Enertion R-SPEC DRIVE KIT | Official Announcement Thread

He’s just referring to the liquid in the copper heat pipes embedded in the axle.

2 Likes

1 Like

It’s the type of cooling that is normally referred to as a heat pipe. It’s the type of thing you have in smartphones, laptops, PCs. No other industry (that I know of) refers to this kind of cooling as liquid cooling. That name is normally reserved for a system where you have a pump that circulates a liquid (that stays a liquid) from the hot part to a radiator.

4 Likes

I just finished my maiden ride on the R-Spec Drive Kit Unity bundle. They are so much more powerful than the other Hub motors I tried! (generic Meepo style and Maytech) Thanks @onloop for making them avaiable to people like me who already have all the other parts and bits needed to build a board! Just a few things I noted, the drag of the motors is stronger then from the other hubs I tried. I guess it’s because the R-Spec motors are way bigger and have stronger magnets. They are also a bit louder especially when braking, but the brakes are strong and nicely gradual. On my first run I didn’t maxed out the top speed but on bench testing with Unity UI the motors maxed out at 38 km/h with a 10S5P 30Q battery @Deodand is that a inaccurate measurement or the max speed I have to expect with 90mm wheels? The push to start feature is really well implemented, I had a generic ESC with that feature and I hated it because every so little movement on the motors would wake the ESC and make a beep! Honestly I thought I will never going to use it but now I love it! Is the 125°C max motor temperature the recommended setting or am I better off reducing this value? Once again thanks to @onloop and @Deodand the Unity is a big step in the direction to make diy esk8 building hassle free and accessible to everyone. Just a price point around the 150US$ mark would be a awsome future goal! Now I am waiting for the Metr. Pro module to work to be able to record and post more findings. @CarlCollins thanks from a happy customer for your guidance through the purchase!

3 Likes

Hey, the speed estimate is definitely wrong :slight_smile: on the HUD page there’s a little gear you can click in the right side of the page vertical center. When you click that this screen will pop up:

Screenshot_20181222-171415

That button test erpm-rpm is what you are looking for. It will become clickable when the board is connected to the app. Essentially have 10 pole pairs not 14 so once you run the calibration routine you should get a number of 10. You can also just input it manually if preferred.

3 Likes

Thanks! Got it it’s giving me 53km/h now. The board felt more like that anyway. Can I leave the 125° as they are, or better lower them? Really awsome work. Looking forward to your next developments.

The temperature limits are good where they are.

1 Like

hi !! i order too this kit, would you mind telling me how many Amp you set for the motor and how many Amp for the motor brake too … Thanks !! :slight_smile:

i have those motor too , and the value is set to 14 , so if i understand i should set it at 10 ?? Thanks !!

I used all default values suggested by the Unity. The settings are depending on your other components too. What max. discharge is your battery capable off etc. I have a 10S5P 30Q battery with a 70 amp BMS, so 30 battery discharge amps for each motor is fine. The motor amps, I left them just at the default 60 / -60. But during my first long run 20km, I ran into overheating problems after around 6-7km, with the settings how they are. Today i will open my board again and use the Focbox tool instead of the UI to see properly what I am doing.

ohhh okok :confused: ! how do you know when its overheating?? did the board just stop ?

No, it slows down considerably and in the HUD tab of the Focbox UI the temp. readings are over 100° C. But at this point everything can be error on my side. I used the UI for the first time , so my settings can be off. I will set my board with the Focbox tool now, because that is what I am used too and will see how it turns out.

1 Like

if i plugged this into my 12s2p battery with the same regulations I used with my 6355 motors, would that be okay or am i stupid

No you can’t do this, you need to do at least motor detection! Which ESC are you using? I would recommend to use specific settings geared to those motors! @tardyparty7

thanks, i don’t like breaking bones. Im using the torqueboard vesc and do u know what r the best settings?

I am running 10S, so can’t tell you for 12S specifically. The motors are getting hot quickly, so not more then 60 motor amps per motor are recommended. The battery amps, I would not go more then 30, I think 20-25 amps per motor are preferred. Watch your motor temps closely, mine where at more then 100°C after about 7km riding in cruising speed. I still have to find the sweet spot between heating and performance. I hope that enertion is publishing some recommendations for those motors. Let me know your findings I am a bit baffled by the heating of the motors.

1 Like

image image image image image image image image image image image image image image

Some pictures of the insides. Tried my best to measure laminations and got 0.25mm

10 Likes

2 Likes

It seems like the cooling solutions aren’t solving their heating problems? I talked to a rep over their chat and while the unity was tested it seems like the new urethane and motors weren’t thoroughly tested and so those receiving them are the ones doing the testing. When I asked roughly how long the urethane would last before needing to be swapped I was told they had no idea. The unity seems to have been more thoroughly tested and I’m not saying this to bash enertion, but I’m honestly curious why they can’t solve the Cooling problem with their Motors, by now it seems like it’s either bad design of the motor itself or ineffective cooling issues, perhaps making the motors themselves larger or switching out the thin wire for thicker wire may help idk? Maybe I’m misreading this whole thing but I really wanted to see these hubs succeed

Believe me, I want the hubs to succeed too because I spent serious money on them. I still don’t want to make any conclusions on my side, at the moment I am in talk with @barajabali to sort out if I missed something at the setup stage. My Unity drops bluetooth connection every few second, but this could be also a problem with my phone. I tried to test it with my Laptop, but on the Windows UI bluetooth is still not working. Enertion was certainly under time pressure with not too many human resources and first priority was to meet the promised schedule.