at the speed of 14mph or below just to test the water a bit, but there is still quiet a lot of throttle left if want it to go faster.

Iā€™ve run mine on 6s and hit perhaps 12 or 13mph. Nothing stunning but no prob with the wheels so far. They tackle the hill from the local village no problem, just keep on trucking without creating too much heat. Looking forward to the vescs arriving and perhaps some newer urethane.

Running dual on 12s, I got up to about 25mph (40kph), but I think there is still a little more throttle left, since I was running Multistar (weaksauce) batteries on my short 30" board, so itā€™s hard to keep it floored for very long before I get uncomfortable going that fast on that short of a board. I did have urethane slipping issues under very hard acceleration when kicking off, but if I ease into the throttle a little bit, they stay put, and when braking hard, they seem to stay put. So for now, I think they are totally usable, Iā€™m just not able to tap into the full acceleration/torque potential at low speeds due to the slipping urethane. They seem like quality hubs, and feel quite powerful and torquey. Once the urethane is sorted out, I donā€™t think Iā€™ll have anything left to complain about. Lol. Good luck @jacobbloy! Weā€™re all rooting for you. :thumbsup:

Thanks every one for the good words regarding the hubs!

4 Likes

Perhaps a little sleep now and again might help Jacob? Are you on the night shift?

Hey @jacobbloy ,

today I inspected the motors I got and thought about doing two single motor boards. Did you ever publish that 3D file for the truck holes?

Also is the diameter of the motor cables supposed to be this thin? I measure 2mm but can still pinch them to even less because the shrink tube does not even fully enclose them. They are also quite long which gives me concern about the currents going through them. Is that an actual issue to worry about or standard on motors like this?

Thanks!